Riverside Transit Agency to receive 97 Gillig CNG BRTPlus buses.

Turbo19

As stated by the Board, Budget, and Finance Committee:

Staff is requesting authorization to award a contract to Gillig, LLC, Hayward, CA, for a quantity of 97 CNG BRTPlus vehicles that will be used in the Agency’s fixed-route and CommuterLink services. The Agency’s fleet of 40-foot buses purchased in April 2000 are nearing the end of their useful service life as defined by the Federal Transit Administration (FTA) of 12-years/500,000 miles. The majority of these buses currently have in excess of 500,000 miles and by the time new replacement buses are delivered, they will have been in revenue service beyond their 12-year life cycle.

The document can be found at the link below, along with info regarding specs, and other bids submitted including Orion, ElDorado, New Flyer, & NABI. Info is at page 13.

http://www.riverside...RENT/Agenda.pdf

RTA is getting Gilligs? Gillig is rock'in it this year. I've never seen such a come back from a bus manufacturer

Thanks, Turbo19!

Interesting that Gillig had the best fuel mileage among all proposers. Never heard that one before. And whats this about standardized tire size? (page 16)

Standardize Tire size, I would assume, means every single bus delivered would have the same exact same tire size which would mean you would be able to buy tires in bulk and mechanics wouldn't have to know how to install 10 different sizes of tires each requiring their own size of tools.(Atleast that's what I think it means)

It's probably common for large bus orders for the manufacturer to make small changes like axle, engine, or even headlight changes that makes it a pain for the agency since now they have to buy several different replacement parts even though it's technically the same bus.

RTA is getting Gilligs? Gillig is rock'in it this year. I've never seen such a come back from a bus manufacturer

Standardize Tire size, I would assume, means every single bus delivered would have the same exact same tire size which would mean you would be able to buy tires in bulk and mechanics wouldn't have to know how to install 10 different sizes of tires each requiring their own size of tools.(Atleast that's what I think it means)

It's probably common for large bus orders for the manufacturer to make small changes like axle, engine, or even headlight changes that makes it a pain for the agency since now they have to buy several different replacement parts even though it's technically the same bus.

Perhaps that is what it is. Though with 94 NABI's, I don't believe the problem is present at the moment.

And not to divert off topic, you are from Eastvale? Place is a transit wasteland. Just kidding, I'm just 10mins away from there.

And not to divert off topic, you are from Eastvale? Place is a transit wasteland. Just kidding, I'm just 10mins away from there.

I actually live in Rialto now(Still go to Eastvale from time to time to see friends), so i need to update my location, but yes I spent the last 4 years in Eastvale. It wasn't too bad. My house was only a 2 minute walk from the RTA line 3, and I would take that to Hamner and Limonite to catch the 29 to get to downtown Riverside. I was very surprised considering it was just a random suburb where farmland use to be.

Yeah, I've noticed too that Gillig seems to be selling a lot of new buses, and some to TA's that have not been big Gillig customers.

Yes, they are turning around. I once saw them as inferior, but now I am looking forward to the new and updated offerings.

I actually live in Rialto now(Still go to Eastvale from time to time to see friends), so i need to update my location, but yes I spent the last 4 years in Eastvale. It wasn't too bad. My house was only a 2 minute walk from the RTA line 3, and I would take that to Hamner and Limonite to catch the 29 to get to downtown Riverside. I was very surprised considering it was just a random suburb where farmland use to be.

Okay, I know now. I live off the 21 & 29 on Limonite between Bain and Van Buren and have since '09, and prior to that in Fontana.

I agree but I wonder why Gillig has an advantage there. . . like does New Flyer use a different size tire?

And whats this about standardized tire size? (page 16)

Gillig seems to be the only ones now using standard tires for low floor buses. NABI used to before 2003. The other bus manufacturers use low profile tires for low floor buses, however the tires are wider. Rims on standard tires are are less likely to get damaged from hitting a curb. The Gillig 29' bus and the Eldorado EZ-Rider use a smaller tire. Here are some pics I posted on another page... maybe you can tell the difference. http://www.cptdb.ca/...opic=201&st=121

Thanks, that helps me understand. So by buying Gillig they ensure that replacement tires will be the same as used on older buses in the fleet. Plus these standard profile tires are less expensive to replace than the low profile tires other manufacturers recommend.

Thanks... I try. Looking at the Wiki page, looks their 21XX series use standard tires and the 22XX series use low profile tires. Kind of interesting that their newest 40' buses are from 2002. The wiki lists a bunch of newer cutaway buses so it seems somewhat up to date.

Thanks... I try. Looking at the Wiki page, looks their 21XX series use standard tires and the 22XX series use low profile tires. Kind of interesting that their newest 40' buses are from 2002. The wiki lists a bunch of newer cutaway buses so it seems somewhat up to date.

Yep, you got it. Would it be possible for myself to edit the wiki? I have some new fleet numbers to add regarding the cutaway fleet, and for the Foothill Transit fleet.

Yep, you got it. Would it be possible for myself to edit the wiki? I have some new fleet numbers to add regarding the cutaway fleet, and for the Foothill Transit fleet.
The mileage must be pretty high then, especially if they get rid of 2002 buses before they are 12 years old.
You are making this conclusion based on the model year of these NABI buses? And to Turbo19, yes please become a Wiki editor!
I was looking at some picures, including the two from the wiki.

The mileage must be pretty high then, especially if they get rid of 2002 buses before they are 12 years old. I was looking at some picures, including the two from the wiki.

You have good eyesight! I appreciate your contributions.

On the mileage, the original post says the buses to be replaced were purchased in 2000 and replacement buses will not be delivered until the old ones are 12 years old.

Ha... I guess my eyesight is not that good after missing that. Thanks for clarifying that. Hopefully Turbo19 will be able to fix up that wiki page a little. I kind of was going off that. But I really didn't see buses from 2000 on there. But the post does state buses from April 2000, so those are life expired.

Their system is very spread out, especially with the Commuterlink Express extension, so I am not surprised the NABI have a lot miles registred in their odometers. They use cutaway buses during weekend service & routes that serve rural areas. In 2 years the DD Series 50 sound will dissapear from the streets of the Inland Empire.

GEDC0099.JPG

Ha... I guess my eyesight is not that good after missing that. Thanks for clarifying that. Hopefully Turbo19 will be able to fix up that wiki page a little. I kind of was going off that. But I really didn't see buses from 2000 on there. But the post does state buses from April 2000, so those are life expired.

I'm possibly wrong, but I recall I was told by an operator that #2101 was a demo from 2000. I also believe the bus interior (stop request cord, and wheelchair seat)was modified to match that of the current fleet. Thus it is a possibility the first NABI order was placed in 2000, but was recieved in 2001 and the vehicle years were 2001. I hope to edit the wiki soon,

I'm possibly wrong, but I recall I was told by an operator that #2101 was a demo from 2000. I also believe the bus interior (stop request cord, and wheelchair seat)was modified to match that of the current fleet. Thus it is a possibility the first NABI order was placed in 2000, but was recieved in 2001 and the vehicle years were 2001. I hope to edit the wiki soon,

Thanks. It sounds like you will get to the bottom of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the post. Anyway, perhaps we can recieve buses earlier than expected (just today I rode 3 buses that broke down). Ideally they would arrive around January, but anything is possible.

Are operations in house? Or is the system Contracted?

Having lived in Riverside county, riding RTA allot, and talking to operators, the 40-LFWs and the Thomas buses are in-house, but the cutaway vans are contractors.

As of recently the SLF's are with the contractor (Empire Transportation) now, as RTA upgraded some of it's local NABI's to CommuterLink. However, soon the SLF's will be retired in favor of, cutaways.

It's been confirmed. RTA will start recieving buses starting September of 2013.

http://www.pe.com/lo...replacement.ece