Ways to avoid zone charge

I have been thinking about ways to avoid zone charges. Riding in the evening or weekends and holidays are obviously a way to go, but I am also wondering about ways to cross zone boundaries by bus. Somehow it has been very hard.

Some ideas in my mind:

1. From 22nd Street to Downtown: Take the 100 to Marine Drive Station. Transfer to Canada Line (Save 1 zone)

2. From Metrotown to Downtown: Take the 49 to Langara-49th. Transfer to Canada Line (Save 1 zone)

3. From Surrey Central to Bridgeport: Take the 321 to South Surrey Park and Ride. Transfer to 351 (Save 2 zones)

4. From Burquitlam to Sperling-Burnaby Lake: Take the 143 to SFU. Transfer to 144 (Save 1 zone)

5. From Scotts Road to Richmond-Brighouse: Take 319 to Scottsdale Exchange. Transfer to 301 (Save 2 Zones)

Are there anymore that would not take a crazy amount of time, especially for travel from Richmond or Surrey?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 31410.1404911 said:

I have been thinking about ways to avoid zone charges. Riding in the evening or weekends and holidays are obviously a way to go, but I am also wondering about ways to cross zone boundaries by bus. Somehow it has been very hard.

Some ideas in my mind:

1. From 22nd Street to Downtown: Take the 100 to Marine Drive Station. Transfer to Canada Line (Save 1 zone)

2. From Metrotown to Downtown: Take the 49 to Langara-49th. Transfer to Canada Line (Save 1 zone)

3. From Surrey Central to Bridgeport: Take the 321 to South Surrey Park and Ride. Transfer to 351 (Save 2 zones)

4. From Burquitlam to Sperling-Burnaby Lake: Take the 143 to SFU. Transfer to 144 (Save 1 zone)

5. From Scotts Road to Richmond-Brighouse: Take 319 to Scottsdale Exchange. Transfer to 301 (Save 2 Zones)

Are there anymore that would not take a crazy amount of time, especially for travel from Richmond or Surrey?

Yes buses do exist...I mean some of what you mentioned, like Scott Road to Richmond, is just the logical routing to begin with. Idk why you'd take the 49 and Canada line from Metrotown when there's the 19 straight downtown. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2102 said:

Yes buses do exist...I mean some of what you mentioned, like Scott Road to Richmond, is just the logical routing to begin with. Idk why you'd take the 49 and Canada line from Metrotown when there's the 19 straight downtown. 

Well maybe the last 5 departures on the 19 didn’t show up, and they’re all stuck downtown!

In any case, just pointing out that it does happen

8 hours ago, 2102 said:

Seems like the 49 to the Canada Line may be 10 minutes faster than the 19?

I feel like the challenge is that usually neither taking exclusively buses nor taking buses just between the two stations closest to the zone boundary will be the fastest or the most convenient way.

On 2/25/2023 at 7:55 PM, Mr. Buzzer said:

It has been an unfair fare system since 1984. Abolish the present system. 

The earlier 2-zone system had a "common zone" where the 2 other zones overlapped. You could travel into and out of that zone on a one-zone fare.

On 2/28/2023 at 3:21 PM, Busmanic92 said:

Scott road to Vancouver

319 to Scottsdale, 340 to 22nd Street station, 100 to marine drive Canada line station, take the 3 to downtown

If the travel time on the first 3 legs exceeds 90 mins then keep in mind you will be paying two fares for the trip, and thus more than paying to go 3 zones on the train!

• Like 1

This is actually a common practice: from Coquitlam to anywhere, take the 169 to Braid or any bus to Lougheed, the transfer to SkyTrain... Then you will not be paying for zone 3.

Another one I can think of.. If your SkyTrain trip goes past 6:30pm, tap out and tap back in after 6:30pm and before zone change.  Peak/off-peak travel is determined by the tap-in time, so you may still be charged 3-zones if you tap-in at 6:20pm, even though all zone changes occurred after 6:30pm.