MÉTRO

SMS

I forget the fleet number, but their is an element that has the MR-63 style announcements.

Their is also MR-73 element 046, and 110 that have STCUM announcements with Judith Ouimet's voice (current STM programming has Michel Deslauriers voice).

Judith Ouimet:

As promised, the video:

It sounds like the Arriving Announcement is a mixture of Judith Ouimet (MR-73 style) and Michele Deslauriers (MR-63 style) overlapping.

And the Outgoing Announcement is Michele Deslauriers (MR-63 style)

Definitely rare as I rode many MR-73s in Montreal and this was the only car I rode that featured this.

----------

Also at Berri Uqam Station,

Are the red and grey boards along the wall temporary finishes for the station? Or are those the final finishes for Berri Uqam's walls? They're quite poor quality and a cheap replacement for the tiles that were there prior since the 1960s.

As promised, the video:

It sounds like the Arriving Announcement is a mixture of Judith Ouimet (MR-73 style) and Michele Deslauriers (MR-63 style) overlapping.

And the Outgoing Announcement is Michele Deslauriers (MR-63 style)

Definitely rare as I rode many MR-73s in Montreal and this was the only car I rode that featured this.

----------

Also at Berri Uqam Station,

Are the red and grey boards along the wall temporary finishes for the station? Or are those the final finishes for Berri Uqam's walls? They're quite poor quality and a cheap replacement for the tiles that were there prior since the 1960s.

Thanks for the video, pretty interesting.

Berri-UQAM's walls are temporary. If u see renderings they're the circles but in movement collectif colors, the signs at berri show it also, not sure when itl be done, though.

I remember getting the .PDF from the STM's Facebook account, someone posted it in response to the STM telling us about the construction taking place. I didn't save it.

@York Transit

The element that has both variants of the Michel Deslauriers voices is 082 :)

Sorry for the delay, but I had to find it for myself and get the fleet number, very interesting!

Odd modification to MR-73 motors.

I have noticed that several MR-73 motors were modified with the addition of a strange access panel on the bulkhead between the cab and the passenger compartment:

j6299_QC-STM_20110523-100920_rameMetro_porte.jpg

Given how slickly it is made, I am betting this is something that will be generalized…

Odd modification to MR-73 motors.

I have noticed that several MR-73 motors were modified with the addition of a strange access panel on the bulkhead between the cab and the passenger compartment:

j6299_QC-STM_20110523-100920_rameMetro_porte.jpg

Given how slickly it is made, I am betting this is something that will be generalized…

I've seen these around the network the past 2 years.

Some are different than the rest also.

On another motor car it has hinges as if it opens up like a door. I'm really curious.

@York Transit

The element that has both variants of the Michel Deslauriers voices is 082 :D

Sorry for the delay, but I had to find it for myself and get the fleet number, very interesting!

Update!

Element 086 has the same characteristics as 082 in terms of announcements.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone taken the metro recently (i.e. last week or yesterday)? On the orange line traveling north, the train slows down to approaching-terminus speed entering Rosemont, and exits the station at the same speed and does not pick up speed until about 10sec before getting to Beaubien. This does not happen in the opposite direction. It's gotten me scratching my head :huh:

I have not taken the metro in a while and I can't confirm for this situation but normally this is done when station work is taking place, espectially if there is scaffolding over the tracks. The trains are slowed down for workers safety because of the piston effect when trains enter and leave stations. The track circuits are reprogramed so that the train rolls at 15mph from when the front enters the station to whent the tail leaves the station.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Jeumont train (element 42) is rolling around this week with a bunch of dead motor cars. Both Jeumont motor cars are often dead, but another cam-controlled car has given up its ghost as well.

That makes 3 dead motor cars and 3 cam-controlled cars left to haul the entire train. It makes for an interesting ride during rush-hour, slogging station after station, trying to climb those hills with a sardine-load of people between Atwater and Lionel-Groulx or Berri-Uqam and Beaudry. Every train following it are bunched up behind.

Find, ride and laugh.

• 2 weeks later...

This past weekend, there seems to have been POP blitzes at Berri-UQAM station. I had my proof of payment checked in the tunnel directly above Line 4 direction Longueuil on Saturday, and leaving line 4 by the Honoré-Beaugrand escalator exit, three POP cops were waiting up there. Fortunately one recognized me being in uniform and did not delay me.

This past weekend, there seems to have been POP blitzes at Berri-UQAM station. I had my proof of payment checked in the tunnel directly above Line 4 direction Longueuil on Saturday, and leaving line 4 by the Honoré-Beaugrand escalator exit, three POP cops were waiting up there. Fortunately one recognized me being in uniform and did not delay me.

I've seen four agents at Ile Saint-Helene station on a weekday before noon. Hardly anybody goes there, I wonder how many people they caught.

After first announcing a plan to move all their garbage cans off the platforms (see this newsletter and this info page), they seem to have reversed that decision. With seemingly no explanation, there are now some shiny new garbage bins right next to the tracks at many stations, including these at Lionel-Groulx:

DSCN2005.JPG

Cause they realized that it's dumb. People eat stuff on the platform while waiting or on the trains. People generate trash on the platforms. Nobody's going to climb the steps to go throw stuff out. They'll just litter instead.

There was a survey on the STM site asking people's opinions. I let 'em have it... Also made a complaint for every time I had to throw something out while on the platform, so I made like 20. I'm sure I'm not the only one. I really don't understand why taking garbages OFF the platform will make it cleaner.

On a more positive note, I think the new garbages look really nice... on the platform :(.

At some stations the trash receptacles are integrated into the architecture (for example the seating at Cote-Vertu, Du College, and Snowdon)

It is clear that by reducing the number of garbage cans, you reduce the amount of work for the janitors. However, cleanliness of stations implies that passengers act like good citizens and throw out their trash. APTA might have deemed the STM to be the best transit authority on the continent but their passengers are not the best of anything (by this I mean those that choose to litter, vandalize, and evade the fare).

If the STM cares about station cleanliness, the cans need to stay.

At some stations the trash receptacles are integrated into the architecture (for example the seating at Cote-Vertu, Du College, and Snowdon)

It is clear that by reducing the number of garbage cans, you reduce the amount of work for the janitors. However, cleanliness of stations implies that passengers act like good citizens and throw out their trash. APTA might have deemed the STM to be the best transit authority on the continent but their passengers are not the best of anything (by this I mean those that choose to litter, vandalize, and evade the fare).

If the STM cares about station cleanliness, the cans need to stay.

I have to agree since the cans at Verdun station have been moved far up the escalators and me and my best friend are indeed guilty of littering on the platform instead of going outside the tourniquets, all the way up to the surface entrance just to throw out a sandwich wrapper...

I am glad that the STM finally joined other world class metro systems and installed door chimes on MR-73 cars! I heard it for the first time other than the pilot train today on the orange line. The STM in an ad wrote that over 600 000 people were delayed last year due to people holding the door... This is criminal! At least this is a step in the right direction. Good job