STM Novabus HEV 28-70X Sightings

stm_5307N

Survival of the fittest!

SMS

YYZ

Read this: http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technolog...nt-killers.html

In any case, I am always amazed how some people have their headsets on playing music full-blast. Guaranteed they soon won't have any eardrums left!

I also used to wonder why fire trucks insist on blasting their horns in addition to using their sirens. Up until the early '80s, they would never do this.

The reason: people in their cars with their stereos so loud that they cannot hear anything going on outside, particularly approaching emergency vehicles.

And while I'm on the subject of noise, don't you just hate these idiots whose "rolling boom boxes" interrupt your train of thought--especially when they're playing the worst imaginable insulting and degrading "gangsta rap" that some segments of our society are supposedly "proud" to emulate in real life?

The baggier the pants and shirts, the goofier the hats, the more petulant their facial expressions, the more "cool" they apparently think they are. Is it any wonder that women, public space, and private property are a constant target of such "social pollution", noisy non-music, graffiti , not to mention out-and-out destruction, etc.? :P

Read this: http://www.newscientist.com/blog/technolog...nt-killers.html

In any case, I am always amazed how some people have their headsets on playing music full-blast. Guaranteed they soon won't have any eardrums left!

I also used to wonder why fire trucks insist on blasting their horns in addition to using their sirens. Up until the early '80s, they would never do this.

The reason: people in their cars with their stereos so loud that they cannot hear anything going on outside, particularly approaching emergency vehicles.

And while I'm on the subject of noise, don't you just hate these idiots whose "rolling boom boxes" interrupt your train of thought--especially when they're playing the worst imaginable insulting and degrading "gangsta rap" that some segments of our society are supposedly "proud" to emulate in real life?

The baggier the pants and shirts, the goofier the hats, the more petulant their facial expressions, the more "cool" they apparently think they are. Is it any wonder that women, public space, and private property are a constant target of such "social pollution", noisy non-music, graffiti , not to mention out-and-out destruction, etc.? :P

I hate it when some gangsta wannabe is playing his headphones like a stereo. Most people my age will turn up the volume, I am always turning it down. And you can't even dodge them anymore, before most of these kids would sit at the back of the bus, so at least you could escape to the safe haven of the front, (not to mention get a better view), but now the bloodies sit up front!

Worse yet, is they do think they are cool, and that everyone wants to listen to their music. In Quebec, there was none of this, people are more respectful, even we would have a transit law (likt RTC does) that stipulates you need to keep the volume of your music down so that only you can hear it, it would be impossible to enforce.

This topic has, of course, been discussed before in this forum and elsewhere.

I seem to remember laws and even signs on our busses informing passengers not to play loud music, nor to eat and drink, nor to spit on the floor, nor to talk to the driver, etc. Depending upon what city you are in, I rarely see such signs anymore. Why is this?

I do remember some idiot recently on route 58 blasting a boom box which was attached to his belt. The jerk sits in the back and couldn't care less about the passengers around him, made worse with the foul garbage, rap lyrics. Drivers should be authorized to tell these fools to turn it down or get off.

Imagine living in a building where such people live: sitting on their balconies blasting away! Would you like to be forced to hear that crap all day? :P

Imagine living in a building where such people live: sitting on their balconies blasting away! Would you like to be forced to hear that crap all day? :P

I used to live in a building where my upstairs neighbour was playing AC/DC full blast at 6:30 AM and I was working evenings, so I was in bed at 1AM and up at 9:30-10 AM. That really ticked me off and I went to ask him to turn down his music and I got a funky whiff coming from his apartment. He opened his door about one inch and his roomate asked if it was the cops... ;)

I used to live in a building where my upstairs neighbour was playing AC/DC full blast at 6:30 AM and I was working evenings, so I was in bed at 1AM and up at 9:30-10 AM. That really ticked me off and I went to ask him to turn down his music and I got a funky whiff coming from his apartment. He opened his door about one inch and his roomate asked if it was the cops... ;)

Ha! They should not have been surprised if it was the cops. What idiot blasts music at such an early hour and doesn't expect to be bothering neighbours with the potential complaints to the cops to investigate the disturbing of the peace.

Fools like that deserve to be busted, or, at the very least, evicted.

They either have a death wish, or their hearing has been so damaged that what is truly loud to the majority of us is, to them, a "reasonable" volume. A quick check to their ear doctor would doubtless reveal a serious deficiency.

Amazingly, there is always that segment of a concert audience which insists on standing right up against the PA speakers. You would have to be crazy to do that and not expect problems later.

I rode a 76(STO) today. I could hear three different rap songs (Or perhaps the same... It all sounds the same to me) blaring from peoples' headphones.

On the subject of survival of the fittest: Who says setting your ring tone to the green-light notifications is such a bad thing ;)

What's with the Neil Diamond ad? Does he or his record label now "sponsor" the CPTDB?

Do I assume that any member can post his or her favourite star, company, institution, or whatever?

If so, how about worthwhile causes such as the SPCA, Red Cross, Sun Youth, etc. :mellow:

What's with the Neil Diamond ad? Doe he or his record label now "sponsor" the CPTDB?

Do I assume that any member can post his or her favourite star, company, institution, or whatever?

If so, how about worthwhile causes such as the SPCA, Red Cross, Sun Youth, etc. :mellow:

Well, since we've gone off topic, the answer to your question is that the ads are usually directed towards the person that visits, rather than the site itself. It's called "Directed Marketing", this means that you probably listen to Neil Diamond...

this means that you probably listen to Neil Diamond...

:mellow: Not my taste, actually! Not that I dislike the guy or anything.

As a matter of fact, I just got off listening to John Fogerty, The Plimsouls, and Jan Hammer...but that would only scratch the surface of what I enjoy.

Anyway...we have indeed gotten off topic. ^_^

I don't think the 420 is as braindead an idea as shoving this bus on route 221. Have you guys ever been on the 420 anyway?

That being said, there are a bunch of other routes that I'd love to see hybrids on and are decidedly not part of Garage LaSalle:

15 Ste-Catherine

55 St-Laurent

97 Mont-Royal

to name but a few...

That being said, there are a bunch of other routes that I'd love to see hybrids on and are decidedly not part of Garage LaSalle:

15 Ste-Catherine

55 St-Laurent

97 Mont-Royal

to name but a few...

Those would definately be good ideas for routes that Hybrids would benefit the most. Particularly the 15, which would get a lot of exposure, and the average speed on the 15 during rush hour has got to be less than 5km/h! It's one of the few routes that I can leave the terminus at the same time as the bus arrive at my destination at well before it arrives, walking.

Those would definately be good ideas for routes that Hybrids would benefit the most. Particularly the 15, which would get a lot of exposure, and the average speed on the 15 during rush hour has got to be less than 5km/h! It's one of the few routes that I can leave the terminus at the same time as the bus arrive at my destination at well before it arrives, walking.

You bet....if you want a shot of a bus on that route, you got time to walk down the street ahead of the bus, and set up for the shot, and have to wait for it to get there!

Routes that could use Hybrids......121 hands down!

Putting it on the 211, that would be a really sick joke, something the dispatcher would play on April Fool's or the like.

I'm sure it will happen one day, if it hasn't already...

Since from what I've heard, the same driver keeps the bus for his/her shift, so it could possibly mean that a 211 or 221 run would have a HEV on it.

Hybrid on the 211.....just joking.

Here are today's fun filled sightings:

-28-705 on the 66, Guy at 2:11

-28-704 on the 24, in Westmount at 3:46

-29-705 on the 66 SB, at Victoria at 4:18

Both had parts of their wraps missing already. 705 had a whole rear window uncovered.