Valley Metro (Phoenix)

ABQ RIDE

Yep, saw it on the news as well as on Facebook. Operating Route 81 (Hayden/McClintock). I wonder if this bus will be repaired or scrapped.

Yep, saw it on the news as well as on Facebook. Operating Route 81 (Hayden/McClintock). I wonder if this bus will be repaired or scrapped.

I would anticipate that unless the damages are prohibitively expensive, the bus would be repaired. It's a 2009 model and in the scheme of things would still have at least 7 years of life left on it.

Also, it appears that the Veolia operated 2007 D40LFs are all operating out of the Phoenix South division now (with some 2002 NABI 40LFWs transferred to the Phoenix North division). It's been several weeks since I've seen a D40LF on a Phoenix North (Desert Cove) operated route. All of the Phoenix North runs I've observed have been operated by 2014 C40LFRs, 1999 NABI 40LFWs, and even some 2002 NABI 40LFWs.

I would anticipate that unless the damages are prohibitively expensive, the bus would be repaired. It's a 2009 model and in the scheme of things would still have at least 7 years of life left on it.

Also, it appears that the Veolia operated 2007 D40LFs are all operating out of the Phoenix South division now (with some 2002 NABI 40LFWs transferred to the Phoenix North division). It's been several weeks since I've seen a D40LF on a Phoenix North (Desert Cove) operated route. All of the Phoenix North runs I've observed have been operated by 2014 C40LFRs, 1999 NABI 40LFWs, and even some 2002 NABI 40LFWs.

Actually, the L40LFRs are 2010 models.

I wonder, what is taking so long for the joint RPTA-Phoenix RFP? An unresolved protest by a manufacturer, perhaps? I know Gillig and ElDorado really want part of this contract badly, especially ElDorado who was previously screwed by the City of Phoenix.

The exterior seems to be relatively unscathed, save for maybe a dent or two. It's possible that some mechanical components could have suffered water damage, however I didn't see anything that would be irreparable.

Actually, the L40LFRs are 2010 models.

I wonder, what is taking so long for the joint RPTA-Phoenix RFP? An unresolved protest by a manufacturer, perhaps? I know Gillig and ElDorado really want part of this contract badly, especially ElDorado who was previously screwed by the City of Phoenix.

Oops, my mistake. I forgot that the L40LFRs are 2010s.

Going back to the subject of the joint RPTA/Phoenix bus procurement, I just got word that the City of Phoenix and the RPTA are in the last stages in the evaluation process, and there will be a meeting with the evaluation team next week, where a final recommendation should come out of it. Once the recommendations have been made, I will post them here.

The number one recommendation they could take for a new bus order is ...

Move the ramp to the front door with everyone else. Sadly, Phoenix has left us with the worst legacy of a one time strong RTS fleet; the rear door wheelchair rap/lift. With the forward facing seats immediately behind the rear wheel well there is a very narrow space in the busiest section of the coach. Additionally, there probably is not a need for 3 w/c positions. That setup is rarely used in the US ... i doubt Valley Metro even knows how often all three positions are occupied simultaneously. Finally, the ramp at the rear door makes it awkward for those with walkers and other mobilities devices as they might be able to get on in the front if the bus is kneeled; or they might not depending on how the driver pulled in. To use the ramp they now have to make their way to the back door. Its a giant time waster and overall customer unfriendly.

The number one recommendation they could take for a new bus order is ...

Move the ramp to the front door with everyone else. Sadly, Phoenix has left us with the worst legacy of a one time strong RTS fleet; the rear door wheelchair rap/lift. With the forward facing seats immediately behind the rear wheel well there is a very narrow space in the busiest section of the coach. Additionally, there probably is not a need for 3 w/c positions. That setup is rarely used in the US ... i doubt Valley Metro even knows how often all three positions are occupied simultaneously. Finally, the ramp at the rear door makes it awkward for those with walkers and other mobilities devices as they might be able to get on in the front if the bus is kneeled; or they might not depending on how the driver pulled in. To use the ramp they now have to make their way to the back door. Its a giant time waster and overall customer unfriendly.

Interestingly, the Scottsdale Trolley Gillig buses have front wheelchair ramps. Also, if Gillig wins part of the joint Phoenix/RPTA contract, I wonder if the wheelchair ramp will be in the front or rear door. I know that the rear door will be behind all three wheelchair positions, as the requirement of having two wheelchair positions aft of the rear door was deleted in an addendum as per Gillig's request.

Well, it is Friday, but unfortunately there still hasn't been an award recommendation announcement posted on the City of Phoenix website. Unless the meeting is today, perhaps it could have been delayed to next week due to this past Monday's flash flooding. Even if the meeting is today, perhaps it won't be immediately posted.

An update to the joint Phoenix/RPTA procurement, an award recommendation has been made, however, it is confidential until it is officially posted. The reason it hasn't been posted yet is because the management teams from both the City of Phoenix and the RPTA both need to be briefed prior to posting the award recommendations on their websites.

I am pretty sure that New Flyer got the 60-foot articulated bus part of the contract, since neither Gillig nor ElDorado make artics. The 40-foot and BRT sections are any of the three's game, although if anyone bid 60-foot buses for the BRT part of the contract I could see New Flyer getting it as well. I would say that Gillig or ElDorado probably got the 30-foot bus part of the contract, although the New Flyer MiDi is a possibility (although I believe these buses will be for the City of Phoenix to replace the ElDorado EZ Rider IIs used on Route 19C, not for the Tempe Orbit which I think will be procured separately).

• 2 weeks later...

Award recommendations announced

https://www.phoenix.gov/financesite/TabulationsAndAwards/Recommendation%20RFP%20PT14-005.pdf

It looks like the award recommendations have been announced. The 30-foot bus part of the contract is being awarded to ElDorado, the 40-foot standard bus part of the contract is being awarded to Gillig, and the 60-foot articulated and 40/45/60-foot BRT parts of the contract are being awarded to New Flyer.

Whoa! Awesome for variety in the valley of the Sun. What a cool way to do it :P

I'm intrigued by the separation of 40 foot transit bus (Gillig) vs. 40-45 BRT transit bus. I'm guessing they didn't get any manufacturer to bid a 45 footer!

And El Dorado 30 footers are still alive and kicking. How many will Phoenix be getting? (Maybe that info is earlier in this thread?)

Whoa! Awesome for variety in the valley of the Sun. What a cool way to do it :P

I'm intrigued by the separation of 40 foot transit bus (Gillig) vs. 40-45 BRT transit bus. I'm guessing they didn't get any manufacturer to bid a 45 footer!

And El Dorado 30 footers are still alive and kicking. How many will Phoenix be getting? (Maybe that info is earlier in this thread?)

The 30-foot bus part of the contract is very small. I don't remember the exact number, but I think it was less than 10 including options. I presume the 30-foot contract is simply to replace the existing ElDorado EZ Rider IIs on Route 19C, and that's it. The new buses will probably be EZ Rider II MAX.

Thanks!

I'm guessing that the Gilligs will be the traditional front end (I don't dig it but it is more practical than the heavy cap on a Gillig BRT) and then they will buy Xcelsiors when they want a "BRT" look.

Is there any actual Valley Metro BRT line?

Well, it is possible that those BRT options with New Flyer may be to replace the Phoenix and Tempe NABI 45C-LFWs used on the Rapid and some Tempe-operated express routes, respectively. In addition, there is also the proposed Scottsdale/Rural Road LINK route, and the other two existing LINK routes (Main Street LINK and Arizona/Country Club LINK) use BRT-styled buses (New Flyer D40LFA and D60LFA).

Thanks!

I'm guessing that the Gilligs will be the traditional front end (I don't dig it but it is more practical than the heavy cap on a Gillig BRT) and then they will buy Xcelsiors when they want a "BRT" look.

The light rail "Link" trips are technically BRT, and there are some other routes on the back burner that are planned. The current BRT fleet isn't very old. In the nearer term will be replacement of the Compobuses which Phoenix uses on "Rapid" (park-and-ride) and Tempe uses on Express runs. RPTA's fleet replacement plan shows 2015 for replacement of Tempe's fleet; I don't know what Phoenix has planned. The Compobuses are only 10-11 years old.

The light rail "Link" trips are technically BRT, and there are some other routes on the back burner that are planned. The current BRT fleet isn't very old. In the nearer term will be replacement of the Compobuses which Phoenix uses on "Rapid" (park-and-ride) and Tempe uses on Express runs. RPTA's fleet replacement plan shows 2015 for replacement of Tempe's fleet; I don't know what Phoenix has planned. The Compobuses are only 10-11 years old.

I wonder how many miles the Compobuses get on them, per day. The Tempe ones pretty much only run trip in the AM and one in the PM; there's no daybase service for them (even so, I saw a DE60LFR on a PM 514 a few days ago). The Phoenix ones get a little more use on the Rapid routes, but not a *ton* more. I question the need for a dedicated fleet going forward. I also question the need for most of the Express routes; they do not seem to be well used and with only 2-4 trips per peak period, are the worst type of commuter routes left over from a planning era where you just "put it out there."

I wonder how many miles the Compobuses get on them, per day. The Tempe ones pretty much only run trip in the AM and one in the PM; there's no daybase service for them (even so, I saw a DE60LFR on a PM 514 a few days ago). The Phoenix ones get a little more use on the Rapid routes, but not a *ton* more. I question the need for a dedicated fleet going forward. I also question the need for most of the Express routes; they do not seem to be well used and with only 2-4 trips per peak period, are the worst type of commuter routes left over from a planning era where you just "put it out there."

Well, one of the express routes (511) is planned to be discontinued this month due to low ridership. As for the others, considering that several get artics seems to make me believe that those express routes get some significant use. I actually heard the Phoenix RAPID routes were originally supposed to get artics, but no manufacturer offered an LNG artic model (they weren't allowed to buy diesel buses at the time; all buses had to be CNG, LNG, or propane).

Note that the RPTA ordered a dedicated express New Flyer C40LFR fleet in 2012.

A dedicated fleet offers nicer seats, lighting, Wi-Fi (on the newer RPTA buses). Does that benefit to customers outweigh use of "rush hour specials" from the mainstream fleet? It wasn't that long ago that the Express services used what was left in the yard; it wasn't pretty.

Also, since this was a joint procurement, I expect all of these buses will have Allison transmissions, since Phoenix has a preference for them. Sure, most of the RPTA and Tempe fleets use ZF, however, they are no stranger to Allison, considering their old NABIs had Allison transmissions. In addition, the Tempe NABI 45C-LFWs and New Flyer DE60LFRs, as well as the RPTA NABI 60-BRTs have Allison. Also, the currently offered ZF transmission is the EcoLife, which is a new and totally different transmission compared to the Ecomat 4 in the existing RPTA and Tempe fleets, and thus would require training their mechanics on a new transmission that they are not familiar with.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been checking this often, but for some reason the Valley Metro website still lists the RFP as "Under Review" even though the City of Phoenix has already posted the award recommendations on their website. Perhaps the RPTA might have an issue with the awarded manufacturers, or maybe there is an unresolved protest by a manufacturer.