Attention Compact Flash Users!

SMS

My answer: eBay Canada stores - but maybe you have a better suggestion... I've tried looking at the big box stores here and in the USA and it doesn't look good.

Also, what format is preferable? I have 2X 2GB... I'm thinking of getting at least 1 4GB, probably 1 8GB - there seems to be good value with regards to 8GB - 65 US Dollars plus 10 dollars shipping from British Columbia.

My answer: eBay Canada stores - but maybe you have a better suggestion... I've tried looking at the big box stores here and in the USA and it doesn't look good.

Also, what format is preferable? I have 2X 2GB... I'm thinking of getting at least 1 4GB, probably 1 8GB - there seems to be good value with regards to 8GB - 65 US Dollars plus 10 dollars shipping from British Columbia.

You can try Canada Computers, their 4GB CF start from $22.49 and the 8GB start from $38.49. Shipping is $6.99 across Canada

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?d...&id=990.437

• Board Admin

http://www.ncix.com/search/?categoryid=0&q=compactflash

Transcend CompactFlash 8GB 133X Type I CF Memory Card (TS8GCF133) (28290)

Special Order, Usually 1-2 weeks. $49.40

Not sure how "speedy" those A-Data cards are - but if you don't mind waiting a tiny bit longer I'm sure they work fine.

If you are good about getting your pictures off your cards often, then either format works. Just that if your card corrupts, more pictures might get owned on a larger card.

Thanks Allen and Ashton! I'm a pretty loyal Sandisk user. Perhaps I will stick to this brand. eBay stores does not seem to be the way to go with regards to this because of counterfeiting (http://reviews.ebay.ie/FAKE-SanDisk-Extreme-Compact-Flash-Cards-Exposed_W0QQugidZ10000000001456526). Both of my 2GBs have served me well. I have an Ultra II from Minnesota and an Extreme III from Michigan. Really, I can't tell the difference in terms of speed because both serve me well. I don't see the need to buy Ducati-Sandisk cards with the recovery software but I do find it interesting how Sandisk markets some of their Extreme III/IVs as working between -25C to +85C and is shock and vibration tested.

The thing is, for the impending trip to Alberta, obviously 4GB won't suffice... but as you have astutely noted, I don't want to get screwed over with losing all good pics on an 8GB card. I guess it is better to stick with more 2GB or 4GB if it's good value!

I have no plans to use a card over 2 GB's for that reason- you can lose sooooo much!

Even with the high res DSLR's you can still get a decent number of photos on even a 1 GB card.

Carrying them around could be inconvient to some, however, I have taken 100+ rolls of film with me on some of my trips!

The thing is, for the impending trip to Alberta, obviously 4GB won't suffice... but as you have astutely noted, I don't want to get screwed over with losing all good pics on an 8GB card. I guess it is better to stick with more 2GB or 4GB if it's good value!

I have 4GB and 2 2GB SD card, I should be fine with my trip.

As already posted, it's not a good idea to go over 2GB for a single CF. If the card fails on an 8GB CF, you're gonna lose a LOT of pictures. My 2GB gives me about 200 shots in RAW on my 350D, which is more than enough for me. I've never even shot more than 100 shots on it, so I don't think I'll ever be purchasing extra space (I only plan to replace this card with a better Sandisk high speed CF).

I personally wouldn't cheap out on it either but I suppose thats personal preference again. For anything to do with photography I will buy reputable brand name stuff, I never cheap out on anything.

A 2GB card on my 350D set on Large Fine gets me 520 shots.

I did in the end buy three Futureshop's "Rocketfish" 2GB cards for $22.47 each. Had to pay shipping - something like six bucks.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetai...amp;catid=11431

I'm going to use my Sandisk's as primaries and Rocketfishes as emergency backup.

Ashton I'll pass on your generous offer :angry: