2006-2007 Edmonton and area spottings

M. Parsons

I don't know what ETS was smoking when they came up with the small fleet number scheme (ie. 365) with "Vehicle Number" under the number.

My theory (wildly speculative of course) is that ETS ordered the small fleet number decals for the ELF fleet initially, and then either some bonehead also ordered a full set of small ones for the rest of the fleet, or else there was an unexpected delay in the shipment of the big decals. Because ETS was eager to roll out some repainted 40-foot buses to show off their new livery to the Edmonton public, they couldn't wait for the correctly sized decals to arrive and proceeded to apply the small decals to the earliest repainted 40-footers.

Maybe I'm on drugs too for coming up with that scenario :P

That might have been the reason. The only question would be why some still have those fleet numbers almost 9 or 10 years after they got them :P .

I ended up at Westwood this afternoon and saw just about every Westwood GM pull out from there. :P

333 was also on driver training today.

My theory (wildly speculative of course) is that ETS ordered the small fleet number decals for the ELF fleet initially, and then either some bonehead also ordered a full set of small ones for the rest of the fleet, or else there was an unexpected delay in the shipment of the big decals. Because ETS was eager to roll out some repainted 40-foot buses to show off their new livery to the Edmonton public, they couldn't wait for the correctly sized decals to arrive and proceeded to apply the small decals to the earliest repainted 40-footers.

Maybe I'm on drugs too for coming up with that scenario :P

Intersting idea.

Here's one to answer then: Why did some of the 1976 GM's have small numbering as well, at least on the rear?

Not sure which ones exactly, but it seems some 63X and 64X's made it until recent times with small numbers on the rear.

Incidentally, the 1976's were the first buses in the white paint scheme and had small numbers... and then when the first buses in the blue scheme were rolled out they as well had small numbers. And ETS tradition? Small numbers originally when bringing in a new paint scheme? :P

ets637.jpg

612 also had those small numbers too. Maybe they all had them on the rear at one point. It would make sense because I have never seen a 600 that still has painted on numbers on the side with painted numbers on the rear. (ie. 666, 695)

I also forgot to mention that I saw 542, 559, 560, 572, and 597 today.

Welcome back <_<

Thanks.

Miscellany from Friday morning, since being jet-lagged meant I got up early:

-4902 has about the most uncomfortable ride imaginable, especially in the back section. The artic joint also sounded like someone screaming every time we turned a corner.

-193 on the 708 trip from Southgate on the Route 9. 72 total boardings and a full seated load most of the way from Southgate to NAIT (which is roughly 3 times ETS' boarding standard of 30 passengers/hour).

-177 was being towed out of the Coliseum at about 8 in the morning.

-Bus 666 was on an extra Route 6.

-Bus 4109 was on a Route 109.

-Saw lots of Balios signs showing the stacked "Super=/Express" display on the 47 and 100.

An Update on LRV 1034. I was on it this afternoon on my way back from working at strathcona car barn and it was the northbound car. I noticed when it went over a breaker and the lights went out, the undercar heater thingys shut then 2-3 seconds later opened again... so there is more than just the lights.

i would have thought a fluke but this happened 3 or 4 times from university to coliseum

• Board Admin

An Update on LRV 1034. I was on it this afternoon on my way back from working at strathcona car barn and it was the northbound car. I noticed when it went over a breaker and the lights went out, the undercar heater thingys shut then 2-3 seconds later opened again... so there is more than just the lights.

i would have thought a fluke but this happened 3 or 4 times from university to coliseum

Well, if there's not enough power for the lights, there's probably not enough power for the heaters. <_<

Saturday saw trolleys on the Route 5 and D40LF's on the Route 3. Apparently *they* were installing some cable on 102 Avenue near 100 Street. Today (Sunday) there are trolleys on the Route 3 and D40LF's on the Route 5. Not sure what's up with that (yet).

Frost on the wires this morning saw at least two of the Route 3's (the ones that stay out late) C/O to D40LF's. <_< AFAIK, Dennis who had Unit # 128 this morning seemed to have carbons on and they were worn down by the first trip. He called it in at about 0730. He was getting a C/O at Mitchell at 0739.

I really wish they'd check if there is frost and put steels out first trip. Especially THE FIRST trip. The trailblazer always is the 'frostcutter' and should have steels on.

Interesting... anything viewable from platform level? I'll find out tomorrow I guess. :blink:

I hope they don't wrap the "sitting blocks" again, because they look horrid after a few weeks.

I haven't been to platform yet...I will take a quick boo at it during lunch (at 1300). I'll let you know...

Platform was still EnMax this morning at 0725.

Mezzanine level backlit ads already had been transformed into Disneyland Ads.

Guys were up on ladders a while ago adding visine (the red is gone...hahaha).

OK, just came back from The Platform Level. All has been lovingly transformed into Disney-theme. It's really very fairy-tale-ish. I think the ads are more appealing to women and kids. Lots of pastel shades and soft tones. Nicely done though. And yes, the seating area is covered and there is a banner hanging over the stairwell/escalator area. :blink:

• Board Admin

Nice. Looks like Pattison has found a new moneymaker. Thanks for checking!

At least now there will be something different to look at every few months when riding the train everyday. :blink:

Saw SCT 923 laying over by the Milner Second Cup - those 2 high circular red brake lights seem to be useless except for when you have the 4-way flashers on. They don't blink with the turn signals, nor do they activate when the brakes are applied.