St. Catharines Transit

lap_screw

That really is a shame... I remember my first ever bus ride was on 8848 back when I was like 2 or 3 years old. I remember I took it on the 17 Bunting-Linwell to a doctors appointment downtown. I loved riding on them too, they were the best of the SCT fleet ( I don't remember the fishbowls so I can't say much about them). I'm thinking if you want to get a shot of them again, they may possibly be in Dain City (Welland) where they have the old fishbowls, and ex-SCT 8847. You can see 8847 from the road, and it looks pretty full in there so this recent retirement line may very well be somewhere else. I have a picture of 8844 from right before it was put into service, and it looked brand-spanking new.

I don't think many operators are going to be happy about the racks. Unless the riders but the bikes on themselves...

Bill

• 2 weeks later...
Nice pictures!

I've seen every St. Catharines transit bus since the year 1973 except one which is 7821. Does anyone know anything about this bus? It did not appear that it was in revenue service for a normal lifespan which is typically 18 years.

Glen

Finally found my old St.Catharines rosters.

7821 is listed in 1998, but gone in 1999.

no 7511 wasn't on that 1990 roster.. must have been retired before then

Its not on the 1988 roster either, so was gone by then.

no even random late brock runs are dangerous haha last year i heard of to incidents of someone smashing the rear door mirror and another time at the terminal someone throwing an alcohol bottle at the front of the bus (both buses were inveros)

Maybe they just don't like the Inveros....

I don't think many operators are going to be happy about the racks. Unless the riders but the bikes on themselves...

Why would the operators have to load the bikes? Here in Halifax, riders have to do it themselves: it doesn't make any sense for the driver to have to get out of the bus, load it, and get back in...

The only thing I can think of is maybe b/c of safety???

Or maybe just the fact they will probably have to be getting out and showing users how to do it at the beginning.....?????

It sure is going to be chaos though!!! what a dumb idea!!!

Not safety, liability! If something goes wrong with the owners bike and do damages, passengers will complain to the driver and possible lawsuit.

Driver can assist to passengers, but that's about it.

Wait till summer, that's where bikers will be using the rack.

Hi all,

Today (October 3RD 2009) I noticed that there is a typo on 0805. I saw it at the terminal today, and noticed that the "S" has been forgotten in the text, ST. CATHARINES. So now it reads ST. CATHARINE. Is this an actual typo, or did the "S" wear off or something? Where the "S" should be, there is no sign that anything was there before. Just shiny white, like the rest of it.

No big deal obviously, I'm just curious. It was on the 104 Oakdale-Pen Centre at around 2:00pm if that helps at all

Bill

Hi all,

Today (October 3RD 2009) I noticed that there is a typo on 0805. I saw it at the terminal today, and noticed that the "S" has been forgotten in the text, ST. CATHARINES. So now it reads ST. CATHARINE. Is this an actual typo, or did the "S" wear off or something? Where the "S" should be, there is no sign that anything was there before. Just shiny white, like the rest of it.

No big deal obviously, I'm just curious. It was on the 104 Oakdale-Pen Centre at around 2:00pm if that helps at all

Bill

No, I belive Flyer made a mistake by forgetting to put the "S" on it!

Or maybe just the fact they will probably have to be getting out and showing users how to do it at the beginning.....?????

Get with the program people....the biggest problem with the bike racks is the dumb asses that forget their bikes on the racks....seriously.

The racks are in use world wide in one form or another, city buses to highway coaches.

Any "issues" that you can come up with have already been beaten to death 100 times over.

Welcome to the new world..... :)

Bike racks make life so much easier for cyclists, and the only negative effect on other passengers is the slight delay in loading and unloading the bike from the rack. If they're using the Sportsworks racks that a lot of agencies use, people won't have trouble using them, because the instructions are clearly printed on the rack. The very first time I loaded my bike on one, it took me less than 10 seconds. I really can't see why anyone would have anything against them! :)

Bike racks make life so much easier for cyclists, and the only negative effect on other passengers is the slight delay in loading and unloading the bike from the rack. If they're using the Sportsworks racks that a lot of agencies use, people won't have trouble using them, because the instructions are clearly printed on the rack. The very first time I loaded my bike on one, it took me less than 10 seconds. I really can't see why anyone would have anything against them! :P

Cause they don't want to acknowledge that the world is a changing place.

Look around, bike racks are becoming the norm not the exception.

We want more people on the buses, (It's called "JOB SECURITY").

Bike racks will help increase ridership.

Quite frankly, I'm a little more than surprised that you don't have them already.

Trust me, once you have had them for a while, you'll wonder what the problem was.

Just noticed that you sign "Transitisgreener"?

Bike racks are part in parcel with reducing single use automobile use.

They are proven to put more people on the bus.

"It sure is going to be chaos though!!! what a dumb idea!!!"

Then you submit the above statement?????? WTH........ :)

Cause they don't want to acknowledge that the world is a changing place.

Look around, bike racks are becoming the norm not the exception.

We want more people on the buses, (It's called "JOB SECURITY").

Bike racks will help increase ridership.

Quite frankly, I'm a little more than surprised that you don't have them already.

Trust me, once you have had them for a while, you'll wonder what the problem was.

They can't adapt it because it's their town, they know people will be clueless how to use it but that's the beginning of it! Even Oakville went order bike racks, I do see people seldomly use it but effective to use it as bikes are allow during rush hour.

As long the transit gives instruction clearly to passengers, then drivers aren't responsible for it.

Like I said, wait till summer comes, there will be riders taking the GO train as there are tons of bikers.

I just think if you knew our transit system a bit better you could see the potential 'chaos' in terms of delays......

All our routes are already on such tight schedules, I take the bus almost daily and have to beg for the operator to call to hold my 116 or wait an extra half hour cause I will miss it by seconds.....

bike racks added=disruption in service.

I just dont think its a great idea for ST. CATHARINES transit!

Other places yes! But for the way we are set up, nope!

Again just my opinion, don't want to start nothign here ;)