Sign in to follow this  
airwolf

Bolt Bus

Since Bolt Bus is a Greyhound Lines Inc subsidiary, I figured this was the best place to start a Bolt Bus topic. General discussion, spottings, photos, let's hear about it.

Well let's start with this. Bolt had one of their D4505's in Vancouver yesterday. I wish I had noticed it before heading out to Revelstoke on my run so I could get a photo of it. It was numbered 86344.

That was definitely the first D4505 I've seen out here. All we've seen up until this point was X3-45's. Numbers like 0860, 0862, 0863, 0864, and 0869 have shown up in Vancouver.

AFAIK, the 0860-series Prevosts were Northeast buses at one point, I rode 0863 one or twice on the Baltimore-NY run, back before it became Greenbelt-Baltimore-NY.

0862 was in Vancouver today. It looked like she was being serviced for either a 19:00 south bound or an early AM south bound. I'll start taking photos as I see these coaches and post them.

I believe the 0860-series of Prevost X3-45s was the set of coaches Bolt used to launch their initial service on the east coast. After a few years of running the tires off them on Boston-NY-Boston round trips (done with one driver, 525 miles per day) they were moved out west to launch this service which is somewhat less intensive than the northeast corridor.

Also note that Bolt used some MCI D4500s from Peter Pan to supplement the coaches bought for the service. Those MCIs were much older than those Prevosts....

0870 was in Vancouver this morning. I couldn't get a decent angle for a photo though. Maybe when I get back this evening, I'll have better luck.

I believe the 0860-series of Prevost X3-45s was the set of coaches Bolt used to launch their initial service on the east coast. After a few years of running the tires off them on Boston-NY-Boston round trips (done with one driver, 525 miles per day) they were moved out west to launch this service which is somewhat less intensive than the northeast corridor.

Also note that Bolt used some MCI D4500s from Peter Pan to supplement the coaches bought for the service. Those MCIs were much older than those Prevosts....

Bolt Bus Boston-NYC-DC route uses 50% GHL provided X3-45's and 50% Peter Pan provided D4500's as its a joint venture in that route.

Here are a couple of photos I caught of 0867 in Bay # 4 at Pacific Central Station in Vancouver BC yesterday morning. She was preparing to board the 6:30am departure to Seattle.

DSCF0953.JPG

DSCF0952.JPG

So I got to play around on a Bolt yesterday. The company decided that I needed to be trained to drive a Prevost of any kind before they would assign me to one for a trip, despite my having driven Prevosts in my past life at CBL. I got to drive 0867. She was a surprisingly comfortable coach. Lots of power to go down the road. And she can turn sharper than anything I've driven in the Greyhound fleet. I only wish I had thought to snap interior photos when I was done.

So I find myself at the Seattle WA Horizon Coachlines/Greyhound Maintainance facility right now waiting for the next schedule to Vancouver. I was surprised to find another Bolt MCI D4505 in the ready line. She carries the number 0888. I'm told there are three more coming. I'm also told she has a Cummins in the back, and I can confirm an Allison World B500R tranny. I'll post a couple of photos when I get to Vancouver.

I logged into this section of the forum to report the arrival of 0888 to Seattle ... airwolf beat me to it. Bolt has expanded their PNW schedules with service to Eugene OR and need more coaches to support this service.

0887 found her way to Vancouver in the last day or two. Here are some photos I shot yesterday at Pacific Central Station while she awaited her next southbound run.

DSCF1271.JPG

DSCF1272.JPG

DSCF1273.JPG

More news... boarded a New MCI D4505 from Seattle to Vancouver last weekend... but it was not in the 08xx series. This coach had the number '86344' as is seen on the brand new Greyhound MCIs. :/

Was a little perplexed about that number.

As previously discussed in this thread .... 86344 was delivered as a blue Greyhound unit and was repainted as Bolt when transferred to Seattle for Bolt service. It is actually a couple of years old, not a new coach and was on site and in service long before the 08xx Bolt coaches.