Transit Service Discussion (Articulated/Conventional/Shuttle/Skytrain/Seabus)

cleowin

2 hours ago, 9924 said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/metro-vancouver-transit-strike-jan-22-1.7090592

temp-Image0-Ji3uv.jpg

Ummmm, no.  The bus drivers did not say this - their Union directed them - very big difference.

It's the media, they are usually inaccurate, and often it takes just one word to change a whole story. It's like telling someone a story and then passing it around a group, by the time it goes around the circle it's a different story.  

14 hours ago, Untitled Transit said:

Hearing that TComm is already starting to pull off buses!

- Union notifies the public if a strike is to occur, the deadline is 300am.

- Public makes arrangements based on that statement and ensures they finish their travel by 300am.

- Buses start to get pulled off the road 2 hours before the strike deadline, a deadline which was publicly announced, stranding passengers who should have been safe as they travelled before the deadline.

giphy.gif

46 minutes ago, Transitfan2022 said:

Every time I see a post here, I hope to see "a deal has been reached" 

Don't expect the news from us - we're always the last to know 😅

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Phillip said:

You're sharp 😉

Meh, its a skill one masters after many years doing what we do - listening in on passengers conversations, talking to yourself for 8 hours straight 🤪

52 minutes ago, FL04DIFN said:

West Vancouver Municipal Transit has joined the strike.

Source?

There were a couple of media sites stating this but those articles have been removed.

CUPE is supposedly making a public announcement at 1400, if the LB has approved any more picket sites effecting other services, I wouldn't think it would be announced before then.

EDIT:  According to both CUPE and Translink, the LB has not had a hearing on the complaint so other picket lines (including Blue Bus) are not permitted until the LB makes a ruling.

58 minutes ago, 9924 said:

Disable the "Live" feature and scroll back to the beginning ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KC7CikqgZs

Yeah I watched the live view, only now it got his attention.

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

Meh, its a skill one masters after many years doing what we do - listening in on passengers conversations, talking to yourself for 8 hours straight 🤪

I know exactly what you mean 😉

CUPE:  "We want wage parity with other supervisors within Translink because its the same job"

TL:  "The roles between supervisors in different parts of Translink are different"

CUPE:  "No two jobs are alike"

confused-nerd-steve-brule-eixtr1f0qii8fthl.gif

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Rd320 said:

They were running as of an hour ago when i left West Vancouver

I have a feeling a couple of media outlets and jumped the gun with that - either that or the poster got some bad info from an employee.

Regardless, the LB has not set a time for a hearing, so no picket lines at Skytrain or Blue Bus.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

I have a feeling a couple of media outlets and jumped the gun with that - either that or the poster got some bad info from an employee.

Regardless, the LB has not set a time for a hearing, so no picket lines at Skytrain or Blue Bus.

Serious question.  You said you were on vacation this week (I think that's what AV means, right).  Since the drivers won't be getting paid for these two days because of the strike and will instead get strike pay, does that mean operators such as you who are on vacation also won't get paid in the same way?

If so, that's crummy as you aren't technically participating.

Oh and also, it was ATU that reported they were joining the strike in solidarity then backtracked when they (rightly) realized they couldn't.

1 hour ago, TransitCurling said:

Since the drivers won't be getting paid for these two days because of the strike and will instead get strike pay, does that mean operators such as you who are on vacation also won't get paid in the same way?

AV is earned so it's paid.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TransitCurling said:

Serious question.  You said you were on vacation this week (I think that's what AV means, right).  Since the drivers won't be getting paid for these two days because of the strike and will instead get strike pay, does that mean operators such as you who are on vacation also won't get paid in the same way?

If so, that's crummy as you aren't technically participating.

Oh and also, it was ATU that reported they were joining the strike in solidarity then backtracked when they (rightly) realized they couldn't.

AV = Annual Vacation, so yeah, it's holiday pay.  As Captaintrolley  pointed out, it's somewhat earned.  Basically, like most jobs, they withhold a certain percentage of your pay (I believe its usually around the 2% mark, but I could be wrong on that) of your pay and it gets banked, so when you take your holiday the following year, the money you banked, pays for your holiday.  Its a bit different for us, but the general idea stays the same.

How this will affect my holiday pay, I don't know.  But, for those who were supposed to work today and tomorrow, will not be being paid nor will they get any strike pay as technically, we aren't on strike, so the drivers/mechanics/office people who weren't allowed to cross the picket line as directed by their respective Unions just lost 2 days of pay.

What really frustrates me though, is the position that CUPE has put the drivers in - because when we go back to work on Wednesday, we are the ones who have to face the public.  We are the ones that the public will direct their anger and frustration at.  We're the ones who will be verbally accosted at.  Yet we, in reality, were put in the same boat as the customers.  We were literally forced out of work, lost 2 days of wages, and now have to deal with the anger and frustration from the general public - and thats just not right.

In regards to West Van and the ATU saying they were in solidarity, thats where things kind of go back to what you were saying before.  It's one thing to say you're in solidarity, but you also have legal obligations to fulfill if that makes sense.  For us, it may be a little bit different, and it all depends on what the Labour Board considers legal or illegal.  But this is the beef I have with the Union culture in Canada (and the US).  Our Union, is also telling the public that we are standing in solidarity with CUPE - yet they didn't ask us - it's just a blanket statement that Unions have to use to display relevance.   I've worked in other countries where the Union culture is very different - here its still the old mob mentality of Unions and solidarity over everything Jimmy Hoffa style of thinking.  Thats history, labour laws have evolved and while Unions still have a necessary role in the work place  they need to evolve their mindset and focus as well.  Just listen to how Liam O'Neill talks, its no different than how Unions Leaders of the 50s/60s70s/80s talked - but the workforce has changed since then, and the Unions just haven't evolved.

Solidarity is good, and necessary, but it does have its limits.

Like I said before, there are a lot of legal questions that don't have a lot of clear answers to, so I'm using this as a learning experience to hopefully understand the process a bit more.

• Like 2

Isn't T-Comm supervisors part of CUPE 4500? That would be why WVMT isn't showing on T-Comm (where majority is cmbc)

So yes T-Comm is just there waiting for the end of this madness to return to normal..... It's just TransLink API.

8 hours ago, Busmanic92 said:

Isn't T-Comm supervisors part of CUPE 4500? That would be why WVMT isn't showing on T-Comm (where majority is cmbc)

So yes T-Comm is just there waiting for the end of this madness to return to normal..... It's just TransLink API.

Yes, T-Comm Supervisors are part of CUPE 4500