Ice Cream and Milk Trucks

A. Wong

• Board Admin
Jackpot!!!!!

Found a whole fleet of Postal vehicles out on 80 avenue and 105 street, in Old Strathcona

man, o man, o man :P

awstott and I were discussing other locations too...

The old Co-Op store on 82 Street and 127 Avenue has a bunch. There's also a yard just east of Chinatown, I think on 96 Street and 105 Avenue or somewhere around there.

The old Co-Op store on 82 Street and 127 Avenue has a bunch. There's also a yard just east of Chinatown, I think on 96 Street and 105 Avenue or somewhere around there.

That, I believe, is the same yard that has the ex EPS bomb unit rig.

There's a postal facility along 28 Ave in a strip mall where you can often find postal vehicles.

ROFLMAO... Afer the historic tour on saturday we were talking about this thread with Bill. He mentioned that someone should start shooting the UPS fleet as their old classic trucks are getting retired. Thye don't sell them either... they grind them up apparently.

ROFLMAO... Afer the historic tour on saturday we were talking about this thread with Bill. He mentioned that someone should start shooting the UPS fleet as their old classic trucks are getting retired. Thye don't sell them either... they grind them up apparently.

Well then, A. Wong, should we start a seperate postal thread or keep it all in here?

On another somewhat related topic (crazy photos of stuff we've never taken photos of before)...

What colour were payphones under Ed Tel?

I shot this orange thing (obviously, the brown paint had peeled off) at Jasper Ave and 105 St. I don't think it's from

ED Tel's time though.

Can we include horse-drawn milk wagons in this topic? Edmonton last had horse drawn milk delivery on May 11, 1961. Our delivery man had to learn the route after that. Before then, the horse knew which houses to stop at.

I love Doug's stories about kids using horse manure for hockey pucks.

I don't know if I ever took photos of the milk bottle that was a water tower on a dairy at one point, but Doug would point it out on the tours as well. It was sitting around Northlands at one point.

DSC05639.jpg

I don't know if I ever took photos of the milk bottle that was a water tower on a dairy at one point, but Doug would point it out on the tours as well. It was sitting around Northlands at one point.
Well, the Guaranteed Milk water tower is still standing right next to Windsor Station…

It's still at Northlands, I saw it on the Highlands Historic Tour. I pointed at it but didn't say anything (**so as not to interrupt the fine commentary going on), perhaps some people saw it from the bus. It was at the south end of the Northlands property along with another large artifact, possibly the Klondike Mike statue.

That same bottle with ECD (Edmonton City Dairy ?) on it once stood atop Silverwoods Dairy on 109 Street and 102 Avenue SE corner - kitty cross from a (once) very prominent A + W Drive Inn.

**I remember being on one Historic Tour and the person sitting next to me did nothing but give his own commentary the whole time Doug and Kevin were speaking. I almost told this person "If you can do better, you get up and do the speaking". However I just remained pleasant and tried to ignore my seatmate.

It's still at Northlands, I saw it on the Highlands Historic Tour. I pointed at it but didn't say anything (**so as not to interrupt the fine commentary going on), perhaps some people saw it from the bus. It was at the south end of the Northlands property along with another large artifact, possibly the Klondike Mike statue.

The bottle with ECD (Edmonton City Dairy ?) on it once stood atop Silverwoods Dairy on 109 Street and 102 Avenue SE corner - kitty cross from a (once) very prominent A + W Drive Inn.

Those are the same bottles... the ECD/ Silverwoods Dairy bottle is the one at Northlands.

What became of Silverwoods? What brand did they produce? I noticed some Silverwoods milk crates today, but didn't think much of them.

I did find a Palm Dairy milk crate though! :D

It was the only Palm Dairy crate I noticed. I slugged 100+ crates and milk plus siome empties and saw probably another 50-75 crates and didn't see any other Palm's. I have seen Palm Dairy crates in the past too, but didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them, other than thinking "I remember that name and logo". I have noticed though how many different names you'll see on milk crates, despite that virtually every milk crates warns the use by anyone other than the owner is illegal! You can see in one photo all of the other pallets of milk we have... and each of those is stacked 6 high with 3 rows long and wide per pallent, so 54 crates per pallet.

From Friday- an ice cream truck!

DSC06343.jpg

DSC06361.jpg

DSC06348.jpg

DSC06175.jpg

Ex Astro? Milk truck lurking just off of Jasper Ave around 92 St or so.

In other news, tracked down a copy of the book Daries of Edmonton 1905-1955 as well as a first edition of Edmonton a History, published in 1967.

For the record, I would have bought this book regarless of this topic... mind you, this topic has dredged up childhood memories!

From Friday- an ice cream truck!
That would be in violation of a pretty important vehicle law in Ontario if that was brought over here.

(You can't have red lights on a vehicle shinning towards the front of the vehicle)

But lucky for him, that isn't Ontario, so it doesn't matter.