Burlington Transit

Hybrid0920

If 7018's dying along with the other 7 HF's, there'd be an additional HF that will stick around. I don't believe it'll be 7055.

Any word on 7063? Is it active in the garage?

It's listed as OFF-AWAY. It may be getting refurbed, I don't know.

7063-90 is back from refurb and is in service. 7055-87 has been parked out back for quite some time due to mechanical problems. I doubt it will be used for service again.

D40LF's 7047-10 and 7048-10 have been delivered and are awaiting service prep. So at this point I think it's safe to say the new buses will be numbered 7046-10 to 7053-10.

7063-90 is back from refurb and is in service. 7055-87 has been parked out back for quite some time due to mechanical problems. I doubt it will be used for service again.

D40LF's 7047-10 and 7048-10 have been delivered and are awaiting service prep. So at this point I think it's safe to say the new buses will be numbered 7046-10 to 7053-10.

Odd for the numbering scheme to be all over the place again. Mind you, that's Burlington for ya. At least they could've used 7026 and 7042. Oh well. Maybe that's for next year.

Maybe I might write off 7055 in that case as an inactive bus. 'Twas good while it lasted.

Actually, D40LF, the numbers would be from 7047-10 to 7053 and 7056-10, as only 7 buses would be counted between 47 and 53, meannig the eighth would be 56, assuming they jump over 54 and 55.

And nice to see that 7063 is back. Has it been repainted or does it still have the broken Orange/Blue livery?

Wonder if the engine/transmission was touched?

News update:

Burlington will only be retiring 3 units with the arrival of the 8 new flyers. The units will be 7054 and 7055, and either 7068 OR 7069. One of these units has structual damage to the frame, not sure which one it is as of yet. 7018 will be getting repaired but nothing has happened to it yet as Burlington and New flyer are battling as to who will be footing the bill. One of the key reasons as to why they decided to fix it is that 7018 had the lowest mileage out of the Inveros due to its accident a few years ago. It was T-boned and off the road for almost a year.

I am told that at this point there will be no new buses for 2011 and only 2 buses for 2012. The orions will be around for a few years anyway.

News update:

Burlington will only be retiring 3 units with the arrival of the 8 new flyers. The units will be 7054 and 7055, and either 7068 OR 7069. One of these units has structual damage to the frame, not sure which one it is as of yet. 7018 will be getting repaired but nothing has happened to it yet as Burlington and New flyer are battling as to who will be footing the bill. One of the key reasons as to why they decided to fix it is that 7018 had the lowest mileage out of the Inveros due to its accident a few years ago. It was T-boned and off the road for almost a year.

I am told that at this point there will be no new buses for 2011 and only 2 buses for 2012. The orions will be around for a few years anyway.

Expansion buses? Really?

I'l have a much better idea at what the Capital & and the 2011 budget is. My feeling is that something significant had changed. I am alsoin belief that if there's going to be 5 of these 2010's to be expansions, there must be a ton of improvements which will be coming in 2011.

Here's a question to those who have driven the Blue Bird Ultra LF buses, either here in Burlington or the ones in Oakville or in Milton.

Now, one of the reasons, I was told by one of the drivers I commonly see was that it was due to that their suspensions are worn down so much that going down those residental streets along the 4/5. Are these buses, 902 if you have gotten word from maintanence at whether or not if they could survive another year? I remember asking the maintanence supervisor as early as mid-September that if any major work is done to any of them, their retirement would be moved up significantly from their previous retirement year of 2018. Would they last another year? If not, I'd adjust the purchase of buses and buy an additional 6 to replace them in case if anything significant happens. Just my 2 cents.

In sighting news...this is rare, but Orion V 7062-90 was on the 1 on one of the all-day runs that would last late into the evening, until about 12AM arriving at Appleby Go Station.

Expansion buses? Really?

I'l have a much better idea at what the Capital & and the 2011 budget is. My feeling is that something significant had changed. I am alsoin belief that if there's going to be 5 of these 2010's to be expansions, there must be a ton of improvements which will be coming in 2011.

Here's a question to those who have driven the Blue Bird Ultra LF buses, either here in Burlington or the ones in Oakville or in Milton.

Now, one of the reasons, I was told by one of the drivers I commonly see was that it was due to that their suspensions are worn down so much that going down those residental streets along the 4/5. Are these buses, 902 if you have gotten word from maintanence at whether or not if they could survive another year? I remember asking the maintanence supervisor as early as mid-September that if any major work is done to any of them, their retirement would be moved up significantly from their previous retirement year of 2018. Would they last another year? If not, I'd adjust the purchase of buses and buy an additional 6 to replace them in case if anything significant happens. Just my 2 cents.

In sighting news...this is rare, but Orion V 7062-90 was on the 1 on one of the all-day runs that would last late into the evening, until about 12AM arriving at Appleby Go Station.

haha suspension is worn down.. of course! driving a blue bird is like driving a boat through rocky water

Expansion buses? Really?

There are no expansion plans, Burlington wants to have some spare buses for a change.

Maintainence is hoping to get 5 more years out of the Blue Birds. And the reason for no buses next year is the funding for bus replacement was cut by the government. Burlington's not the only city affected by this.

I remember also talking with the supervisor and many within BT management that they are wanting and willing to expand the services in this city. Has and could there be the possibility of not only expanding the transit routes/services but...to do that with by means of purchasing used buses?

Spare buses is a good idea. However, if the intention, especially down the road is to expand and improve on its current services, would that just mean that those "spare" buses are actually there for expansion or, "just others that will be there to improve on the spare ratio?"

This might sound odd, but if the Blue Birds...no...WHEN the Blue Birds are unfit for service :), I'd wonder if BT would inquire MTB about the (when they're rebuilt) ex-HSR 1997 Novas? I know it's hoist-in-the-garage dependant...but, one could dream. ^_^

I remember also talking with the supervisor and many within BT management that they are wanting and willing to expand the services in this city. Has and could there be the possibility of not only expanding the transit routes/services but...to do that with by means of purchasing used buses?

Spare buses is a good idea. However, if the intention, especially down the road is to expand and improve on its current services, would that just mean that those "spare" buses are actually there for expansion or, "just others that will be there to improve on the spare ratio?"

This might sound odd, but if the Blue Birds...no...WHEN the Blue Birds are unfit for service :) , I'd wonder if BT would inquire MTB about the (when they're rebuilt) ex-HSR 1997 Novas? I know it's hoist-in-the-garage dependant...but, one could dream. ^_^

yeah, when pigs fly! LOL, no, I am quite certain that BT will not be trying to buy those lemons, they probally heard to much about how horrible they are to maintain, much less actually be willing to put out the money need to get them roadworthy.

If Burlington has any chance to expand, they need to wipe out their incompetent management team first. The current director has been there too long and doesn't fight for anything. They need a directer that cares about the future of the system and its riders.

yeah, when pigs fly! LOL, no, I am quite certain that BT will not be trying to buy those lemons, they probally heard to much about how horrible they are to maintain, much less actually be willing to put out the money need to get them roadworthy.

I think MTB plans to rebuild the novas before trying to sell them off. But I definitely don't see Burlington picking them up. They had the orion v's refurbed so they could get a few more years out of them. With the bus replacement funding cut, at least they are planning ahead in retrospect to that.

There had been a serious accident at the intersection of Upper Middle & Walkers Line. An 18-wheeled dump truck (?) was travelling southbound on Walkers Line had smashed a car. It looked to me as if that the car, while waiting at the intersection to head east on Upper Middle, may have been out a bit too far into Walkers Line. I couldn't see the car at all.

As a result, Route 15 South buses, for an hour, used the following detour:

East on Upper Middle, north on William O'Connell, west on Millcroft Park Drive/Jordan Ave, south on Headon Road, east on Palmer Road and south on Walkers to regular route.

Route 12 west buses, as the east wasn't affected, used this detour:

North on William O'Connell, west on Millcroft Park Drive, south on Walkers Line and through the Walkers Place plaza parking lot. I had only noticed 7029 use that plaza parking lot. I wouldn't think the 40 footer would use it though, but it seemed like the only way to go at the time.

All new buses are on the property. Retirements will be 7054, 7055, 7066, 7069 and 4 other orions. It's funny how Burlington never changes. Apparently council didn't approve transit to keep the orions as spares. Way to go Burlington, once again proving that they don't give a shit about transit! I guess this was councils final blow before the new mayor/council starts next week.

All new buses are on the property. Retirements will be 7054, 7055, 7066, 7069 and 4 other orions. It's funny how Burlington never changes. Apparently council didn't approve transit to keep the orions as spares. Way to go Burlington, once again proving that they don't give a shit about transit! I guess this was councils final blow before the new mayor/council starts next week.

So how many they are getting? Wait till there's no bus as spares, screwing the service big time!

That's the "old guards" last stand. If their motion or memo was still able to pass, well...so be it. But I wonder if the new council...along with the new mayor, who's pro-transit, has that vision and would recognize the need for spare buses to be needed if anything was to happen to any of these "New" Flyers or any bus.

Truth be told, there are some buses on that fleet now that are much more worse off and need off the road ASAP (Blue Birds). Spare buses would come in handy especially in that case.

So how many they are getting? Wait till there's no bus as spares, screwing the service big time!

8, General. Fleet numbers, unless if things have changed:

7047 to 7053-10 and 7056-10, unless if they'll overlap 7054, replacing the old 7054.

That's the "old guards" last stand. If their motion or memo was still able to pass, well...so be it. But I wonder if the new council...along with the new mayor, who's pro-transit, has that vision and would recognize the need for spare buses to be needed if anything was to happen to any of these "New" Flyers or any bus.

Truth be told, there are some buses on that fleet now that are much more worse off and need off the road ASAP (Blue Birds). Spare buses would come in handy especially in that case.

8, General. Fleet numbers, unless if things have changed:

7047 to 7053-10 and 7056-10, unless if they'll overlap 7054, replacing the old 7054.

8 buses. They should be numbered 7046-10-7053-10. I don't see why they would have skipped 7046....

As of Dec.1st:

The following buses have retired:

Classics 7054-87 and 7055-87;

Orion Vs 7066-91 & 7069-91.

Considering the continuing renovations at the garage are ongoing and teh holiday workload that transit is going through, no final decisions will be made for the other retirements, if any are to be made, will be decided upon in January.

There hasn't been any decision regarding the Invero, 7018-03, which caught fire in June on whether or not it will get repaired.

None of the 2010 New Flyers have entered service as of yet. Awaiting the installation of the Presto systems.

As of Dec.1st:

Considering the continuing renovations at the garage are ongoing and teh holiday workload that transit is going through, no final decisions will be made for the other retirements, if any are to be made, will be decided upon in January.

There hasn't been any decision regarding the Invero, 7018-03, which caught fire in June on whether or not it will get repaired.

None of the 2010 New Flyers have entered service as of yet. Awaiting the installation of the Presto systems.

My source tells me 7018-03 will be getting repaired. However, Burlington is in a battle with newflyer as to who is paying for the repairs, which is why it hasn't been started on yet.

As of Dec.1st:

7054-87 is still in service. It was on the rt 8 yesterday afternoon. However, it was changed off at 4:00. Something to do do with the transmission....