York Region Transit \ Viva

YRT-Guy

Maybe they should call it "Viva Blue Lite" (and spelled as Lite) instead. I kind of like that name. And does the Viva Blue "A" make all stops except Richmond Hill Centre?

Also, the Viva Green schedule, now that it's going to be adjusted beginning this summer, it will mess up my commute in the new school year due to connection problems and increased waiting time (for me, at least) ;)

Give either Enzo's post or YRT's service changes page a little read and you'll find out.

The YRT site says

New Viva blue “A” will operate five new morning rush hour and five new afternoon rush hour trips between Newmarket GO Bus Terminal and Finch GO Bus Terminal, bypassing Richmond Hill Centre Terminal.

And Enzo's post says the same thing.

New Viva blue “A” will operate five new morning rush hour and five new afternoon rush hour trips between Newmarket GO Bus Terminal and Finch GO Bus Terminal, bypassing Richmond Hill Centre Terminal.

Therefore, both of these statements said "bypassing Richmond Hill Centre" but didn't say anything about local stops. The conclusion is that I will not able to find out from these statements, as they are "nonexistent" in both statements. We cannot simply make assumptions based on that.

-------

But I guess, aside from the argument above, that Viva Blue "A" will make all local stops. They should really have something that skips the "relatively minor" stops along the line.

The YRT site says

Therefore, both of these statements said "bypassing Richmond Hill Centre" but didn't say anything about local stops. The conclusion is that I will not able to find out from these statements, as they are "nonexistent" in both statements. We cannot simply make assumptions based on that.

-------

But I guess, aside from the argument above, that Viva Blue "A" will make all local stops. They should really have something that skips the "relatively minor" stops along the line.

How about this.... when I am in on friday, I will give you a Definate answer.... But I did hear that there will be NO new destination sinage on the bus stating BLUE A.... so if that doesnt change by the 26th. that will be an interesting monday....

I went to Finch Stn this afternoon to see the YRT setup, a blue tent to the south (on the right, from the viewpoint of coming out of the TTC exit) of the Viva Blue stop, two people there, water bottles, maps (new ones) and bike pamphlets, as well as the latest rider newsletter.. I grabbed a bottle, a few maps, and a newsletter. I didnt take pictures, it was raining and I just didnt have time to mess around.

I went to Finch Stn this afternoon to see the YRT setup, a blue tent to the south (on the right, from the viewpoint of coming out of the TTC exit) of the Viva Blue stop, two people there, water bottles, maps (new ones) and bike pamphlets, as well as the latest rider newsletter.. I grabbed a bottle, a few maps, and a newsletter. I didnt take pictures, it was raining and I just didnt have time to mess around.

o... I was there too... I "detoured" to Finch Station today... to look at the setup, get a bottle, and also test-ride 301 (I haven't been on 301 before). Anyhow, I got a bottle, and there were like four people (I think there was)... one of them is taking a picture for everyone who got a bottle... ;)

The YRT site says

Therefore, one can deduce and assume Blue A will serve every stop except Richmond Hill Centre. Something as important as bypassed stops will be listed. If there was to be a Blue B serving Newmarket, Wellington, Bernard, 16th-Carrville, Richmond Hill Centre, and Finch, the note would say "New Viva Blue "B" branch servicing a, b, c, and d stops only." However, I totally understand the point you are trying to get across.

On another note, bypassing Richmond Hill Centre would save...10 minutes at most?

Therefore, one can deduce and assume Blue A will serve every stop except Richmond Hill Centre. Something as important as bypassed stops will be listed. If there was to be a Blue B serving Newmarket, Wellington, Bernard, 16th-Carrville, Richmond Hill Centre, and Finch, the note would say "New Viva Blue "B" branch servicing a, b, c, and d stops only." However, I totally understand the point you are trying to get across.

On another note, bypassing Richmond Hill Centre would save...10 minutes at most?

That doesn't make any sense. Did they mean will be bypassing all stops EXCEPT Richmondhill Centre?

BTW how is the new 90D doing? Isnt the 30 min frequency worse than what the TTC was doing? And now that they look around Fairview Mall drive it must take longer during rush hour, making the service worse than it was when it was served by the TTC.

That doesn't make any sense. Did they mean will be bypassing all stops EXCEPT Richmondhill Centre?

BTW how is the new 90D doing? Isnt the 30 min frequency worse than what the TTC was doing? And now that they look around Fairview Mall drive it must take longer during rush hour, making the service worse than it was when it was served by the TTC.

I think he meant "serving all stops EXCEPT Richmond Hill Centre".

And I think you meant 90B. Yes, the frequency is worse. It used to be ~17 minutes during rush hours on the 25D. But they'll be improving the frequency to 20 minutes as opposed to the current 30 minutes beginning from the end of June.

No, they are bypassing ONLY Richmond Hill Centre.

Depends on what you mean by worse. It's better for me now that I don't have to wait as long for a southbound YRT bus on most of Leslie/Don Mills without paying the double fare. The loop around Fairview Mall isn't terribly long, but if it saves me $3, I'll do it.

The summer issue of MyTransit is out. Inside, there is information about rider consideration, run time committee, Viva blue "A", vivaNext updates, new street furniture design, and route 520/521 extension. Bike N' Bus pamphlets are also released.

Also, construction at the Yonge Street entrance to the Finch GO Bus Terminal has forced buses to enter via Yonge and Bishop. Buses are still exiting via the regular exit.

This morning, a traffic light malfunction at the Richmond Hill Centre Terminal access lane and the Highway 7-Yonge connector caused buses to wait about 10 minutes before the light changed. Rather, the buses did not wait, but they just started running the red light when it was safe. The lights were seen flashing red later in the day with a police officer directing traffic. This was fixed around 10:30am.

Finally, Presto was at Richmond Hill Centre today testing their card and demonstrating to customers, while also taking feedback. I tested the machine and found flaws such as displaying too much information on the screen in a short amount of time.

prestotest-yrt.jpg

they could locate it to Platform 8 (Route 2 platform) as with the changes last board there is no Route 2 at 4:30

That's right, already happen for the 303 on 1720.

York Region Transit. Enough said.

Where the guys plan and don't know what to do, hell, the communication between contractors and head office is far, far apart!

Finally, Presto was at Richmond Hill Centre today testing their card and demonstrating to customers, while also taking feedback. I tested the machine and found flaws such as displaying too much information on the screen in a short amount of time.

Yeah, it's also that it won't be perfect machine when it rolls out but at least far better than deal with this ticket where I can't see the dinky writing to nothing that's printed out, should be reducing it.

I would like to see how YRT will deal this different types of fares on the Presto machine, eg. regular fares and express fares setup.

Yeah, it's also that it won't be perfect machine when it rolls out but at least far better than deal with this ticket where I can't see the dinky writing to nothing that's printed out, should be reducing it.

I would like to see how YRT will deal this different types of fares on the Presto machine, eg. regular fares and express fares setup.

While testing it out today, there were buttons for two zones, but I do wonder what will happen with express vs. regular fares...

While testing it out today, there were buttons for two zones, but I do wonder what will happen with express vs. regular fares...

I wouldn't be suprised if Presto is programmed to charge the appropriate fare based on the route the bus is on, either automatically based on YRT's GPS or manually entered when the driver logs on.

I'm pretty certain (99.9%) that Viva Blue "A" will serve all stops MINUS Richmond Hill Centre. Remember, this is to replace the Newmarket "B" service, which serves all the Viva stops, and more.

I don't get what's the point of implementing Viva Blue "A" then. I mean, it doesn't save that much time by-passing Richmond Hill Centre. And besides, the Newmarket "B" Service reaches York Mills GO Bus Terminal. YRT should implement those drop-off and pick-up only stops for Viva Blue "A" to York Mills GO Bus Terminal to really replace the Newmarket B Service.

---

And a quick idea based on what I said above. Since 165 goes to York Mills Station anyways, why not make York Mills Station into something like Finch Station (i.e. a GO bus terminal with YRT connections). We can connect Viva Blue "A", 88+, etc. etc.

Just a random idea popped up, not sure if it'll be valid since it's sort of redundant to the Finch GO Bus Terminal on a second thought. :blink:

I don't get what's the point of implementing Viva Blue "A" then. I mean, it doesn't save that much time by-passing Richmond Hill Centre. And besides, the Newmarket "B" Service reaches York Mills GO Bus Terminal. YRT should implement those drop-off and pick-up only stops for Viva Blue "A" to York Mills GO Bus Terminal to really replace the Newmarket B Service.

---

And a quick idea based on what I said above. Since 165 goes to York Mills Station anyways, why not make York Mills Station into something like Finch Station (i.e. a GO bus terminal with YRT connections). We can connect Viva Blue "A", 88+, etc. etc.

Just a random idea popped up, not sure if it'll be valid since it's sort of redundant to the Finch GO Bus Terminal on a second thought. :blink:

Then why not make the 129A single fare all the way to Markville Mall? Or the 160 to Promenade?

GO is inter-regional, serving the GTA, YRT is regional, serving York Region. Would the TTC appreciate York Region Transit taking riders down to York Mills, and potentially lose many fare paying passengers whilst squeezing more buses into the terminal? Would Yonge Street appreciate the extra buses going down to York Mills?

I don't get what's the point of implementing Viva Blue "A" then. I mean, it doesn't save that much time by-passing Richmond Hill Centre.

To make the Newmarket "B" riders happy. It gives them the illusion that the "A" is more like the GO Transit ride than the regular Blue ride, while all it will do is, at most, cut 2 minutes off the ride.

To make the Newmarket "B" riders happy. It gives them the illusion that the "A" is more like the GO Transit ride than the regular Blue ride, while all it will do is, at most, cut 2 minutes off the ride.

I think it would make sense to do it this way:

Local to Bernard Terminal, Express to RHT, Express to Finch. That makes more sense.

It can actually cut up to 10 minutes. Think about, no left turn from Yonge, no left turn onto the access road, and no need to loop around the terminal and then line up to exit the terminal, access road, and then turn back onto Yonge.

It can actually cut up to 10 minutes. Think about, no left turn from Yonge, no left turn onto the access road, and no need to loop around the terminal and then line up to exit the terminal, access road, and then turn back onto Yonge.

i dunno about that... they are so far giving this BLUE "A" service 60 minutes to get to finch from Newmarket GO.... Regular BLUE gets 65....

(me personally, i can go from yonge st, into the terminal, and back out within 3 minutes, at rush hour....)