Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

Was at u of Manitoba yesterday afternoon with a driver friend and got to deadhead thru the stagging area. As of right now there’s two porta potties no idea when construction will begin on the actual permanent comfort station. Update on signs at the actual station no signs in yet just the housing will keep y’all updated as in back on Friday.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

A temporary centre fence has appeared between the arrival stop alongside ArtLab (south side of Dafoe Road). This picture is from Friday, 13 April 2018.

winnipeg-UofMStation-daw13April2018.thumb.jpg.53857697574f475dda7f3ba63e8daacf.jpg

As I understand it the flow of pedestrians getting off arriving buses and crossing Dafoe Road, especially those who jaywalk outside of the designated crosswalk, are an operational concern.  I would assume this fence is supposed to help and I would guess if it proves helpful the temporary fence will be replaced with a permanent one.

I went for a walk in the area along the Southwest Transitway just south of Chevrier Blvd.  This is the site of one of the major structures of Phase II.  The Transitway has to cross two railways spurs and the CN Letellier Sub as it transitions from the Hydro corridor west of the tracks to the east side of the Letellier right-of-way.

winnipeg-SWTCchevrier1-daw22Apr2018.thumb.jpg.87d45f012f635c6afcf8259e6f7bfeee.jpg Sunday 22 April 2018

I can't remember. Was this initially proposed as a tunnel?  I also recall that the two spurs were supposed to be combined into one but the construction clearly accommodates both railway spurs as is.

This second view shows the long length of the overpass under construction and the ramps being constructed at both ends of the overpass.

winnipeg-SWTCchevrier2-daw22Apr2018.thumb.jpg.dc26076df0e84380f0e5123eb90165ca.jpg Sunday 22 April 2018

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

I went for a walk in the area along the Southwest Transitway just south of Chevrier Blvd.  This is the site of one of the major structures of Phase II.  The Transitway has to cross two railways spurs and the CN Letellier Sub as it transitions from the Hydro corridor west of the tracks to the east side of the Letellier right-of-way.

winnipeg-SWTCchevrier1-daw22Apr2018.thumb.jpg.87d45f012f635c6afcf8259e6f7bfeee.jpg Sunday 22 April 2018

I can't remember. Was this initially proposed as a tunnel?  I also recall that the two spurs were supposed to be combined into one but the construction clearly accommodates both railway spurs as is.

This second view shows the long length of the overpass under construction and the ramps being constructed at both ends of the overpass.

winnipeg-SWTCchevrier2-daw22Apr2018.thumb.jpg.dc26076df0e84380f0e5123eb90165ca.jpg Sunday 22 April 2018

This was supposed to be a tunnel. I’m still confused is the there still gonna be a tunnel by the Pembina underpass by the CN mainline yo cross the letellier sub

14 minutes ago, wpgtransit183-2 said:

This was supposed to be a tunnel. I’m still confused is the there still gonna be a tunnel by the Pembina underpass by the CN mainline yo cross the letellier sub

I believe that the tunnel planned to cross under the Letellier Sub at Portage Junction has been replaced with an overpass. The tendering process allowed bidders to propose less expensive alternatives so long as they didn't degrade the intended operational outcome. 

I believe replacing the tunnel(s) was a major contribution to the winning bid coming in substantially under budget.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2018 at 1:29 PM, DavidW said:

A temporary centre fence has appeared between the arrival stop alongside ArtLab (south side of Dafoe Road). This picture is from Friday, 13 April 2018.

As I understand it the flow of pedestrians getting off arriving buses and crossing Dafoe Road, especially those who jaywalk outside of the designated crosswalk, are an operational concern.  I would assume this fence is supposed to help and I would guess if it proves helpful the temporary fence will be replaced with a permanent one.

It annoys me that that bus stop is set so far back from the crosswalk. There wouldn't have been nearly as much jaywalking if the buses let people off right at the crosswalk (like they do at all other RT stations) rather than 40 feet back from it.

And while I'm complaining...it's 19 degrees out and the heaters are still on at U of M Station.

3 hours ago, car4041 said:

It annoys me that that bus stop is set so far back from the crosswalk. There wouldn't have been nearly as much jaywalking if the buses let people off right at the crosswalk (like they do at all other RT stations) rather than 40 feet back from it.

And while I'm complaining...it's 19 degrees out and the heaters are still on at U of M Station.

It still gets cold at night 

On 4/23/2018 at 4:08 PM, DavidW said:

I believe that the tunnel planned to cross under the Letellier Sub at Portage Junction has been replaced with an overpass. The tendering process allowed bidders to propose less expensive alternatives so long as they didn't degrade the intended operational outcome. 

I believe replacing the tunnel(s) was a major contribution to the winning bid coming in substantially under budget.

Correction... The Transitway will still pass under the tracks near Pembina and Jubilee.  I was told at the Rapid Transit open house last week that the railway bridge for the west track of the wye is already complete, but that the east track bridge can't be built until the main line is shifted north and onto the new railway bridge over Pembina Highway.

They've already dug a big hole on the west side of Portage Junction, so I'm pretty sure the decision about doing a tunnel there is locked in. The layout of the tracks south of the CNR Mainline hasn't changed yet, nor has any work begun on it (to my knowledge), but I'm sure once the CNR Mainline bridge over Pembina is complete and operational, CN will begin work on it.

2 hours ago, Taylorover9001 said:

They've already dug a big hole on the west side of Portage Junction, so I'm pretty sure the decision about doing a tunnel there is locked in. The layout of the tracks south of the CNR Mainline hasn't changed yet, nor has any work begun on it (to my knowledge), but I'm sure once the CNR Mainline bridge over Pembina is complete and operational, CN will begin work on it.

I believe it’s not even CN it’s a contractor who does a lot of CN major projects but once the track end is laid in should see some progress my question is it a 3 track bridge as it is right now with 2 main line tracks and one track leading south towards the states or just a two track bridge 

20 hours ago, wpgtransit183-2 said:

I believe it’s not even CN it’s a contractor who does a lot of CN major projects but once the track end is laid in should see some progress my question is it a 3 track bridge as it is right now with 2 main line tracks and one track leading south towards the states or just a two track bridge 

I would be very surprised if the bridge over Pembina is not 3 tracks (2 for the CN Rivers, and 1 for the CN Letellier/Fort Rouge Yard), as it is right now.

Right now, the CN Letellier goes straight into Fort Rouge Yard, paralleling the CN Rivers over Pembina, and I'd be very, very surprised if that changes. For example, with southbound trains (CN 532), they usually work at Fort Rouge Yard (not just go straight through) first before going south on the CN Letellier. Heading out of Fort Rouge, there's no point in forcing CN 532 to go onto the CN Rivers first, then immediately going onto the CN Letellier. It's the same thing with northbound trains (CN 533), but in reverse.

Also, while I'm here, here's a diagram on Google Earth I made awhile back of the Portage Junction area. Ignore lines being above or below other lines.

Yellow: Rapid Transit

Blue: Current Rails

Brown: New Rails

Screenshot (602).png

A couple more photographs of Southwest Transitway progress...

Construction is well underway where the Transitway crosses Bishop Grandin Boulevard.  This first shot shows the construction of the piers for the Transitway bridge.  Transitway will be on the east side of the CN track bridge.

winnipeg-CWTSswtbgb2-daw2018may17.thumb.jpg.e31f0528d48e32c0e6fc85b2f1b051ac.jpg 17 May 2018

Second photo is of the west side of the CN track bridge.  Shown is the active transportation (bicycle/pedestrian) bridge.  The main horizontal structure of the bridge is in place.

winnipeg-CWTSswtbgb-daw2018May17.thumb.jpg.b1aec63b6a5be17712e85657b907aa21.jpg 17 May 2018

As a stray observation... Each of the station or major construction sites I've visited have involved a substantial walk from the nearest bus stop. It's really a big red flag that this line is being built where today Winnipeg Transit provides little or no service.  The stations are generally in places where today Transit ridership is genuinely NIL or near NIL.  So many community activists (myself included) made ourselves hoarse trying to convey the message that this line was being built in the wrong place, and our efforts fell on stone-deaf ears.

Upper part of the pedestrian bridge over Bishop Grandin today.

20180519_153411.jpg

For the rapid transit that already exists, the RT buses are almost always jam-packed during the day, due to the U of M. I wouldn't be surprised if this fact stays true. Not sure how many people will get on or off at intermediate stops, but I guarantee the buses will be packed, mostly with U of M students. I wouldn't be surprised if people go from 78 to RT and vice versa. And don't forget, those houses you see down there, they're not just for show. People do live in them. People will go from those houses to the RT and vice versa. Winnipeg is continuing to expand, so is Winnipeg Transit. I'm not necessarily defending the RT, but people will be riding the RT buses down there. I'm not an expert on this subject, but I do have eyeballs and a brain. One more thing, RT buses don't have to stay on the RT. I assume some buses will go up Chancellor Dr.

• 2 weeks later...

The first part of the structure spanning the CN Letellier sub between Chevrier Boulevard and Plaza Drive is in.

winnipeg-CWTSrtoverpass-daw2018may27.thumb.jpg.317937892111e671b82888600afc3baa.jpg

Taken Sunday 27 May 2018.  This photo also shows the under construction ramp from the underpass down towards Plaza Drive station.

• 2 weeks later...

The open house for the Eastern Corridor transitway is coming up in a few weeks (June 18-21) and the open house boards are online. This open house is to present the various routing options. The one thing that caught my eye was that the preferred routing in downtown will use Main Street instead of Union Station. The report states that the cost would be high to use Union Station. More details here: http://winnipegtransit.com/en/major-projects/rapid-transit/eastern-corridor-study/  The open house boards link is: http://winnipegtransit.com/assets/2249/17M-00063-00_Eastern_Corridor_Open_House_Boards_20180531.pdf Hopefully this project isn't too far off and is mostly grade-separated.

I think the current use of Main Street with phase one is a major downgrade of what was once envisioned. I assume it's plodding through the traffic, lights, and clogged bus stops on Main that make most southbound buses late by Osborne Station, and the two blocks in mixed traffic on Harkness and Mayfair can't be doing northbound buses any favours.  If they're staying on south Main then they need to come up with something to improve performance through it. 

I'm not surprised going through Union Station presents extra costs. It's just staying on Main Street kind of makes the whole project pointless. Why don't we just relabel the 47 as the 147 and call it "BRT".  Leave it in mixed traffic on Nairn and Regent, waiting at the same red lights as all the other traffic. I mean, that would cost practically nothing and would apparently meet their "rapid transit" standards. 

Sigh... 

• Haha 1

On 6/6/2018 at 1:39 AM, DavidW said:

I think the current use of Main Street with phase one is a major downgrade of what was once envisioned. I assume it's plodding through the traffic, lights, and clogged bus stops on Main that make most southbound buses late by Osborne Station, and the two blocks in mixed traffic on Harkness and Mayfair can't be doing northbound buses any favours.  If they're staying on south Main then they need to come up with something to improve performance through it. 

I'm not surprised going through Union Station presents extra costs. It's just staying on Main Street kind of makes the whole project pointless. Why don't we just relabel the 47 as the 147 and call it "BRT".  Leave it in mixed traffic on Nairn and Regent, waiting at the same red lights as all the other traffic. I mean, that would cost practically nothing and would apparently meet their "rapid transit" standards. 

Sigh... 

So that big road that they built and are building is nothing?

A glimpse of the western CN Letellier Subdivision rail bridge over the RT construction just west of Pembina.

YourFileSizeRestrictionIsTooSmall.jpg

And a look of the bridge over the CN Letellier Subdivision and spurs by Chevrier.

FileSizeRestrictionStillTooSmall.jpg

The horizontal component of the busway bridge over Bishop Grandin Boulevard was installed in the last few days of May and/or the first couple of days of June 2018.

Here is a picture from Sunday 03 June 2018.

winnipeg-CWTSswtcBGBbridge-daw2018Jun03.thumb.jpg.d9f7d9c61cd0e26ee65f11e8a5632337.jpg

• Thanks 1