TTC Application Process

ericgu22

I needed that post thanks : ) My Training will be in March or April I had to ask for a deferral due to my son being born in March. So I had asked them for a small accommodation and they actually assisted me in getting an April start date for training. I truly want Subway and made it very vocal that it was a “preference” what are your thoughts on streetcar and or subway ? I keep hearing mixed review on street car but I was told it’s amazing by some and others hate it ? Any experience or feedback on the matter ?

On 1/18/2018 at 8:17 PM, Triggs said:

I know for operators they hired / are planning on hiring 600 or so . So the process takes alot of time , i would only assume all positions that are hiring loads , give it time im sure the ttc follows the same hiring process for every new potental hire , ref checks , police checks and such 

good luck and congrats on the interview 

Triggs

Thanks, I sure hope it doesnt take too long.

I'm looking at Talent Nest and it appears there are still open jobs from 2016. I would love it if I could send an email asking for an update, but I don't want to rock the boat too much.

Nj

3 hours ago, NigelJohnson said:

Thanks, I sure hope it doesnt take too long.

I'm looking at Talent Nest and it appears there are still open jobs from 2016. I would love it if I could send an email asking for an update, but I don't want to rock the boat too much.

Nj

I take that you didnt hear from ttc after thr job interview.  Dont ask.  

5 hours ago, Transit77 said:

I needed that post thanks : ) My Training will be in March or April I had to ask for a deferral due to my son being born in March. So I had asked them for a small accommodation and they actually assisted me in getting an April start date for training. I truly want Subway and made it very vocal that it was a “preference” what are your thoughts on streetcar and or subway ? I keep hearing mixed review on street car but I was told it’s amazing by some and others hate it ? Any experience or feedback on the matter ?

Subway is probably the hardest mode to learn.  Lots of procedures and of course the subeay rules.  Blow 2 red lights you are fired.  Since the train is riding on rails, snow makes its extrenly difficult to brake.  The emergency brakes will automatically apply after you blow through a red.  Mechanics have to come to release the brakes.

Streetcar is the hardest to operate.  From what i see streetcars have nasty tail swing.  You have to be very careful when crossing a switch.  If the switch is pointed at the wrong direction and you went through it, it is considered as a split switch or an accident.

I never done streetcars or subway.  My comments are based on the subway and streetcar operaters.

• Like 1

Wow that is intense. Damn. I saw the switch in action during my job shadow. Well I hope they beat it into you so you don’t make mistakes. I think enough practice and repetition should help with my success. Man I wish I got some material to review before I get started. Any recommendations???? Also what mode are you?

On 2018-01-23 at 12:46 PM, Transit77 said:

I've only done streetcar so far, so I can't compare it to any other mode. From operators I've spoken to that have done steeetcar and bus or all 3 modes say that streetcars are the most difficult to operate safely. Essentially, you're operating a train in mixed traffic. When operating a streetcar, you must have a very heightened awareness of your surroundings at all times and you have to be prepared to act defensively at any given moment in response to obstacles that may suddenly appear in front of you with little notice. Remember, it's a rail vehicle and handles just like a rail vehicle. If there is an obstacle obstructing your clearance, all you can do to avoid that obstacle is stop before you make contact with it. The ability to swerve around obstacles does not exist with these vehicles. Another thing is the rail itself. You know in the winter when there's a lot of snow on the road and your wheels spin because it's more difficult to gain traction? The same thing happens with streetcars when the rail is slippery. The wheels tend to spin and slide when they are attempting to gain traction in slippery rail conditions. This may increase an otherwise short stopping distance, to one that is significantly longer. We use sand to combat the effects of this spin/slide, but it can only do so much. You also have to worry about the track switches, stopping at each one to ensure that it is set for the correct direction of travel. Failure to do this could result in a serious collision with another vehicle. It's definitely not as easy as it looks and there is a lot of room for error when driving these things. 

In your opinion do you enjoy this mode ? Also what are some pros as you did list the cons : ) Amazing to know all this. Sounds like it is very involved. Also do you think streetcars will expand operation in terms of growing the network or are we just replacing the old trains? Would you switch modes and or do operators stay in those mode for most of their careers ? Sorry for all the questions just scared I might get streetcar and truly want bus or subway? Thanks a ton : )

59 minutes ago, Transit77 said:

In your opinion do you enjoy this mode ? Also what are some pros as you did list the cons : ) Amazing to know all this. Sounds like it is very involved. Also do you think streetcars will expand operation in terms of growing the network or are we just replacing the old trains? Would you switch modes and or do operators stay in those mode for most of their careers ? Sorry for all the questions just scared I might get streetcar and truly want bus or subway? Thanks a ton : )

Yeah, I enjoy it. It was originally my least preferred mode, but I've grown to like it somewhat. 

Some pros:

.You're stuck on rails, so it's not as easy to go off-route as it would be in a bus

.On the new cars, you're in a cab so you're isolated from the public (I guess that could be a pro or a con depending on how social you are)

.If there is an obstruction on the road, you're stuck behind it until it moves (could also be a con depending on your personality)

.Only a few routes to memorize as opposed to some bus divisions with many routes

.Many social and friendly operators in streetcars, we're like a big family that look out for one another

.Most streetcar routes in general are quite busy as opposed to bus routes because you're operating through the downtown core in a lot of cases. It makes your shift seem to go by quickly when you're busy and picking up a lot of people 

.You can sign up for dual-mode training. (They train you on buses so you can operate them on streetcar routes being substituted by buses during construction or a streetcar shortage) Bus operators do not have this option

There is talk about expanding the streetcar network but currently nothing has come to fruition. They're currently focusing on replacing all of the old cars. I would definitely switch modes to see what the others are like. I actually have a bid in to transfer to subway but I am still pretty junior and a lot of people senior to me have bids in, so that may not happen any time soon. Also, it's not easy to leave streetcar once you start there as streetcar operators are in high demand and management is not in a hurry to let us bid out because they need us. Some operators stay in 1 mode for their entire career while others move around. It depends on the desires of each individual operator and what suits them. Hope this helps, no problem ?

3 hours ago, Milli said:

Just an update. got a call for my training yesterday.  Mode is going to be bus and division will be Birchmount. Training starts February 14th.  

Congrats !! Im on day 18 of training and my group is going to birchmount , as of 3 days ago they started recieving new buses 

cheers 

Triggs 

Congrats to getting your training date : )

Back to steeetcar talk, thanks a million https://cptdb.ca/profile/29507-ttcopitm/

I am scared I’ll get into streetcar and never leave but I’m totally good with dual mode training that I’m willing to do : )

If that’s an option I’m totally in : )

That way I’m more valuable and for sure up my pay : ) Plus I could take some bus routes on my day off for over time. You have been super helpful. Any tips for training? What to do to ensure I pass and get on ? 

5 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

Yeah, I enjoy it. It was originally my least preferred mode, but I've grown to like it somewhat. 

Some pros:

.You're stuck on rails, so it's not as easy to go off-route as it would be in a bus

.On the new cars, you're in a cab so you're isolated from the public (I guess that could be a pro or a con depending on how social you are)

.If there is an obstruction on the road, you're stuck behind it until it moves (could also be a con depending on your personality)

.Only a few routes to memorize as opposed to some bus divisions with many routes

.Many social and friendly operators in streetcars, we're like a big family that look out for one another

.Most streetcar routes in general are quite busy as opposed to bus routes because you're operating through the downtown core in a lot of cases. It makes your shift seem to go by quickly when you're busy and picking up a lot of people 

.You can sign up for dual-mode training. (They train you on buses so you can operate them on streetcar routes being substituted by buses during construction or a streetcar shortage) Bus operators do not have this option

There is talk about expanding the streetcar network but currently nothing has come to fruition. They're currently focusing on replacing all of the old cars. I would definitely switch modes to see what the others are like. I actually have a bid in to transfer to subway but I am still pretty junior and a lot of people senior to me have bids in, so that may not happen any time soon. Also, it's not easy to leave streetcar once you start there as streetcar operators are in high demand and management is not in a hurry to let us bid out because they need us. Some operators stay in 1 mode for their entire career while others move around. It depends on the desires of each individual operator and what suits them. Hope this helps, no problem ?

A driver with about 6 yaers of srrvice had to wait 4 years before he moved to subway.  Transfer is based on senoirty rather than the day you submit the bid.  

Subway is the easiest mode to be automated.

9 hours ago, Triggs said:

Congrats !! Im on day 18 of training and my group is going to birchmount , as of 3 days ago they started recieving new buses 

cheers 

Triggs 

how big is your training group? I've heard good things about the Birchmount Division so I'm really happy. 

10 hours ago, Transit77 said:

Congrats to getting your training date : )

Back to steeetcar talk, thanks a million https://cptdb.ca/profile/29507-ttcopitm/

I am scared I’ll get into streetcar and never leave but I’m totally good with dual mode training that I’m willing to do : )

If that’s an option I’m totally in : )

That way I’m more valuable and for sure up my pay : ) Plus I could take some bus routes on my day off for over time. You have been super helpful. Any tips for training? What to do to ensure I pass and get on ? 

The only thing with dual-mode is that operators are selected to do it based on seniority, so if you do get into streetcars it could be a couple years before you'll be considered to do the training. Just do your homework and pay very close attention in class. Always ask questions if you don't understand something. If you do those things, you'll be fine.