Transit Detour/Delay Thread

David D.

FYI, the 24 detour is over, probably been a while but just to let you know.

Anyways since this is a related topic, here's an article about the current bus shortages: http://tinyurl.com/f3948 The culprit, in part? First gen LFS!

I picked up a pamphlet regarding this, so if anyone wants to see it I can scan it. BTW the bus driver's union logo has a fishbowl and a MR-63 with the old paint scheme.

Nobody mentioned it in this thread, but the green line was down for a bit due to the shooting at Dawson college in which Atwater metro is located right under the college. The metro is not making any stops at Atwater metro and probably won't until tomorrow as the ongoing police investigation continues at Dawson.

Nobody mentioned it in this thread, but the green line was down for a bit due to the shooting at Dawson college in which Atwater metro is located right under the college. The metro is not making any stops at Atwater metro and probably won't until tomorrow as the ongoing police investigation continues at Dawson.

Atwater was reopened this evening at around 9h30 or 10pm. According to CJAD and the STM site.

I got tied up in that yesterday comming from Angrignon tring to get to Atwater, I only knew of a shooting but no idea that it happened at Dawson. At L-G STM security were telling people to get off the trains and to walk or use the orange line to get to where they wanted to go. That was when I saw at the end of the platform that SP was lit up above the signals. That means the switchs were being used. Then I went somewhere else and came back to L-G at 5pm, but by then the green line was opened up but no stopping at Atwater, it was the same procedure from what they did at Papineau and Frontenac.

Another slowdown today, I was going to Angrignon and when we were at Monk the power got shut off, it was due to something on the tracks. It lasted for 5 mins.

Be advised that due to the installation of new pipes under Queen Mary Road between St. Joseph's Oratory and Victoria avenue, traffic is horrendous most of the day, and impossible at rush hour. :angry:

Routes 51 and 166 are affected, with some confusing detours around side streets.

Best to avoid this mess and use the Metro.

Here is a huge Detour that is in affect on the 506 and 113 WB's during rush hour only. Due to Newman boulevard being repaved on one side (WB) between Airlie and 90th Avenue currently, traffic during rush hour is like a nightmare as there is only one lane WB due to it being impossible to make two. Therefore after suffering last thursday and the 506's route taking double the time it usually takes to do the route (and because of an accident on the Mercier bridge), the STM decided to put in place the detour as of last Friday and so far continuing.

This detour is quite UNIQUE in that is obliged that the STM set up a SPECIAL bus just to do a circle and provide backwards service to 506 customers on 90th ave. and Centrale and Airlie st's starting at the monette-lafleur terminus and providing SPECIAL service to the areas that can not be served by the 106/506 WB during rush hour.

The detour for the 506 WB is as follows: Via Newman, right on Dollard, left of Laplante (very difficult turns for classics to make, bus must reverse into traffic on Dollard which created quite a chaotic scene), right on Jean-Milot, left on Lafleur straight to the Terminus.

The 113 Detour is as follows: Via Dollard, no turning on Newman, left on LaPlante st. (difficult turn), right on Jean-Milot, then reg route.

And here is the route of the SPECIAL bus put into place starting at ML terminus: Via Monette, left on Lafleur, right on Centrale, left on 90th avenue, left on Airlie, left on Lafleur, enter terminus, then repeated over and over again picking up 506 customers. IT was quite a scene to see a line up which u usually never find at the Terminus and only at Angrignon of 20-40 ppl lining up.

Now as for CITSO it hasnt been detoured as far as i know, but i have seen the bus suffering in the traffic on Newman and waisting lots of precious time the CITSO buses need in order to return to ANG for their next departure. IT might be a smart idea if they were to follow the STM buses in this case.

Now the detour for the 506 and 113 is mostly clear sailing except on Dollard where Dollard has been receiving alot of extra traffic the last few days and the light to turn onto Laplante only stays green if ur lucky for 5 seconds!! and afterwards its a straight only, this make it only possible for one bus to turn at a time every 2-3mins which is prettty bad. Also the turning lane for Laplante st. is not designed for this much traffic and is only the length of a bus or a car after it at the most! So about 40-50 feet.

Now as for CITSO it hasnt been detoured as far as i know, but i have seen the bus suffering in the traffic on Newman and waisting lots of precious time the CITSO buses need in order to return to ANG for their next departure. IT might be a smart idea if they were to follow the STM buses in this case.

CITSO's detour is as follows:

After exiting the Mercier bridge the instead of turning on Labatt, continues to 90th Avenue and turns left, and then right on Newman and proceeds as normal.

To return in the evening, the route is as normal, however the proposed and experimented detour was to turn right off Newman onto Dollard, and then turning onto Lafleur and continuing straight until Newman/Airlie, and then onto the reserved lane towards the Mercier bridge, and proceeding as normal afterwards.

Green line slow down late this afternoon in the Honore-Beaugrand direction due to an ambulance intervention. One train was being held at Atwater for a long time and Guy's platform was getting very very crowded. As well as L-G's and i McGill was crowded before the slowdown occured so i could only imagine after the 7-10mins it took for the metro at Atwater to get there.

This caused no problems for the most part in the Angrignon direction but began to cause congestion as we were held for awhile and Jolicoeur and Monk as Angrignon's track switching was backed up and took time to clear each train. Basically once the train left Monk in the HB direction the next at ANG would leave right away so then the one in tunnel could switch and the one that arrived could finally leave to begin switching, all in all takes 2-3mins each time.

I also should mention that apparently afterwards, while two of my friends were on the metro at Monk station around 18h25, someone on the metro fainted and fell on the floor. Then some guy pulled the emergency brake and the driver came to check it out but the girl woke up and said she was fine. But she was totally messed up and apparently was a diabetic who refused to take her insulin and doesnt think she needs it. She also would not sit down when ppl tried to get her to sit and relax. She wanted only to stand up, so the driver was like well wtv.... and just went back and continued on to Angrignon. This probably added to the delay before and probably delayed the train by 8-10mins.

I also should mention that apparently afterwards, while two of my friends were on the metro at Monk station around 18h25, someone on the metro fainted and fell on the floor. Then some guy pulled the emergency brake and the driver came to check it out but the girl woke up and said she was fine. But she was totally messed up and apparently was a diabetic who refused to take her insulin and doesnt think she needs it. She also would not sit down when ppl tried to get her to sit and relax. She wanted only to stand up, so the driver was like well wtv.... and just went back and continued on to Angrignon. This probably added to the delay before and probably delayed the train by 8-10mins.

One of the things people (i.e. drivers?) need to know about situations like this is that if a person who is diabetic is especially low, they might not really realize it, and insist they are fine, etc. when really, they aren't, and everyone around them can tell that much. Everyone reacts differently to this of course, but simply "giving up" when you know that much history mght not be the best idea ...

The problem, too, if she was low (which tends to have more dramatic effects like this than being 'high' unless one is extremely off the scales) is that is isn't *insulin* that is needed, but *sugar*, which might explain her not wanting to take any.

Obviously, you can only do so much if someone really refuses any help, this can sometimes be one of those situations where a bit of forced help is needed.

There was a metro interuption on the green line today between atleast 4:30 to 5:30. It was shutdown between Berri and Angrignon. At about 5:20 the line returned to normal except that no trains were stopping at Charlevoix. From what I read from the MdM it could of been a 900-04, or a suicide @ Charlevoix.

There was a metro interuption on the green line today between atleast 4:30 to 5:30. It was shutdown between Berri and Angrignon. At about 5:20 the line returned to normal except that no trains were stopping at Charlevoix. From what I read from the MdM it could of been a 900-04, or a suicide @ Charlevoix.

Waaay before 16h30!!

I was at ANG the min it happened, which was at 15h50-55 or so and i actually got to ANG way before that but i was sitting on the seats at the platform text msg'in my sister over and over about the details of where i was going to meet her and her BF etc etc and then this happened 10-15mins later. But i was thinking about going to LG first to do some bus fanning right away but i decided not to, if i would have i probably would have been on that exact metro that it happened to if my timeing i did in my head was correct. It was a Suicide at Charlevoix, and a very bad one at that. There were two Suicides in the metro today, the other was at 11h30am a operator told me. It was really one hell of a day today.

I was trying to get to Jolicoeur to meet my sister and then make my way to Berri-UQAM to the Photo ART place so her bf could get his ID. Then this happened like i said while i was at ANG, immidiately the message stated that the service would be out from ANG To Berri till at least 16h40. So everyone left the metro at 16h02 and got in line for the 37 bus which was suppose to come at 16h14, but it was massively late of course due to all added clientele lol. The 78 and 36 were missed so the line for the 37 was its entire lenth so at least 120 feet long!!

At 16h14 the bus was still a no show so i saw that 25-243 was about do the the SPS service so everyone started going there to get on it. So we got to do the whole Green line on 25-243 from ANG to LG where I and practically everyone else got off.... While at Charlevoix there was an ambulance and tons of STM metro cop vans and a few real cops. Everyone at Charlevoix was forced to leave the station tho im sure most did so on their own after what they witnessed. There was a bunch of ppl near the entrance that were being questioned and treated/talked to by police. The rest were all in massive line ups for the SPS service and the 107. Lasalle metro station had a classic doing SPS service toward ANG but i couldnt see which bus.

When we got to LG the whole station was packed with ppl waiting for the green line. this was at exactly 5pm! and there had been no metro now for well over a full hour.. I took the orange line to Berri-UQAM but of course didnt make it on time for the 5pm closing of the Photo ART place.

Once at Berri-UQAM the ANG platform was empty cause service had just been restarted but the HB platform on the green line was full to the max! Not a single space left untaken! And the metro's going toward HB were crushloaded and the service dont forget was still running one or two 7min intervals cause not all the trains even finished coming out of ANG garage yet before it happened! They were only starting to when i was at ANG an hour and a half before. The train going to ANG was crushloaded every stop and the HB direction was beyond tht word. There is simply no word to describe the overcrowding of the metro on the green line in the HB Direction, every platform was FULL FULL FULL and ppl standing on the stairs at McGill and PDA who hadnt even gotten to the platform yet before the backlog begins!

Once at LG the driver announced that there was no stopping at Charlevoix, we passed through charlevoix at quite a fast speed!!!!!! AND i saw two janitors with a mop and bucket and then the horrible happened a couple of seconds after.... I SMELLED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! I SMELLED THE BLEECH! WHICH SORTA MADE ME A LITTLE SICK KNOWING WHAT WAS UNDER THE TRAIN AND WHAT IT WAS USED TO CLEAN UP!!!!!! (Some people that know me might know that i REALLY HATE BLOOD!) Despise it and get sick and week from smelling or seeing it, and that inludes the Javal or bleech or wtv that i smelled while passing through. Maybe there was still somthing on the track under us since i found it strange how fast the driver was going maybe he didnt look down and didnt want to see a puddle or wet stain or sand or wtv they put down there.

Well on a lighter note, it was quite interesting of an experience to be going through Ville-Emard and Verdun and Point-Saint-Charles at rush hour like the old days before the metro and seeing the 107, 36, 37, 58, and 108, and our SPS service ALLL CRUSHLOADED TO THE MAX so that was interesting lol.

Once at LG the driver announced that there was no stopping at Charlevoix, we passed through charlevoix at quite a fast speed!!!!!! AND i saw two janitors with a mop and bucket and then the horrible happened a couple of seconds after.... Maybe there was still somthing on the track under us since i found it strange how fast the driver was going maybe he didnt look down and didnt want to see a puddle or wet stain or sand or wtv they put down there.

If there was anything to see, they might've wanted trains getting through there as quickly as possible so that passengers wouldn't be so alarmed... either way, this ended up being a royal PITA, and while I empathize with the family involved, I can't help but be a tad annoyed at people's tactics. But I digress.

It's just very hard to deal with crushloaded busses and metros when you have a guide dog with you as well, because we take up that much more room, and nobody is looking (or particularly caring) if they knock the four-legged half around, just so long as THEY get to where they're going... :o

• 2 weeks later...

55 detour (still) in effect northbound between Rene-Levesque and Sherbrooke (uses Jeanne-Mance, stopping at Place-des-Arts station 129 stop) due to road cosntruction narrowing lanes on Saint-Laurent between Rene-Levesque and at least de Maisonneuve.

As well, the 51 is still on detour, but at rush hour, between Lemieux and possibly Cote-des-Neiges. The westbound detour road is Edouard-Montpetit. I haven't rode it to confirm, unlike the 55 which I did yesterday. You can tell by the temp bus stop flags in orange.

• 3 weeks later...

144 Eastbound Detour. South on Peel, West on Sherbrooke, North on University. There is a lane reduction on Docteur-Penfield at Pins causing major congestion and this used to severely affect the running time and cause major delays. This is a very good and useful detour... too bad it's out of the way.

I never mentionned this as of yet but there been a detour on the 110/350 for quite some time now because of the total repaving and brand new sewer system on 66th Avenue (or 65th cant remember) and its on the STM site when u punch in any 110/350 bus stop code. I'll just quote them:

Because of road works, some bus stops have been relocated on that line. From the 68th Avenue, to Latour Road, busses run along La Salle Boulevard.

MAJOR DISRUPTION ON THE GREEN LINE, or atleast that's waht I was told.

It started around 7:45 - 8am. Between Angrignon and Lionel-Groulx due to smoke in the tunnels! It disruped most peoples way in to downtown today including some of my friends. They arrived at school at 10:30 instead of 8.

Around 8 or so the doors to the metro stations were locked and I guess the fans were turned on to full speed to get the smoke out. I didn't hear of any SPS service but there had to be!

It started around 7:45 - 8am. Between Angrignon and Lionel-Groulx due to smoke in the tunnels! It disruped most peoples way in to downtown today including some of my friends. They arrived at school at 10:30 instead of 8.

Around 8 or so the doors to the metro stations were locked and I guess the fans were turned on to full speed to get the smoke out. I didn't hear of any SPS service but there had to be!

I used the Green Line around 10:30 am between LGX and ANG, and everything was A-OK at that point. Must of just missed it, but I didn't hear any annoucments on the Orange Line as I rode toward LGX.

The CB radio on the buses this morning was calling for SPS, so there was.

Well looks like i missed this event.

Keep in mind somtimes they DON'T broadcast the message on the loud speaker inside the MR73s if the problem is on the green line and vise versa for the MR63s. Sometimes if there's a problem on the green its only mentionned on the Telecite screens for the other lines. Though the message is broadcasted throughout the system on the station speakers at all times from what i've seen. Now if today's circumstances was due to smoke in the metro, well that can be scary for some people so that can be a good example of what they might choose not to put over the other line's metro car speakers. But from what i seen its pretty much always mentionned on the Telecite screens inside the cars though, unless there not working properly like there seems to be a good batch of these days lol.

This would have been a good test for the new camera system that is currently 80% or so up and running according to the news the other day. But of course the smoke in tunnels happened on the part of the metro system which happens to be the what i believe to be the last part of the metro system to be getting the new camera system. What luck eh lol.

Its also the part of the metro system which probably has the most such smoke in tunnel events, it happened so many times in this part of the network that there must be something wrong there with the cableing or wireing.