Cuts to transit!!!

MCIBUS

As soon as I get the money, I'm moving from here if nothing is done next election. I've had it with Ottawa. Now where to move, that is the question.

If I could choose a time period of Ottawa that I'd rather live in, I'd choose 1950's Ottawa, downtown looks so beautiful back then before the NCC uglified it. Also apparently in the median of Carling, they used to have some kind of fruit tree growing in it to make the road look beautiful, man has Ottawa ever screwed up big time.

Not to mention until May 1959 we still had streetcars running

It's the same story the world over, cities aren't run properly anymore, and this has been going on for over 30 years.

Maybe in Europe and Asia they have it right, but in North America it's very hard to find a good, decent city.

Toronto, New York, and other NE cities come close though.

This could turn into another thread, so I'll stop here, but if you can somehow watch the film "City Limits" from the NFB, it represents everything I believe in when it comes to cities (and their problems).

I'd really getting fed up of how stupid the populations of NA are becoming, we were so stupid to re-elect Harper, you can't plunge into economic turmoil, and expect to be safe, if you have a government that is so Conservative they don't want to spend any money at all on anything. The problem is, the only way to get out of tough economic times is TO SPEND MONEY! And since the population is scared to heck to spend money, and often rightfully so, it's up to governments to do it!

It's too bad that the Liberals didn't get it together and had such shawdy leadership, Canada needed to have a Liberal Gov't, even if it was just a minority one.

But Harper knows how to play and trick dumb kids; give them what they want (tax cuts) and they will shut up and vote for you, allowing you to pursue your own personal wishes, and those of your investors back in Oil Land.

I'm counting down the days until Harper gets out of office, the sooner the better, once that happens, we may actually get closer at moving into the 20th century.

• 4 weeks later...
Arrgh! I scanned the map and tried to attach it but my computer won't let me. GRRR! <_<

Anyway, it's from the dust jacket of the Ottawa Streetcars book published a few years ago.

Hey, I think I got this upload thingy working! :(

Anyway, here's the map from 1929. Streetcar lines are red and bus routes are green:

OER1929west.jpg

OER1929east.jpg

From what I'm understanding, the cuts have been shelved for this year. Who will bet the same cuts will be proposed in the next budget debate?

It wouldn't surprise me if they are. That is unless the economy turns around. The world is an absolute mess right now.