SVG version of the 1976-1997 ETS logo

linster

Hi Everyone,

I´m Linster247, I´m new to the board, but I´ve been interested in transportation/transit planning for quite a while. I´ve planned out an Alternate Transit System so far, next is the schedules.

My contribution to-day is a vector version of the ETS Logo. I made this logo in inkscape based off of the remaining logo still @ Millgate. I drew the circles, and after cleaning up the nodes on the paths in the millgate picture, I imported the arrows, did a union of the paths, and voíla!

http://linster.moved.in/untitled folder/pac2_s.eps

http://linster.moved.in/untitled%20folder/pac2_s.svg

PS: Oop´d, I goofed on the Topic title. 76-97.

pac2.png

Hi Everyone,

I´m Linster247, I´m new to the board, but I´ve been interested in transportation/transit planning for quite a while. I´ve planned out an Alternate Transit System so far, next is the schedules.

My contribution to-day is a vector version of the ETS Logo. I made this logo in inkscape based off of the remaining logo still @ Millgate. I drew the circles, and after cleaning up the nodes on the paths in the millgate picture, I imported the arrows, did a union of the paths, and voíla!

http://linster.moved.in/untitled folder/pac2_s.eps

http://linster.moved.in/untitled%20folder/pac2_s.svg

PS: Oop´d, I goofed on the Topic title. 76-97.

Welcome aboard!

Yes, that logo at Millgate... Millgate had a fresh coat of paint applied a couple of years ago. I don't know if the painters had any direction on what to do with that logo, but oddly enough it was left intact. I suspect no one told them about it, so they assumed they shouldn't paint over it.

Could just be that ETS is neglecting south side facilities- Ferrier Garage still has it's old, pre 1997 Edmonton transit sign outside, despite every other facitlity being upgraded with newer signage since then. Hell, they spent money to paint the sign a few years ago!

I always thought the old logo had more class than Italics Bold Sans-serif; It´s timeless (either that, or it´s just the fishbowls :) )

PS:

So what did ETS do during Horizon 2000? Did they replace every single bus stop in the city with new route #´s? I´ve seen some pictures on your

site where the bus-stops only said ¨bus stop¨. I´m a bit young to remember the pre-Disaster2000 transit system ;) ( I have seen the old ride guides, though)

The old logo (ETS pacman) is beautiful, like the fishbowls.

Horizon 2000 was the implementation of new routes and schedules, a new look to the bus stop signs. I will let some of the others here make comments on Horizon 2000. I don't want to get my blood pressure up at this moment. I like your name for it, Disaster 2000. That's basically what it was. ETS is still trying to recover from that. Prior to the 'disaster', we had a nearly perfect system.

The old logo (ETS pacman) is beautiful, like the fishbowls.

Horizon 2000 was the implementation of new routes and schedules, a new look to the bus stop signs. I will let some of the others here make comments on Horizon 2000. I don't want to get my blood pressure up at this moment.

Oi, I know what you mean :) Horizon 2000 has wonderous Gems like the 150, which is unnessicarilly long ;) The community of Delwestgloraford (roughly) has had some thing-amabobbers with routes like 150 or 115 or possibly 180.

(Not a good idea to give away your home address on the net)

Delwestgloraford !!! That's a district in Wifiton. Wifiton is what they are going to rename Edmonton once it becomes 'wireless' :) (I'll hopefully be in Vancouver by then).

Sure is better than Genericurbia with route #´s ???, ???, and ???. :lol:;)

Does anyone know who originally designed the flying 'e'? It looks like it was designed by a professional, and not by the tech-school 'Computer Graphic Arts' dropout that did that inspired ETS thing.

It is an iconic logo in Edmonton's past and worked well as an identifier for transit for years until it was needlessly canned. Edmontonians had 20 years of experience with the logo, seeing it daily, and knowing it represented public transit. ETS could have re-branded the logo, not changed it.

Welcome, Linster. I'm surious to see your plans for the Alternate Transit System... For a logo, we can do better than ATS. :)

Could just be that ETS is neglecting south side facilities- Ferrier Garage still has it's old, pre 1997 Edmonton transit sign outside, despite every other facitlity being upgraded with newer signage since then. Hell, they spent money to paint the sign a few years ago!

*They* have been considering closing and moving Millgate off-and-on for a while, such as in the plans for the Mill Woods BRT/LRT route. One proposal was a park and ride/transit centre where the Whitemud Amusement Park is now at Whitemud and 75th St. I think that idea has fallen by the wayside and Milgate's shelter building and failing concrete will have to remain in service for the foreseeable future. Good ol' Millgate...a real treat in the winter, with it's passenger heating units that are mounted too high up, so the heat (which rises above the cold air, mind you) rises above the waiting passengers, who freeze below, and warms the roof of the building.

I've got the alternate tranist system on the front page of my website: http://linster.moved.in

The map is a kmz (or a kml), open it w/ google earth.

The pdf contains a route listing. The lines in the North End aren't very neat, but they still make sense.

It requires the constuction of several new transit centers :) Bonnie Doon, Calder, Lewis Estates, Leger, Windermere, and North (Near the northern edge of Ozerna)

That is an old version, though. Since then, I've reworked the terwilligar routes to work without a SWLRT. Unfortunately, the new routes have some wtf-ery in them :lol:;)