Malaspina Coach Lines

roeco

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Walked in the brutal heat on Evans Ave basically the whole length of Terminal to hunt for the PCL D3 but to no avail. But I went and checked on the MC-5C's from Malaspina:

14789389287_ca92ba8c51_z.jpgMalaspina Coach Lines MCi MC-5 by Translink fan, on Flickr

14789147529_1f93c25f05_z.jpgMalaspina Coach Lines MCi MC-5 by Translink fan, on Flickr

14975474612_ec5f7d2547_z.jpgMalaspina Coach Lines MCi MC-5 by Translink fan, on Flickr

• 4 months later...

Pains me to post this but looks like Eagle 8 is now up for sale. She has been undecaled and everything. She is now listed for $295,000. I found her while google searching some H3-41's. She is being sold by a broker out in Minnesota. Here's the link to the ad. Sad to see such a nice coach go.

http://busesandmore.com/buses/2007-Prevost-H341-Executive-Coach.shtml

What coach are they going to use for their runs? Don't tell me they are going back to using the MCI MC5s...

I've heard they've been using Mercedes Sprinters What's wrong with the 5C's? For a run like this you can't afford to run a new coach the market won't bare the costs. What's the point of having a coach on a run when you're not making enough to pay for it?

I wonder who will save those 5's?

BTW, the MC-5C could be had with an 8V71 but only with the 5-speed manual or the Allison MT644 automatic. The HT740 is too long behind the 8V71 to fit properly.

~Ben

The MC-5's have been sitting and for sale awhile. They are very sluggish on the slightest hills and they are in a bit of rough shape. The H3-41, although a nice bus to have on the run, a run like that will wear out the bus. Especially with that ZF transmission and the constant stop and go in city. Also bear in mind ferry costs for a coach is high. Sprinters are relatively cheaper on the ferry correct me if i'm wrong.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Malaspina Coach has temporarily Suspended service to the Sunshine Coast...and from the looks of it their may not be any service for a while...Their Sprinters were seized by the Baliff...and their website says its been suspended until further notice. Well first of all One of Malaspina's issues was they bought expensive sprinters..A used vehicle would have worked fine and one bus for charters(if the demand is their). Lots of cost saving measures they could have done. Reduce service to like 5 days a week,even 3 days a week would have been fine...Only going to Vancouver Pacific Central Station instead of the Airport(u don't need to go their now with sky train). Or even just a 24 pass mini coach with a quarter for freight...2 of them would have been much better.

Well first of all One of Malaspina's issues was they bought expensive sprinters..A used vehicle would have worked fine and one bus for charters. Lots of cost saving measures they could have done. Reduce service to like 5 days a week,even 3 days a week would have been fine...Only going to Vancouver Pacific Central Station instead of the Airport(u don't need to go their now with sky train). Or even just a 24 pass mini coach with a quarter for freight...2 of them would have been much better.

What are you talking about? Sprinters are one the most cost effective small vehicles out there. They are built like tanks, pretty reliable, and get great gas mileage. They are also a dream to drive, and very good for the passengers. Used mini-coaches are a bad deal all around. After about 125,000 miles, any cutaway type vehicle is basically life expired. They will eat you out of house and home on maintenance past that point. That is why their resale value is so low, there is no market, because no one wants them. I thought the Sprinters were a great purchase for them.

Reducing service to 3x a week or 5x a week just sounds like a death spiral. When you're in scheduled service, either you can operate it enough that it is a useful service, or you just need to give up. Been there, done that.

What are you talking about? Sprinters are one the most cost effective small vehicles out there. They are built like tanks, pretty reliable, and get great gas mileage. They are also a dream to drive, and very good for the passengers. Used mini-coaches are a bad deal all around. After about 125,000 miles, any cutaway type vehicle is basically life expired. They will eat you out of house and home on maintenance past that point. That is why their resale value is so low, there is no market, because no one wants them. I thought the Sprinters were a great purchase for them.

Reducing service to 3x a week or 5x a week just sounds like a death spiral. When you're in scheduled service, either you can operate it enough that it is a useful service, or you just need to give up. Been there, done that.

Well obviously something went wrong somewhere...Sprinters are not the best priced vehicle to buy especially on an operation that apparently is having financial issues. You do what u have to to survive..if it means making radical changes thats what u do.. And look at what other operators are doing...if ur not making money running daily u have to reduce service. Im sure Malaspina is not filling their sprinters...and plus they dont even carry their own freight anymmore ABC Express is carrying all freight for them to the sunshine coast...welll not sure about now though.

• 2 weeks later...

I would assume Malaspina has leased these Mini Coaches from Wilson's either short or long term...I would assume they have 2 the way their schedule is structured...which by the way changes with The BC Ferry seasonal changes on Sunshine Coast. I Would think it would be more economical to run the Schedule out of Powell River in the morning and back in the evening avoiding Hotel costs with drivers living in Powell River.

The sprinters were leased, so elite won't have them they'll just go back to the lessor.

When I worked there they had exhausted the supply of drivers from Powell River, all of us were based in the lower mainland. We had an apartment in PR for overnighting. Freight was really the only thing making any money, except that Greyhound wasn't paying properly for oversize or over weight packages, and it was taking far too long to get paid period. The owner finally had enough and cut out the contract. Running to the airport was very popular as people from PR tend to travel with large amounts of luggage making a trip via transit very difficult. The problem was the pick up fees at YVR. The sprinters were excellent for the run 90% of the time with only a very few overloads. The economy in PR isn't great, and Pacific Coastal flights were only a few dollars more than our prices, and 20 minute flight versus several hours is a bit of a no-brainer really. The biggest problem with the sprinters was that they didn't have the higher end seating, and no personal lighting for reading. People didn't like them because of that. With the loss of freight revenue, the cost of depots on the coast, and low ridership we had no idea how we continued operating. As for cutting services, first you have to get an approval from PT, which is next to impossible as we were at "minimum required service" for the license. Once a day is required by the license. I think the killer with the sprinters was the lease rate to be honest. Yes cutaways would have worked for a while, but that run is actually very tough on equipment so it would have been a maintenance nightmare. Interestingly, as the country edges closer to recession, the few dollars difference, might become an issue, and ridership might actually improve. I wish them only well as I enjoyed working there, I just wasn't making enough money.