WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

3 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Hearing from an operator Southern Avenue will be closing on June 14 this year (pick change on June 16 then). Garage has been overdue for a replacement and it's not in a good condition. 

Operations will split between Andrews, Bladensburg, and Shepherd Parkway. Could see the U5, U6, U7, V8, X9 go to Bladensburg fully, V2, V4,  go to Shepherd Parkway fully, and maybe have the D6 and W4 get trips from Andrews and Bladensburg. As for the fleet, I'm not sure where they'll go. 

If that's true, then it makes you wonder if West Ox could possibly be reactivated then? Sheppard's Parkway could shift some routes over to FMR and Cinder Bed, who could in turn, shift some of their existing routes over to West Ox depot...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

If that's true, then it makes you wonder if West Ox could possibly be reactivated then? Sheppard's Parkway could shift some routes over to FMR and Cinder Bed, who could in turn, shift some of their existing routes over to West Ox depot...

West Ox isn't planning on reopening under this plan apparently

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2024 at 12:24 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

West Ox isn't planning on reopening under this plan apparently

I’ll have to find the document from Connector, they said in it that Metro will be leaving FY25.   

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Rob S said:

I’ll have to find the document from Connector, they said in it that Metro will be leaving FY25.   

Makes sense. WMATA did give up so many VA routes to FFC or outright discontinued them since West Ox opened.

• Thanks 1

MAJOR CRIME ALERT: A teenage boy is shot and killed at Brookland Metro Station earlier today during afternoon rush hour. A group of teenagers got into a fight inside the station just before 4PM when an unknown suspect, who was not involved in the fight, fatally shot the victim. Initially, Brookland Metro Station was immediately closed after the shooting, but has since been restored between 9:30PM and 10PM. As of right now, the suspected shooter is still at large.

https://wtop.com/crime/2024/04/teenage-boy-shot-at-brookland-metro-station-dc-police-search-for-suspect/

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/victim-shot-at-brookland-metro-station-in-critical-condition/3584186/

• Sad 2

On 4/1/2024 at 7:29 PM, DCTransitFilms said:

Makes sense. WMATA did give up so many VA routes to FFC or outright discontinued them since West Ox opened.

That depot should have never been built. It was a huge mistake on WMATA's part.

If they had to do it all over again, I don't think West Ox would have been built (atleast not by Metro).

• Thanks 1

2833, 2835, 2836 and possibly more buses are on VA routes.  Is there a bus switch or maybe here on loan? Also, 2889 is on the 3Y and 2990 and 2992 on the 16Y.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Rob S said:

2833, 2835, 2836 and possibly more buses are on VA routes.  Is there a bus switch or maybe here on loan? Also, 2889 is on the 3Y and 2990 and 2992 on the 16Y.

They’re probably just loans. As for the high numbered 2900’s, they’ll use them on other Four Mile Routes to avoid cutting trips.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rob S said:

They use those Metroway 2900s a lot on the VA-DC routes lately.

1 hour ago, Metrobus1A said:

They’re probably just loans. As for the high numbered 2900’s, they’ll use them on other Four Mile Routes to avoid cutting trips.

Speaking of those XN40s, a lot of them in the lower range haven’t been tracked recently. Also some have been spotted at Shepherd Parkway as of recently. I still don’t understand how 2915 and 2975 got into accidents though. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Rob S said:

12 hours ago, Metrobus1A said:

11 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

Speaking of those XN40s, a lot of them in the lower range haven’t been tracked recently. Also some have been spotted at Shepherd Parkway as of recently. I still don’t understand how 2915 and 2975 got into accidents though. 

That's probably because it's about that time to overhaul those 2015-2016 New Flyer XN40 CNGs. They are approaching 8-9 years of age. As for the Metroways units, this isn't the first time Metro (specifically Four Mile Run depot) has done this. Back before they got their first XN40s years ago, they would use to use route branded 2005-2006 Orion 7.501 OG CNGs on others routes. It was regularly reported that REX bus O7 CNGs were seen working on other routes. I personally remember one time back in late 2006 (just a few months after they were delivered), I caught a 9S branded 2006 Orion 7.501 OG CNG (IIRC #2672) on the (at the time) Van Dorn Street Station bound 25B. Also remember that #2701-2730, while never officially branded as 5A Dulles units, were meant to mostly serve that line originally. However, most of them were used on the 17s, 18s, and 29 lines (aka, express routes, whenever Royal Street depot didn't have any runs on those). 38B branded buses would be seen on 16 line buses or 10 line buses. Even before the Orion 7s got here, same thing with the 2000 Orion 6.501s. Used to see the 13 branded buses as well as the 38B branded buses all over FMR's spare of influence.

Speaking of the overhaul, saw 2016 New Flyer XN40 CNG #2938, freshly rehabbed working the 1C and later, the 2B yesterday afternoon.

PS, 2016 New Flyer XN40 CNG #2915 has been OOS since 2017 or so.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DCTransitFilms said:

It seems that the cancellation of all D.C. Circulator services is almost done deal as the city government's FY24 budget pretty much assumes the system is gone. There is talk of selling all of the bus system's assets including the fleet. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the fleet. If WMATA and/or the other area systems buys them, I could see it like this: WMATA buys the New Flyer XDE40 Hybrids and XD40 Clean Diesels and numbers them #7273-7290 (WMATA originally was going to have their 2016 XDE40s start with #7273) and XD40s to #4400-4425. The 2009 Van Hools would just be retired while the Proterras could possibly be purchased by DASH bus and number in the #800 series for them, to help kill off their Gillig Hybrid fleet and to expand their fleet as well. There is also the possibility that Fairfax Connector could purchase the ex-Circulator 2017 New Flyer XD40 fleet as they are no stranger to secondhand buses (ex-Wooflines for example). Any thoughts?

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

That's probably because it's about that time to overhaul those 2015-2016 New Flyer XN40 CNGs. They are approaching 8-9 years of age. As for the Metroways units, this isn't the first time Metro (specifically Four Mile Run depot) has done this. Back before they got their first XN40s years ago, they would use to use route branded 2005-2006 Orion 7.501 OG CNGs on others routes. It was regularly reported that REX bus O7 CNGs were seen working on other routes. I personally remember one time back in late 2006 (just a few months after they were delivered), I caught a 9S branded 2006 Orion 7.501 OG CNG (IIRC #2672) on the (at the time) Van Dorn Street Station bound 25B. Also remember that #2701-2730, while never officially branded as 5A Dulles units, were meant to mostly serve that line originally. However, most of them were used on the 17s, 18s, and 29 lines (aka, express routes, whenever Royal Street depot didn't have any runs on those). 38B branded buses would be seen on 16 line buses or 10 line buses. Even before the Orion 7s got here, same thing with the 2000 Orion 6.501s. Used to see the 13 branded buses as well as the 38B branded buses all over FMR's spare of influence.

Speaking of the overhaul, saw 2016 New Flyer XN40 CNG #2938, freshly rehabbed working the 1C and later, the 2B yesterday afternoon.

PS, 2016 New Flyer XN40 CNG #2915 has been OOS since 2017 or so.

How many more XN40s still have to be overhauled?   Seems like they are doing them out of order.

4 hours ago, Rob S said:

How many more XN40s still have to be overhauled?   Seems like they are doing them out of order.

I believe so. I think most of the #2800s should be complete now though. It also seems like they are indeed skipping both the Orion 7 3G BRTs and the NABI BRT 42 Hybrid fleets, which could mean retirement for both in the near future.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Metrobus1A said:

From everything I’ve heard, yes. Once the manifests are out, I’ll let you guys know what the changes are.

Guessing the remaining 2006 D40LFRs are going to go bye-bye once this happens as this will technically mean Metrobus will have a surplus fleet afterwards. There will probably be schedule changes in some parts of the system. Does the D.C. Circulator fiasco also occur by this pick?

Also, I noticed yesterday that atleast a few of the rehabbed 2015-2016 New Flyer XN40 CNGs are getting the full overhaul treatment. As in, new non-opening windows found on the newer XD40s/XN40s/XD60s/XE60s, and new rear grills found on the 2019-2020 (and presumably the upcoming 2024) New Flyer XN40 CNGs. #2922 and #2932 both got this treatment as I saw the latter on the 22A and former on the 25B yesterday.

• Thanks 1

On 4/17/2024 at 12:11 PM, New Yorker 2001 said:

It seems that the cancellation of all D.C. Circulator services is almost done deal as the city government's FY24 budget pretty much assumes the system is gone. There is talk of selling all of the bus system's assets including the fleet. It will be interesting to see what becomes of the fleet. If WMATA and/or the other area systems buys them, I could see it like this: WMATA buys the New Flyer XDE40 Hybrids and XD40 Clean Diesels and numbers them #7273-7290 (WMATA originally was going to have their 2016 XDE40s start with #7273) and XD40s to #4400-4425. The 2009 Van Hools would just be retired while the Proterras could possibly be purchased by DASH bus and number in the #800 series for them, to help kill off their Gillig Hybrid fleet and to expand their fleet as well. There is also the possibility that Fairfax Connector could purchase the ex-Circulator 2017 New Flyer XD40 fleet as they are no stranger to secondhand buses (ex-Wooflines for example). Any thoughts?

The D.C. council has the power to approve, modify or cancel the Mayor's plan, so it's not a done deal yet. There has definitely been pushback from residents in Anacostia and elsewhere about losing their Circulator routes, so stay tuned.

3 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Does the D.C. Circulator fiasco also occur by this pick?

If the Circulator is cut, it would take effect next March.

• Sad 1