STM 11-xxx Watch

6/20/08

• 11-087 as Hors-Service near Cremazie Metro at ~7h45
  • 11-008 doing 460 Eastbound at Dorval station at ~17h35
  • 11-087 doing 460 Eastbound at Dorval station at 17h52 (got on it)

Well, 11-087 got repainted so no more blue stripe with white numbers. What is odd though that they still kept the MCI logo! They also added the Biobus lettering on the rear bumper too. I believe this bus is now a Legendre bus but Im not sure.

Both buses sound good and look good.

Happened to board 11-069 today just after 16:00 from Rosemont Metro.

By the way, does anyone remember what previously existed on that contruction site just east of this Metro station? I presume it was formerly designated industrial, but soon to be mixed residential with green space.

Happened to board 11-069 today just after 16:00 from Rosemont Metro.

By the way, does anyone remember what previously existed on that contruction site just east of this Metro station? I presume it was formerly designated industrial, but soon to be mixed residential with green space.

I believe it used to be a site for one of the City of Montreal public works outposts or something. I recall it being that several years ago.

That's entirely possible, seeing as the old incinerator is nearby as well.

And what about north of Henri Bourassa Metro, does anyone know about that excavation/construction site bordered by Gouin on the north and Millen on the east--that commercial site which included a company called Centre Demers or something similar just east of the STL bus garage?

Oddly, there's nothing indicating what is going to be built there. Condos are unlikely, since by now there would normally be large signs promoting their rental, but I could be wrong. I see a few actual foundations are being installed on the Millen side.

And, finally, what will become of the nearby STL bus garage itself? Wasn't this supposed to be closed down in favour of the newer, larger one in Laval, or is it still more convenient for them to keep some routes driving directly into Montreal--which would make sense.

That's entirely possible, seeing as the old incinerator is nearby as well.

And what about north of Henri Bourassa Metro, does anyone know about that excavation/construction site bordered by Gouin on the north and Millen on the east--that commercial site which included a company called Centre Demers or something similar just east of the STL bus garage?

Oddly, there's nothing indicating what is going to be built there. Condos are unlikely, since by now there would normally be large signs promoting their rental, but I could be wrong. I see a few actual foundations are being installed on the Millen side.

And, finally, what will become of the nearby STL bus garage itself? Wasn't this supposed to be closed down in favour of the newer, larger one in Laval, or is it still more convenient for them to keep some routes driving directly into Montreal--which would make sense.

All good questions. As far as I know, the only STL routes that still continue to go to Montreal are the 2, 31, 52, 55, and 252 at HB, and, the 144, 151, and 902 at CV, so that might be the reason why the STL bus garage still stands. With regards to your other questions, I have no idea. It really is anyone's guess as to what could be being built there. Condos seems like the most logical guess at this point.

All good questions. As far as I know, the only STL routes that still continue to go to Montreal are the 2, 31, 52, 55, and 252 at HB, and, the 144, 151, and 902 at CV, so that might be the reason why the STL bus garage still stands. With regards to your other questions, I have no idea. It really is anyone's guess as to what could be being built there. Condos seems like the most logical guess at this point.

Correction Mr Tranzit...no STL bus garage is located there, just a terminal...:(

They will continue to serve there, for respective reasons, two come from the middle of nowhere, so they deserve to connected directly to Montreal, another serves as a connection for Metropobes, and another is to provide service from Montreal to another part of Laval, interestingly enough, this route joins up with the CV routes.

Used to be a good ol' Steinburgh's...now vast emptyness...condos possible, they can put a sign up when they want, perhaps they don't have enough info to do so yet, or their strategy involves waiting for a while.

Pyerre offered a rumour when he worked at CT St Laurent that some STM buses would be shifted from the major south HB terminal to the north... at rush hour there is no layover space and certain stops are shared... a real mess... STM can benefit by sending a few routes there for sure!

Pyerre offered a rumour when he worked at CT St Laurent that some STM buses would be shifted from the major south HB terminal to the north... at rush hour there is no layover space and certain stops are shared... a real mess... STM can benefit by sending a few routes there for sure!

I'd say put the metrobuses there if anything.

Correction Mr Tranzit...no STL bus garage is located there, just a terminal...<_<

They will continue to serve there, for respective reasons, two come from the middle of nowhere, so they deserve to connected directly to Montreal, another serves as a connection for Metropobes, and another is to provide service from Montreal to another part of Laval, interestingly enough, this route joins up with the CV routes.

Used to be a good ol' Steinburgh's...now vast emptyness...condos possible, they can put a sign up when they want, perhaps they don't have enough info to do so yet, or their strategy involves waiting for a while.

Yes, I meant "terminal". Certainly a forlorn-looking place to what it used to be.

Steinberg's, eh? I would have expected a Metro Supermarket or IGA to replace it--as is usually the case. What was that former Demers complex anyway?

Somehow I doubt the local residents would approve of the enormous traffic problems which would occur if condos were zoned for that block, despite its convenience to the H.B. Metro. Remember how they complained and took the gov't to court (and belatedly won their case!) regarding the nearby Metro extension excavation site?

I used to like eating those dark French-fires and steamies at that greasy-spoon Lesage restaurant next to that Coppi cycle shop, but it closed last year. :(

Burp!...okay, and now for some historical trivia: (drum roll!) how many of you realize that Millen Avenue used to be a tram right-of-way before it ever became a paved street? The old route 24 used to run north off of Cremazie and then up to Henri Bourassa (then called Perras) behind houses which still exist on Millen.

You will note how Millen today from its lower end is unusually wide and with a very narrow and basically functionless median. At the top end, the tram line then ran east down the centre of what is now Henri Bourassa, thus its unusually wide arrangement.

See: http://www.stm.info/English/en-bref/tramwa...n/S611134_1.htm

http://www.stm.info/English/en-bref/tramwa.../S611134_11.htm

http://www.stm.info/English/en-bref/tramwa.../S611134_12.htm

And, for researchers, this will be of interest as well: http://www.stm.info/English/en-bref/Histoire_Youville_a.pdf

A very interesting historical tidbit. Thanks, Tranzit! Much appreciated. I honestly had no idea that Millen used to be a streetcar right-of-way. Wow, you learn something new every day :mellow: .

Back to the 11-0XX sightings, my day was full of 'em. First of all, my morning 161 was provided by 11-067. I have to say, that bus is in fantastic condition. Not a single window scratch or grafitti tag anywhere. It sounded great as well. Needless to say, this is one very well-maintained bus. The next 11 I saw was 11-014 on the 55 at the corner of Mount Royal and Saint Urbain. Finally, I had a great ride on the 535 on the way home, courtesy of 11-069. Despite a few grafitti tags and window scratches in the back, this too is a very well-maintained bus. Kudos to the people at CT St. Denis for keeping these "old warriors" in great shape.

And don't worry, I got pictures of all three of them :P . I'll be uploading them to my new gallery on Mystic's site shortly.

Glad you liked the "historical tidbits".

There were, of course, other such rights-of-way for tramlines in the Montreal area, most notably down the centre of Decarie Blvd. between Queen Mary Rd., past Garland Terminus, and then over an exclusive overpass over the CPR tracks south of Blue Bonnets race track, where the lines then veered into Decarie itself to level-cross the CNR railway tracks.

That oddly wide section of Edouard-Laurin west of Decarie was also where tram 17 swerved westward and then continued north along the west side of Grenet all the way to Cartierville. Now you know why Grenet is so wide. Photos can be found in old copies of Canadian Rail in Montreal's libraries.

Then there was the exclusive tram road running between Cote St. Luc and Queen Mary Road just west of Earnscliffe, which later became an exclusive bus road and then more recently, finally closed completely to end up as little parks and extended backyards for the existing residences there.

I have fond memories of riding my bike and walking along that prosaic road until the very last days when it was closed off for good.

My 92 was provided by 11-088 today, and at Jean-Talon & Cote-des-Neiges, 11-065 passed by on the 535.

11-088 is one of the few 11s that still has a white fleet number on the front blue stripe, which was cool, so naturally, I had to get a photo, which I did :rolleyes:. It'll be posted in my gallery on Mystic's site later on.

2008-06-25

- 11-087 on the 69 around 11h45, EB near Lacordaire

- 11-014 still on the 69 (chauffeur en formation with passengers) around 13h20 WB near Lacordaire also

11-014, like 11-013, is travelling a lot. Supposed to be an Anjou bus, but has been on Mont-Royal and Legendre routes lately. 11-013 seems to travel on Frontenac and LaSalle routes...

That does not leave many 11s at Anjou !

2008-06-25

- 11-087 on the 69 around 11h45, EB near Lacordaire

- 11-014 still on the 69 (chauffeur en formation with passengers) around 13h20 WB near Lacordaire also

11-014, like 11-013, is travelling a lot. Supposed to be an Anjou bus, but has been on Mont-Royal and Legendre routes lately. 11-013 seems to travel on Frontenac and LaSalle routes...

That does not leave many 11s at Anjou !

Yes, that's very true. For example, last week, I saw 11-014 on the 55, which I believe must be a Legendre route. Got a good picture of it too.