TTC Application Process

ericgu22

Re: hours and time-off

Do most operators do split shifts? If yes, what's the most common split? 

For those of you with kids, what are your favourite shifts?

How long does it take to get 8-hour straight shifts NOT overnight?

What's vacation like? Standard two weeks a year?

I undersrand some of these vary by division, mode, seniority, etc. I'm just looking for your experience.

That Reddit thread was very negative and not what I hear from most operators I talk to, who all really like the job.

4 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Maybe they need people to fill in the streetcar shuttles?

That's why they have dual mode ops.

14 minutes ago, LMESSIAH said:

The 60 hours thing was only supposed to be till June. So should be over soon if it isn't already.

Supposed to end June 27.

16 hours ago, ValentineRH said:

Information Session next week Wednesday!

I'm excited to start the whole process.  

Same here. My info session is on Tuesday super excited....I have been applying at TTC for quite some time but never got a response this is the first time I got a reply...Cant wait..are you practicing any aptitude test questions?

23 minutes ago, Oscar101 said:

I undersrand some of these vary by division, mode, seniority, etc. I'm just looking for your experience.

That Reddit thread was very negative and not what I hear from most operators I talk to, who all really like the job.

Great questions..I have experienced similar sentiments as well from my friends who are TTC Ops other than the reddit thread...

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 9:33 AM, Oscar101 said:

Congratulations! That sounds really exciting. 

It's inspirational for those of us who have applied recently.

Speaking of which, anybody received info session invitations these days? 

Congrats!

yes I have next week June 21st at 7.30

30 minutes ago, Oscar101 said:

3 weeks vacation in your second year.

There really isn't early straight 8 hour shifts excerpt maybe weekends. If your looking for that then you'll be stuck to late relief or nights.

Splits can vary from 2-4 hours. I've even seen a 5.5 hour split on a 2 piece special.  Most sacrifice splits, crappy hours or routes just to get weekends. Going into my 5th year soon and I haven't done splits in about 2 and half years. 

Great way to get better work is with spareboard or vacation board. If your looking for early work with weekends off depending on division/mode you need minimum 15+ years and that's for the crap work.

The Reddit article provides a lot of good info and a great read none the less. If you haven't checked it out do it now!

Good luck all.

3 minutes ago, andyman said:

There really isn't early straight 8 hour shifts excerpt maybe weekends. If your looking for that then you'll be stuck to late relief or nights.

Splits can vary from 2-4 hours. I've even seen a 5.5 hour split on a 2 piece special.  Most sacrifice splits, crappy hours or routes just to get weekends. Going into my 5th year soon and I haven't done splits in about 2 and half years. 

Great way to get better work is with spareboard or vacation board. If your looking for early work with weekends off depending on division/mode you need minimum 15+ years and that's for the crap work.

The Reddit article provides a lot of good info and a great read none the less. If you haven't checked it out do it now!

Good luck all.

Hi Andy

I have been reading your posts since the beginning of this thread when you were a new bie and had doubts in your mind of quitting your existing job while going onto training with TTC. How did you handled that situation. Did you quit your current job, took vacations or leave of absence.

21 minutes ago, afk1975 said:

Hi Andy

I have been reading your posts since the beginning of this thread when you were a new bie and had doubts in your mind of quitting your existing job while going onto training with TTC. How did you handled that situation. Did you quit your current job, took vacations or leave of absence.

Long story short, my wife was 7 months pregnant when I started and I was taking a pay cut to start at TTC even though I hated my job I was still on the fence about leaving. I didn't quit until 2 weeks into my training.  It didn't help that I didn't get assigned to the division 2 kms from my house. Having said that I did get a junior division where I got better hours right away and a great deal of experience  quickly on busy routes. After 2 years I transferred too the closer division and now quite enjoying it as it's become much junior than it was. The key for me was the instructor. After a couple days in training I explained my situation and he put me at ease that I was doing the right thing. Put it this way after a few days the instructor can usually tell if your going to be successful or not. I've made many life long friends including that instructor at the TTC. There will be many ups and downs but it's what you make of it. You will encounter many challenges. Dealing with passengers can be difficult at times as well coworkers. Sleeping and eating properly, maintaining good relationship at home and social life....among other things. What killed me the first year was not seeing my older son's sports but these days I make 95% of them and now my little guy is starting kindergarten in the fall......time sure does fly!

Sorry I guess that wasn't to short! Lol.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, afk1975 said:

Great questions..I have experienced similar sentiments as well from my friends who are TTC Ops other than the reddit thread...

yes I have next week June 21st at 7.30

Tks! I've been invited for June 22. Pretty excited. 

8 hours ago, CocoonMaN said:

Late in is certainly NOT drying up in subway.  Who told you that??   There was some service order issued like two weeks ago where they've literally stopped turning trains to finish (almost) on time to making them up to an hour late at times.   It's kind of bananas to be honest...

They tried that for one board period, and it was for saturdays only.  It didn't work and was promptly scrapped.

Honestly you guys are kind of off base here.. I'm a low seniority nobody and I've been doing 50 + hour weeks for like the past two months.. (not even by choice!)  I actually want the 8-9 hour crews... they've not available to me!!! 

Regarding OT at YUS.. you can pretty much get anything you want right now.   They've had to actually park trains a few times in the last week or so because they haven't had anybody to fill crews.  I don't even put slips in and very regularly the clerks have been asking me/calling me to work shifts.  

It's not at all as you guys are describing it...

Anyways sorry if I come off as rude or harsh.. just want to quell the misinformation.  Thank you :D

When it comes to 60hrs a week, it doesn't include forced hours. That's why we get paid double time, we have no control. I think we got the 60hrs a week mixed up with getting stuck on a train. I can't voluntarily work over 60 for the week. Now if I'm forced then that's another story altogether. TTC and myself can get in trouble if we go over without a legitimate excuse. We need a certain amount of sleep. Now I don't want to get into it if you go over on a public forum.

As for late in, its not like before were it was 30-45 mins into the yard at night, it certainly came down in the last year. So when I say drying up, I should say reduced. Maybe a better word. Obviously the time of day makes a difference, late in at night compared to finishing during rush hours, and finishing at 10pm or 2pm varies. If I do a split I can get an hour or more in the Am, then another hour or more in the afternoon.  When I did 96iirc crew early last year, it was the last train in the yard after am rush, I was getting an hour late in everyday in the am. Then I went to nights, and it was 30min to 15.  When I went to nights just prior to Pan Ames they were getting it own to 15min, with some nights no Late in. After Pan Ames it creep back up. Now were in the summer season, so we all know what that is like. But I've been getting 10-15min late in. So its been reduced. But if you getting more than what i'm getting then you are most likely doing day work.

I go for 8:15 crews. With a late break. Late in is good enough OT for me, I like my social life.

Apparently the BD works like a clock, I've heard of guys down to one change over at night.

1 hour ago, andyman said:

That's why they have dual mode ops.

Supposed to end June 27.

Why was 60hr implemented in the first place? Especially now that its summer. lol

38 minutes ago, andyman said:

Long story short, my wife was 7 months pregnant when I started and I was taking a pay cut to start at TTC even though I hated my job I was still on the fence about leaving. I didn't quit until 2 weeks into my training.  It didn't help that I didn't get assigned to the division 2 kms from my house. Having said that I did get a junior division where I got better hours right away and a great deal of experience  quickly on busy routes. After 2 years I transferred too the closer division and now quite enjoying it as it's become much junior than it was. The key for me was the instructor. After a couple days in training I explained my situation and he put me at ease that I was doing the right thing. Put it this way after a few days the instructor can usually tell if your going to be successful or not. I've made many life long friends including that instructor at the TTC. There will be many ups and downs but it's what you make of it. You will encounter many challenges. Dealing with passengers can be difficult at times as well coworkers. Sleeping and eating properly, maintaining good relationship at home and social life....among other things. What killed me the first year was not seeing my older son's sports but these days I make 95% of them and now my little guy is starting kindergarten in the fall......time sure does fly!

Sorry I guess that wasn't to short! Lol.

No you have been spot on explaining your situation to us new applicants. It really gives an in depth knowledge on how to proceed. I am sorry to hear abt your older son's sports and hence I waited for the same reason for my boyz now they are 12 and 9. Key thing that I took from your story is you spoke to the instructor and explained him your situation and the fact that he was such a nice guy to even give you a response. I think you need a lot of patience to do this job in my current role this is exactly what I do. Well I am still in my early stages but I also know these early stages pass by quickly and hence I am planning ahead of time incase if I reach that stage..wish me good luck.

46 minutes ago, Oscar101 said:

Tks! I've been invited for June 22. Pretty excited. 

so are you doing any aptitude test preparations.

1 hour ago, andyman said:

Good luck all.

Thanks for the answer. I don't care about the splits, but I do care about spending time with my kids. From the Reddit discussion, the possible shifts don't seem to be very conducive to having a family. 

2 hours ago, andyman said:

Just to give you another example the last 2 boards I've been on spareboard and finish between 1230 and 130pm with Thursday/Friday off days. For summer I went to vacation board with weekends or Sun/Mon off and no later than 130pm finish.

Hi Andy can you explain what is spareboard and vacation board and what time do you start if you finish by 130pm

7 minutes ago, afk1975 said:

Hi Andy can you explain what is spareboard and vacation board and what time do you start if you finish by 130pm

Start times around 5am +/- 45 mins. Usually with at least a 20 min break.

Spareboard is basically covering for operators who are sick, have training,  booked off for an emergency, etc.....you don't know what time or route your doing until 5pm the day before. Or you may be given only a report time and you hang out in case someone books off last min.

Vacation board is basically covering for other ops who are hopefully much senior to you when they are on vacation. Usually every 6 weeks a sign up takes place and you bid for your work. More ops on vacation this time of year so usually nice work available. You can also use vacay board to your advantage if you need different off days every week or want to extend your own vacation. Gets a little tricky and requires some home work to do successfully.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:56 PM, andyman said:

Start times around 5am +/- 45 mins. Usually with at least a 20 min break.

Spareboard is basically covering for operators who are sick, have training,  booked off for an emergency, etc.....you don't know what time or route your doing until 5pm the day before. Or you may be given only a report time and you hang out in case someone books off last min.

Vacation board is basically covering for other ops who are hopefully much senior to you when they are on vacation. Usually every 6 weeks a sign up takes place and you bid for your work. More ops on vacation this time of year so usually nice work available. You can also use vacay board to your advantage if you need different off days every week or want to extend your own vacation. Gets a little tricky and requires some home work to do successfully.

Andy does TTC pay certain % of your salary rate per hour for the split hours that the Ops have to wait till they are back on. Also can you shed some light on the probation period once you are hired. How long is it and what do you have to do to get through successfully without getting fired? What do they look for while you are in probation? etc. Thanks.

2 hours ago, afk1975 said:

Andy does TTC pay certain % of your salary rate per hour for the split hours that the Ops have to wait till they are back on. Also can you shed some light on the probation period once you are hired. How long is it and what do you have to do to get through successfully without getting fired? What do they look for while you are in probation? etc. Thanks.

Probation period is 10 months. Just keep your nose clean as best as possible obviously. Your supposed to have a few ride alongs with a supervisor but doesn't always happen before a sit down with the boss where he signs off. I really don't know of anyone failing the probation period but I've heard of it being extended.  Attendance, accidents and customer service are the big things. Takes 2 years to hit the top pay rate. 

As for the split pay....basically if you have a 4 hour split you will get paid an extra hour or so. Remember your not at top rate so that extra hour helps out and use the split to rest up as your sleeping patterns will be far from the norm. As I said before late relief is quite popular just because the work ia usually a straight piece and after rush hour things quiet down somewhat.

28 minutes ago, andyman said:

Probation period is 10 months. Just keep your nose clean as best as possible obviously. Your supposed to have a few ride alongs with a supervisor but doesn't always happen before a sit down with the boss where he signs off. I really don't know of anyone failing the probation period but I've heard of it being extended.  Attendance, accidents and customer service are the big things. Takes 2 years to hit the top pay rate. 

As for the split pay....basically if you have a 4 hour split you will get paid an extra hour or so. Remember your not at top rate so that extra hour helps out and use the split to rest up as your sleeping patterns will be far from the norm. As I said before late relief is quite popular just because the work ia usually a straight piece and after rush hour things quiet down somewhat.

thanks so in your opinion to start it is good to go for the late relief shift with less traffic and straight 8 hrs.

1 hour ago, afk1975 said:

thanks so in your opinion to start it is good to go for the late relief shift with less traffic and straight 8 hrs.

That's for you too decide....I always went for earliest finish so I could be home for dinner with my family. 

5 hours ago, andyman said:

I've seen a supervisor holding a clipboard and silently stand beside an operator who was working on a route. Is that why the supervisor is there? To check on a new operator who's on probation? What things are being observed?

hello all, first post here, 

i have received an email stating i passed the interview and someone will be in contact with me for conditional offer, this was 5 days ago, anyone ever had a longer wait time then this for conditional offer after passing interview?

i know silly question just anxious as most people are here:)