Power trip on the transitway

Cre47

I was once critisized because I wrote my numbers on with a Sharpie marker. He thought the numbers might get washed off. All I know is that I never had any troubles with the driver's not seeing the numbers! :)
I once had a driver compliment us (ISMichael, HurdmanHugz and I) for writing in our numbers in a way that made it easy for the driver to read them.

I can see why he got the fine, sure he wrote in his numbers later, but he was caught ON the bus WITHOUT valid proof of payment. It might of been valid once he was off the bus but it wasn't valid while he was on the bus. So he got a free ride until he wrote in those numbers.

According to the story, one of the inspectors wrote the ID card number in, then ticketed Mr. Cook. The Public Citizen (Hugh Adami) picked up that story later. According to their report, in response to Mr. Cook's comment about the "day of grace" the first working day of each month, one of the inspectors said something like: "You had all month to fill in the numbers."

EDIT: The bit about the day of grace was actually from Chief Special Constable Kimberley Weston-Martin.

OC is going to have problems proving their case.

Student offered aid in Transpo row

Lawyer cites 'outrage' at trespassing conviction

By Hugh Adami, The Ottawa CitizenMay 6, 2009

An Algonquin College student convicted of trespassing on transitway property following a run-in with an OC Transpo special constable last fall is getting free legal help from a respected Ottawa lawyer.

Bruce Simpson, who has practised law in Ottawa since 1976 and is now president of the John Howard Society of Ontario, was "outraged" to read in The Public Citizen how Nicole Thompson-Walker had been arrested, handcuffed and charged with trespassing even though, he says, she did nothing wrong. He wrote Thompson-Walker to offer free legal representation after reading the April 19 story.

"She did not commit any offence at all," Simpson said. "This was a false arrest."

Added Simpson: "What's worse is this attitude. ... You would think (OC Transpo) was doing us a favour by operating a public-transit system that nobody ever paid taxes for or fares. These people are supposed to be our employees, but they seem to delight in treating people like dirt. It's just outrageous the way they treated her."

He believes such treatment undermines public compliance of Transpo's rules.

Simpson says the matter was handled badly from the start, when OC Transpo Special Const. Chris Villeneuve came across Thompson-Walker, 21, and two classmates snapping photos of the transitway. The situation disintegrated from there, he says.

"He had zero right to arrest her," Simpson says. "Even if you are flagrantly trespassing, (but) you leave the property, (Transpo) no longer has any authority (for a charge)."

In fact, there wasn't any proof that trespassing had occurred under Ontario's Trespass to Property Act. Though the three crossed the transitway from National Capital Commission land on one side to NCC land on the other, Villeneuve arrived later, when they were taking photos of the buses-only road. They were off the road, though Villeneuve said that, in their first confrontation, they were shooting from the road shoulder. An argument ensued, mostly over their right to take photos of the transitway. Villeneuve told the three that photography wasn't allowed for security reasons, which Simpson says is laughable. A city bylaw prohibits photos from being taken, but there's an exemption for shots taken for "personal" use. The three were taking pictures for a school project.

Villeneuve left after the three said they were going to take photos in a wooded area, further away from the transitway. He came across them again as they were returning, but they were still on NCC land, well away from the transitway. There was another argument, which subsequently led to Thompson-Walker's arrest for not answering questions about her identity as required under the trespassing act. However, Villeneuve didn't require her identity because trespassing hadn't occurred, Simpson says.

Classmates Lucas Timmons, 25, and Phil Dukarsky, 22, were also charged. They appeared in court in January, pleaded not guilty, and the charges were withdrawn. Thompson-Walker says she was waiting to get a court date when she was convicted in absentia on Dec. 21. She learned of her conviction in March after receiving a bill for a $90 fine.

Simpson says he is seeking to have the conviction overturned and hopes it can be done without a court hearing. He says it will be up to Thompson-Walker to decide if she wants to pursue the matter beyond that, but, he adds, he believes she has a strong case for a civil suit.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Student+offer...7576/story.html

Special Constables may have full police powers, but that doesn't mean they have the authority to abuse it.

A special constables approached us while we were taking pictures on NCC property, and she said: "By personal photography, it means only if your taking pictures of your friends on OC Transpo property. Not our buses."

Fricking BS.

As usual they took one of our ID, home address, phone number, and when they were asked why they would need that info, they replied saying just in case someone leaves a complaint to OC Transpo about photographers taking pictures of the buses on the transitway.

ISMichael

A special constables approached us while we were taking pictures on NCC property, and she said: "By personal photography, it means only if your taking pictures of your friends on OC Transpo property. Not our buses."

HAHAHA... These OC constables are becoming a bunch of jokes! They don't even know their own laws!!!! The law is photography of buses for personal use is permitted!

HAHAHA... These OC constables are becoming a bunch of jokes! They don't even know their own laws!!!! The law is photography of buses for personal use is permitted!

They said it was not, and that we needed to contact Media Affairs and get permits to photograph buses. They obviously don't support our hobby.

ISMichael. :)

Should I still look forward to moving to Ottawa this September?

Also, since Albert and Slater streets are technically part of the Transitway, would taking pictures from the sidewalk of either streets be considered breaching the photography by-laws?

If you're my age and we ever start meeting regularly, no :(

Edit: Albert and Slater are public property, so if someone yells at you for taking a picture, tell them to shove it up their ass. Works for me.

Also, since Albert and Slater streets are technically part of the Transitway, would taking pictures from the sidewalk of either streets be considered breaching the photography by-laws?
Albert and Slater at the bus stations is still considered Transit Property, but even on Transit Property they can't tell you to "get lost" as they so told me on NCC property once when I was with Double T.

Btw, i'm posting for M.Wright if your wondering.

Albert and Slater at the bus stations is still considered Transit Property, but even on Transit Property they can't tell you to "get lost" as they so told me on NCC property once when I was with Double T.

Btw it's M.Wright if your wondering.

Didn't a OC Transpo Special Cuntstable call you guys terrorists while photographing on NCC property of buses?

ISMichael. :(