Valley Metro (Phoenix)

ABQ RIDE

FYI, the 35-foot Gilligs for Scottsdale are confirmed to be 4509-4514.

Another thing to wonder: are there any plans to replace the aging Startrans and ElDorado cutaway buses on the Downtown Mesa BUZZ? These cutaways were built in 2005, and I have heard that they have been breaking down quite often that they would have to bring in one of the NABI 40-LFW buses over from the Tempe yard as a substitute when there are no spares available. The RPTA has a contract with Starcraft for new cutaways, and perhaps new cutaways for the BUZZ can be purchased off this contract, just as the City of Tempe did for the new Orbit cutaways.

I can confirm that 6379 and 6600 were both being used on BUZZ on Tuesday.

Also, the Friday before last, I saw 6634 on the FLASH Back. This is the first time I have ever seen a C40LFR on FLASH duties, although from what I've heard, it is soon to become the norm. Kinda reminded me of that time late 2009/early 2010 when the flash routes were operated mainly by ex-Sky Harbor C40LFs, when the NABIs were out being rehabilitated.

I can confirm that 6379 and 6600 were both being used on BUZZ on Tuesday.

Also' date=' the Friday before last, I saw 6634 on the FLASH Back. This is the first time I have ever seen a C40LFR on FLASH duties, although from what I've heard, it is soon to become the norm. Kinda reminded me of that time late 2009/early 2010 when the flash routes were operated mainly by ex-Sky Harbor C40LFs, when the NABIs were out being rehabilitated. [/quote']

Yep, after the NABI 35-LFWs are retired there will no longer be a dedicated FLASH fleet. I would actually think the L40LFRs would be perfect for the FLASH due to their shorter range, however, I don't know if there are enough of them to cover all three FLASH routes.

A little more info on the Scottsdale Gilligs:

• Hybrid system is confirmed to be an Allison H 40 EP.
  • Seats are American Seating Vision.
  • The wheelchair ramp is at the front door, which is very surprising, since most Valley Metro buses have it at the rear door.
  • The windows are more tinted than standard.
  • Like the RPTA-owned 2008/2009 New Flyer C40LFRs, these buses have stop request buttons and touch tapes, rather than pull cords.
  • Destination signs are Luminator Horizon.
  • There is no Route Scout (annunciators) on these buses at this time. However, there appears to be provisions to add the system sometime in the future, since there is an opening to install an LED sign inside above the windshield. Also, NextRide signs are being installed along each trolley route, so this could be a hint of the system being installed sometime in the future.

EDIT: I have attached an interior photo from another fan.

IMG_3030.jpg

A little more info on the Scottsdale Gilligs:

• The wheelchair ramp is at the front door, which is very surprising, since most Valley Metro buses have it at the rear door.

I thought this was one reason why Gillig didn't bid on Phoenix buses, since it couldn't get a waiver to the spec. Is Scottsdale Trolley really Valley Metro?

I thought this was one reason why Gillig didn't bid on Phoenix buses' date=' since it couldn't get a waiver to the spec. Is Scottsdale Trolley really Valley Metro?[/quote']

Yes, since they are listed on the Valley Metro website on the list of neighborhood circulator routes. Furthermore, these buses were ordered by the RPTA for the City of Scottsdale via the Florida Consortium contract.

UPDATE:

According to a report on SubChat's BusChat, the new Tempe and/or RPTA buses have been spotted on I-17 being delivered. They could be entering service within weeks. I wonder what differences will the 2013 models have. The Tempe-owned buses probably won't be much different from previous years, however, it will be interesting to see how will the RPTA-owned buses will be spec'd; the RPTA hasn't bought regular transit configuration buses for itself since the 2009 C40LFRs (the 2009 D60LFAs and 2010 D40LFAs are somewhat of a semi-suburban layout since the seats have headrests, and the 2012 RPTA-owned C40LFRs are a full suburban layout). I also wonder if they will have frameless windows.

• 2 weeks later...

This past week I've seen some RPTA (East Valley) buses doing express runs in the West Valley. I saw a 2012 suburban C40LFR S/B on I-17 and a 2007 D40LFR (6456 or 6459) S/B on the L-101 Agua Fria. Is there a problem with Valu Trans? Are the Valu Trans buses being rehabbed? Or is this just some sort of rare occurrence.

More updates:

• Four new cutaway vans for the Downtown Mesa BUZZ will be entering service next week. They will be the Starcraft Allstar and will be gasoline fueled. Fleet numbers are 1585-1588.
  • The joint RPTA/Phoenix RFP for 40-foot and 60-foot buses is expected to open in early January.

EDIT :Added fleet numbers for BUZZ.

Edited by ABQ RIDE

This past week I've seen some RPTA (East Valley) buses doing express runs in the West Valley. I saw a 2012 suburban C40LFR S/B on I-17 and a 2007 D40LFR (6456 or 6459) S/B on the L-101 Agua Fria. Is there a problem with Valu Trans? Are the Valu Trans buses being rehabbed? Or is this just some sort of rare occurrence.

All suburban D40LFR 6458 and up are now with ValuTrans. 6457 is the only suburban D40LFR left in the East Valley and is now at Tempe. They were transferred over there during the summer.

6454 and 6456 were spotted on FLASH on separate occasions over the past couple weeks.

• 2 weeks later...
I saw 5021 on 17-McDowell this morning. It has white destination signs. Can't say I like the white paint scheme.

10 Tempe and 3 Phoenix NABIs at auction tomorrow.

A bit surprised that the new Phoenix buses haven't been renumbered to avoid conflict with the Scottsdale StarTrans trolleys. However, since the City of Scottsdale plans to get rid of the StarTrans trolleys and replace them with Gilligs, this isn't too much of an issue. FYI, a picture of 5001 has been posted on the Valley Metro Facebook page.

BTW, which particular Tempe NABIs are being auctioned off tomorrow? Are they the 1998 or 1999 35-LFWs, or does the auction also include some 2002 40-LFWs?

I never considered Scottsdale Connection as part of Valley Metro since it is not Prop. 400 funded. None of the buses carry VM logos, so I'm not sure that the Connection fleet is considered part of the VM fleet.

6168, 6175, 6177, 6178, 6179, 6180, 6192, 6200, 6204, 6207

I saw 6379 on Route 81 last weekend.

I never considered Scottsdale Connection as part of Valley Metro since it is not Prop. 400 funded. None of the buses carry VM logos, so I'm not sure that the Connection fleet is considered part of the VM fleet.

6168, 6175, 6177, 6178, 6179, 6180, 6192, 6200, 6204, 6207

I saw 6379 on Route 81 last weekend.

The Valley Metro website includes the Scottsdale Trolley routes (except for the seasonal Hospitality Trolleys) in its online schedules:

http://routes.valley...ute/1337?type=6

http://routes.valley...ute/1335?type=6

http://routes.valley...ute/1338?type=6

FYI, not all routes are funded by Proposition 400. Most of Tempe's original pre-unification routes were and still are funded by the city's local transit tax. The only pre-unification Tempe-operated routes funded by Proposition 400 include the 72, 77, 81, 108, and all Tempe-operated express routes. All pre-unification RPTA routes, including those with runs shifted to the Tempe garage after unification (30, 45, 61, 96, 104, 156, and most RPTA express routes), are funded by Proposition 400.

You are correct. Scottsdale, Tempe, and Phoenix use their own sales taxes to fund transit operations. Scottsdale was early to the game; I think Scottsdale Connection predates Valley Metro.

From the Valley Metro website: "In addition, a number of cities have adopted this regional identity into their fleet of vehicles." Remember that Tempe started out as "Bolt" with no Valley Metro brand. And Scottsdale continues to brand as Scottsdale Trolley. Not sure about how GUS brands. Even though schedules show up on the VM website, the services are branded separately. Just my thought.

FYI, I heard that once all 1998 NABI 40-LFWs are retired at the West Division, the rest of the C40LFRs will be going to the North Division. I heard that the South Division doesn't want any of the C40LFRs and has a strong preference for NABI buses over New Flyer buses.

A possible scenario could be that the 1999 NABI 40-LFWs (all of which are currently assigned to the North Division) get moved to South and the 2007 New Flyer D40LFs currently at the West Division get moved to the North Division. However, I don't know if there are enough 1999 NABI 40-LFWs to cover for all of the South Division's 1998 40-LFWs.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the deliveries seem to be moving along. I have read where the last 40 won't arrive until after July 1. But I seem to remember reading elsewhere that there will now be 160 rather than 120 buses, but I can't recall where I saw that.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us who don't know too much about it, here is a great little article on the 120 new C40LFRs that the City of Phoenix is putting into service. Thirty-two buses have been deployed since November, and the remainder are expected to begin operation by May of this year.

http://www.fleetsand...ity-of-phoenix/

There is a photo of #5001--a phenomenal bus to look at. Its been nice to have both Xcelsiors and LFRs being built --but the time of the LFR is going away.

PhoenixCNGbus-streetside-600x400.jpg

According to the article, it looks like it has been confirmed that the North Division will be the next to be getting the new C40LFRs. I guess the rumors about the South Division preferring to stick with the NABIs are true. I actually wonder how much impact this will have on the future joint RPTA/Phoenix procurement of new buses starting this year. The South Division probably won't be happy if New Flyer gets the contract again.

According to the article, it looks like it has been confirmed that the North Division will be the next to be getting the new C40LFRs. I guess the rumors about the South Division preferring to stick with the NABIs are true. I actually wonder how much impact this will have on the future joint RPTA/Phoenix procurement of new buses starting this year. The South Division probably won't be happy if New Flyer gets the contract again.

Actually just a matter of fueling facility logistics. The decision to go with CNG buses was a relatively recent one, so there was not time or money to upgrade all of the divisions' fuel systems before the buses arrived. All of the Phoenix divisions had small CNG systems capable of fueling cars, so all were in need of upgrades to handle a large CNG bus fleet. The West division has a newer, easily expandable CNG system so that was done first. The North division is being renovated and the CNG expansion is part of that work. The South division CNG project will be completed last. All three have significant LNG infrastructure which will continue to be used to store the LNG which will be used to produce CNG.

I saw 6739 on Chandler Blvd. just east of downtown Chandler over the weekend. The font is slightly different for the bus number from the older buses.

Strangely, the 156 rarely seems to get the green front Tempe-owned C40LFRs on weekdays; you typically only see them on that route on weekends. Most of the time, the Tempe-operated runs on the 156 use one of the RPTA-owned 2008 or 2009 C40LFRs. In fact, I more often see one of the Tempe-owned L40LFRs on the route on weekdays than I do one of the Tempe-owned C40LFRs.

My guess is that since the City of Tempe owns those buses, they prefer to assign their C40LFRs to routes that actually serve Tempe, which is why you see plenty of them on routes such as the 45 and 61 on weekdays, the latter often getting a DE60LFR at times. On weekends there are more of them available to use on other routes, which is probably why you see them more often on weekends on the 156 than you do on weekdays.

Speaking of this, I heard there are plans to move some of the runs on the 96 and 104 back to Mesa. Those routes are currently almost entirely out of Tempe (only four out of Mesa on each route on weekdays), and since those two routes are somewhat midway between the two facilities, it probably makes sense to even out the ratio of buses from both facilities on those routes.