MR-63 sightings on Line 2 - Orange

SMS

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

OK guys I was on the orange line for most of the afternoon and I noticed no less than three MR63 sets on the line. Generally I never see more than 3 so it'd be cool to actually spot more... all this to show that there are enough MR63 reserves to spare on the green line, it's just the current signaling system that prevents us from offering even more frequent service.

95-120-108

99-87-59

15-117-19

Got on all three :P

OK guys I was on the orange line for most of the afternoon and I noticed no less than three MR63 sets on the line. Generally I never see more than 3 so it'd be cool to actually spot more... all this to show that there are enough MR63 reserves to spare on the green line, it's just the current signaling system that prevents us from offering even more frequent service.

95-120-108

99-87-59

15-117-19

Got on all three <_<

Problem is that we're not ordering enough to cover the replacement of the MR63's. I would rather have more frequent service than have more space to walk around in... But that's all for another discussion...

What if they were deadheads from Youville to Angrignon via Snowdon and Lionel-Groulx?

<_< He he! It's stupid if they did that when they can just shoot down via Cremazie to Berri... Anyway I would certainly like to ride Line 5 with a MR-63...

That would be something let me tell you. It may have happened back when rolling stock was not line segregated.

No, it's true. It was back in April, although I didn't think to mention it here.

I suppose this can be confirmed by contacting those responsible for line scheduling, or whatever they call it.

Glad I spotted something "unique"--if it qualifies as such. <_<

It couldn't have been in revenue service? That requires uncoupling the standard nine car set... and the MR-73s sure have a history of coupling/uncoupling to the point where on the blue line the STM said screw it, we're sticking with six cars all day all night all the time (and justifiably so).

It couldn't have been in revenue service? That requires uncoupling the standard nine car set... and the MR-73s sure have a history of coupling/uncoupling to the point where on the blue line the STM said screw it, we're sticking with six cars all day all night all the time (and justifiably so).

I have no idea what can and cannot be done regarding rolling stock, line switching, etc.

Surely there must be total flexibility when it comes to such things. Perhaps it is only more time-consuming to accomplish than the crews wish to handle and nothing more than that--sort of like emptying your entire garage in order to find that spare tire you buried under piles of junk.

Bottom line: get the info from someone who works down in the trenches underground.

I have no idea what can and cannot be done regarding rolling stock, line switching, etc.

Surely there must be total flexibility when it comes to such things. Perhaps it is only more time-consuming to accomplish than the crews wish to handle and nothing more than that--sort of like emptying your entire garage in order to find that spare tire you buried under piles of junk.

Bottom line: get the info from someone who works down in the trenches underground.

MR-63's can be uncoupled and coupled, for many years, there was regular 3, 6 and 9 car service in the metro, but after a while the MR-63's couldn't take the constant un/coupling, so they just provided full 9 car all the time.

If we would still be so innovative as to realize that we could provide better service late night and weekend by shortening trains and decreasing headways, it would be great, but everything falls to time, money and laziness.

At least they are experimenting with this on the yellow line.

In the case of the Blue Line it was usually one sole operator that performed all of the actions of switching, uncoupling and parking trains. I imagine now with the 6 car setup that they have an extra operator waiting to get in the back of the train, rather than make the driver walk the length of the train to switch tracks.

In the case of the Blue Line it was usually one sole operator that performed all of the actions of switching, uncoupling and parking trains. I imagine now with the 6 car setup that they have an extra operator waiting to get in the back of the train, rather than make the driver walk the length of the train to switch tracks.

It appears not to be the case, many times I have noticed no operator waiting to board.

Maybe at rush hour but off peak at St-Michel, forget it... impossible to see what's going on at Snowdon, unless you have a stopwatch or if you notice on the arrival platform if there are operators at either end or only one at the head end.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

has anyone seen the mr-63's on the orange line latley? I rode the entire length of the orange line today, and havnt spotted one trainset of MR-63's? Or will they be back in Sept when school starts? Also one more thing I noticed there arn't any short turn runs to Henri-Bourassa. Are they just suspended for the season and resume in Sept?

H-Bourassa short turns in AM rush only, there is one scheduled short turn in the PM that I know of thanks to an internal STM document passed my way.

I haven't seen MR-63s on the orange line all summer. Maybe this changes next week. The project with the renovation of the interior of MR-63 cars is not yet done. I believe that the project started in 2005 and should end by the end of this year. I don't think that a whole lot of metro cars are needed for the orange line for the summer board period. So maybe MR-63s are where they should be.

H-Bourassa short turns in AM rush only, there is one scheduled short turn in the PM that I know of thanks to an internal STM document passed my way.

I haven't seen MR-63s on the orange line all summer. Maybe this changes next week. The project with the renovation of the interior of MR-63 cars is not yet done. I believe that the project started in 2005 and should end by the end of this year. I don't think that a whole lot of metro cars are needed for the orange line for the summer board period. So maybe MR-63s are where they should be.

Since when?

Typo. (Those have been done long ago :lol:)