TTC Application Process

ericgu22

33 minutes ago, Trini12 said:

Hi First time posting. This is a great thread and Ive read alot of information on here. I got my email for the information session and I was just wondering are you allowed to use a calculator if needed when doing the assessment? 

No only pen/pencil and paper

9 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

With most crews you'll be at work for more than 8 hours except for specials, where you work less than 8 hours but get paid for 8.

What are specials? I'm thinking of school specials or trips, but perhaps I'm wrong. Does that include spare board?

13 minutes ago, dayone said:

What are specials? I'm thinking of school specials or trips, but perhaps I'm wrong. Does that include spare board?

A special is a left over piece of work that they couldn't make a full 8 hours out of. Usually 6+ hrs of driving but you still get paid for 8 hrs. The majority of these are in the mid afternoon to early evening or there is still a few early morning ones but not many. There are no specials on weekends that I know of but lot's on holidays.

The last few years they've also introduced these garbage 2 piece specials. Same general idea with less than 8 hrs driving but also big splits. The only benefit is you get weekends off. Good way to get weekends off for junior ops but they usually pay just over 8 hours. For me I prefer to get paid a big crew value if I'm doing a big spread but that's me......

• Like 2

On July 15, 2016 at 6:16 PM, RocketPilot said:

Hi, thought I'd introduce myself. Was recently hired as a transit operator. Went through orientation and am currently awaiting my first day of training which starts in August.

Hi, 

By chance were you at   the     Documentation session on July 13th?

Busgirl

46 minutes ago, dyinginside said:

I'm really in despair and was wondering if someone who knows what they're talking about can help me!!! :(

I'm currently a bus operator still in probation. I'm only 2 months in and my mental health has taken a nosedive since starting this job. I suffer from anxiety, severe anxiety, that I vomit every morning before work. The anxiety is all related to buses, bus driving and the fact I was attacked years ago (unrelated to this job).

I'm scared to come out to management about my issues because I don't know what they're going to do to me. With such low seniority (probationary still), if I were to declare a mental health disability, what would my options be as I cannot drive a bus anymore. Would they consider putting me into subways as a disability transfer or does my low seniority rule that out completely? What happens then? What jobs are available for people like me?!?

Please help me...Im utterly crushed and destroyed on the inside....

Start looking ASAP to get out. Subscribe to the internal job alerts emails. Not sure what you did in previous occupation but hopefully it will help you bid out. 2 months will make that difficult but don't give up, it will get better. Wait to you sign a crew and get some consistency. They were recently recruiting clerks at divisions also. I would forget about collectors. Good luck to you. PM me if you need further assistance.

7 hours ago, dyinginside said:

I'm really in despair and was wondering if someone who knows what they're talking about can help me!!! :(

I'm currently a bus operator still in probation. I'm only 2 months in and my mental health has taken a nosedive since starting this job. I suffer from anxiety, severe anxiety, that I vomit every morning before work. The anxiety is all related to buses, bus driving and the fact I was attacked years ago (unrelated to this job).

I'm scared to come out to management about my issues because I don't know what they're going to do to me. With such low seniority (probationary still), if I were to declare a mental health disability, what would my options be as I cannot drive a bus anymore. Would they consider putting me into subways as a disability transfer or does my low seniority rule that out completely? What happens then? What jobs are available for people like me?!?

Be careful with that.. if you did not disclose any kind of anxiety problem on the pre-med for hiring that is potential grounds for termination. 

My s/o has an anxiety disorder so I am well familiar with the issues you're dealing with.. but you have to be careful while on probation as you mentioned.  Tough situation.. I hope it gets better for you.  It is supposed to...  

I'm not sure subways is a good idea for someone suffering from anxiety.  It's not the cakewalk everyone thinks it is... and the risk of priority one (although extremely small) would be devastating for someone dealing with anxiety. 

Feel free to PM me and I might be able to offer you some more advice.. not sure how much I want to say on the public forum.  Cheers.

• Like 2

Hey guys!

I've got my information session on the 26th of July and was just wondering if anyone remembers any questions from their interview (anyones that stand out or were difficult to answer)? For example I herd that one person got a question that asked "An old lady is 50 cents short of her fair when entering the bus, what do you do?" Also any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

7 hours ago, emki said:

Hey guys!

I've got my information session on the 26th of July and was just wondering if anyone remembers any questions from their interview (anyones that stand out or were difficult to answer)? For example I herd that one person got a question that asked "An old lady is 50 cents short of her fair when entering the bus, what do you do?" Also any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hi...my friend has the same date as yours.

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:23 AM, andyman said:

Take the 300 across Bloor to Yonge then 320 down to Queen and then the Queen car back west.....and your done 3.

Thanks Anyman the way how I am planning to do is catch the 301 night streetcar from Humber college's lakeshore campus (Colonel Samual Smith drive) all the way till Queen Station at Yonge (Neville Park). That takes me about 45 mins and than from there I will take the 320 Yonge till maybe Yorkmills.

The other 3 I will be doing next week on a different day.

What are some of the questions they throw you at the interview can someone share this please. Thanks.

23 hours ago, automotive-parts said:

Hi...my friend has the same date as yours.

On 7/19/2016 at 3:21 PM, emki said:

Hey guys!

I have mine on the same day as well. Good Luck!

On July 18, 2016 at 6:51 PM, dyinginside said:

You wanted subways and you got bus instead...boohoo. 

I would like to see you explain to management how you determined it's the bus that's giving you anxiety and how transferring to another mode will guarantee that you'll be fine and they are not wasting thousands of dollars to train you again. I believe it's great to be part of a union, but it's screwed that crybabies like you might actually get what they want because of it instead of sucking it up for 2 years and put a bid out like everyone else does. Why did you apply to work at TTC to start with is beyond me..

manup.png

• Like 1