WMATA Washington

DCAreaTransitFan

On 1/17/2024 at 11:33 PM, Metrobus1A said:

The newer buses will get here when they get here. Until then, we’ll make do with what we have. Plain and simple.

It is a discussion board though 🫤 

On 1/17/2024 at 1:25 PM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Any idea what those 75 new Hybrids are going to be? WMATA honestly should just expand that to 250 new hybrids to really clean house with the remaining 2006 D40LFRs, the remaining 2009 DE42LFAs (and 2009 DE37LFAs) and the 2010 DE42LFAs.

Stop playing around and order more than enough buses to take out several EOL models.

I'm thinking most likely New Flyers , Bus Engineering and Mechanics already have experience with the existing New Flyers hybrids.  Once the RFP is completed we will know for sure, I don't think it's been awarded yet.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, vvozz said:

It is a discussion board though 🫤 

I'm thinking most likely New Flyers , Bus Engineering and Mechanics already have experience with the existing New Flyers hybrids.  Once the RFP is completed we will know for sure, I don't think it's been awarded yet.

Fair points. I just try to avoid endless speculation.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Er1ckRailfan6119 said:

Excuse me sir? If u work at Mountgomery Division why u dont ask for a LFR? Just asking sir..

Two reasons-

1. We only have 2-3 in active revenue service.

2. Most of the time, buses are assigned to us so we don’t get to choose.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Metrobus1A said:

Two reasons-

Speaking of the LFRs, there is one retired there I remember seeing two weeks ago. It’s part behind one of the blue DE40LFAs.

• Thanks 1

On 1/27/2024 at 3:39 PM, Metrobus1A said:

Two reasons-

Don't the higher members of the brass get to choose what bus they want? Isn't that the whole reason why the NABI BRT 42 Hybrids are not used very much?

In subway news, I can confirm that the Silver line is indeed using six car 7000 series sets now. They are all over the line. Is Metro going to do that on other lines too? What was the reason for this move?

• Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 9:58 AM, New Yorker 2001 said:

Don't the higher members of the brass get to choose what bus they want? Isn't that the whole reason why the NABI BRT 42 Hybrids are not used very much?

In subway news, I can confirm that the Silver line is indeed using six car 7000 series sets now. They are all over the line. Is Metro going to do that on other lines too? What was the reason for this move?

When I was on the bus side , generally if you were in good terms with the dispatchers you could ask for a certain kind of bus but most times there was always plenty of buses down for repairs so I got what I got , and as far as subway according to the memo we received with our manifest it's to speed up the retirement of the 2&3k series. For now it's just on the silver line.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vvozz said:

When I was on the bus side , generally if you were in good terms with the dispatchers you could ask for a certain kind of bus but most times there was always plenty of buses down for repairs so I got what I got , and as far as subway according to the memo we received with our manifest it's to speed up the retirement of the 2&3k series. For now it's just on the silver line.

But how can they do that when the 8000 series are still a few years away from delivery? IIRC, the first test train will be delivered either late this year or sometime next and the full production would begin in late 2025-2026. Unless this is to prepare for the possible service cuts coming this year..?

Also, rode the R2 bus last night and 2016 New Flyer XN40 CNG (#2861) decided to breakdown on me. This is only the 4th or 5th time I ever had a Metrobus breakdown on me (and the second time from Bladensburg depot). Been riding WMATA for almost 20 years now, so that's interesting. It got replaced by 2019 New Flyer XN40 CNG #3231.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, vvozz said:

has any 2Ks or 3Ks been retired? There were a bunch out when I was in the DMV during winter break.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

Also, rode the R2 bus last night and 2016 New Flyer XN40 CNG (#2861) decided to breakdown on me. This is only the 4th or 5th time I ever had a Metrobus breakdown on me (and the second time from Bladensburg depot). Been riding WMATA for almost 20 years now, so that's interesting. It got replaced by 2019 New Flyer XN40 CNG #3231.

I’ve had to road call buses before. It happened to me twice since I’ve been at Montgomery. I even remember the buses themselves- 6482 and 7344.

Most of you know this already, but to those who are new or maybe curious about what we do when a bus gets road called, we radio BOCC and inform them. Then, a replacement bus is sent to our location so we can continue the trip and the broken down one is towed back to the division.

Edited by Metrobus1A
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

But how can they do that when the 8000 series are still a few years away from delivery? IIRC, the first test train will be delivered either late this year or sometime next and the full production would begin in late 2025-2026. Unless this is to prepare for the possible service cuts coming this year..?

I'm not completely sure but I'm guess breaking the 7K   into 6cars means more available trains? That's just my own opinion though. I'm currently out of Branch Ave I haven't seen any 6 car 7K's

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCTransitFilms said:

So I’m hearing WMATA are demoing BYDs (hearing there 10 of them). A picture of a BYD (think the K11M) was leaked with WMATA colors on it. Interesting development. 
credits to original creator:

DD5E34A2-8516-4613-881E-625382519BFD.jpeg

Former ABQ Ride Bus built in 2019. 

1 hour ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

I was gonna say that there was no way that is true because that would be a national security risk. Same reason why CRRC is not allowed to build subway cars from Metro or NY MTA.

Yeah foamers online really got no life but spread misinformation as a joke…

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

I do wonder though if the Nova LFSe order will be cancelled in favor of additional XE40s?

Nova still promised to fulfill all remaining orders ik. I do know those XE40s and LFSes are still in the order books.

• Thanks 1