TTC Application Process

ericgu22

That documentary about "Moving Toronto" that was a trailer a few months ago is finally finished. For anyone who is interested.
I take no credit for this publishing, it's simply a copy/paste to give some insight for those applying/waiting and/or in the process of getting trained.
Enjoy.

Thank-you :) just realized i've seen it already lol

Don't get to comfy at whatever division your at.... I over heard supervisors today speaking about a possibility of a master sign up with the combination of Roncie and Russell yards. Even though street car divisions it will effect bus as well. That's on top of the future possible McNicol division which is many years in the future but most likely another master similar to when Mount Dennis opened. Of course nothing is confirmed as of yet.

What a nightmare! They should put it to a vote. I don't see why majority would want a master. People with seniority are where they want to be anyway and half the new people wouldn't want to be bumped.

I'd think the only ones who would want it would be new people who got placed where they didn't want.

Don't see why the company would want it either. I'm sure it costs lots of money and chaos only to have all the bumpees request transfers back lol. (After whatever the waiting period would be)

There's no choice in the matter of whether a master sign up will take place or not. There was a master when Danforth bus closed, when Mount Dennis opened, and most recently on the maintenance side, when they contracted out some maintenance positions. It'll happen whether you like it or not. Talk to your steward and they'll tell you the same thing with more intricate details thrown in.

Don't get to comfy at whatever division your at.... I over heard supervisors today speaking about a possibility of a master sign up with the combination of Roncie and Russell yards. Even though street car divisions it will effect bus as well. That's on top of the future possible McNicol division which is many years in the future but most likely another master similar to when Mount Dennis opened. Of course nothing is confirmed as of yet.

So similar to BD and SRT at on Division, Danforth

But then Lesile will open which will cause another master. They should just wait for Lesile to open

Got a call from HR yesterday to book my medical and conditional offer signing dates. I just wanted to clarify Is the medical and conditional offer signing at the same building that the Interview was located at? I have my medical before my condtional offer signing, is that possible? From this thread it seems like medical is always after conditional offer signing.

Thanks in advance.

DS

Got a call from HR yesterday to book my medical and conditional offer signing dates. I just wanted to clarify Is the medical and conditional offer signing at the same building that the Interview was located at? I have my medical before my condtional offer signing, is that possible? From this thread it seems like medical is always after conditional offer signing.

Thanks in advance.

DS

Medical is in downtown and conditional is at Hillcrest if I remember correctly

Even if it happens so what. First we were lucky to even get the call and now that we've started all complaints are a free 4 all.

Master sign up or not just be greatful the job is there.

Nobodies complaining. Just questioning the process and hoping it doesn't occur. (Anytime soon)

What is a master sign up?

Basically a big bloody free for all where all the employees will bid on their division based on seniority. (Pardon my non scientific wording of the process)

So I'm not sure where you are or if you wish to stay there but if they do a master and your division has 400 spots and all are filled by the time they get to you, you'd be bumped and would have to bid to another division.

Thanks in advance.

DS

Ya seems weird since you usually book medical and get paperwork for it at the conditional offer. Maybe they're rushing you through though who knows.

Got a call from HR yesterday to book my medical and conditional offer signing dates. I just wanted to clarify Is the medical and conditional offer signing at the same building that the Interview was located at? I have my medical before my condtional offer signing, is that possible? From this thread it seems like medical is always after conditional offer signing. Congrats

When will be your date?

Thanks in advance.

DS

Dark when they call you?

Nobodies complaining. Just questioning the process and hoping it doesn't occur. (Anytime soon)

Basically a big bloody free for all where all the employees will bid on their division based on seniority. (Pardon my non scientific wording of the process)

So I'm not sure where you are or if you wish to stay there but if they do a master and your division has 400 spots and all are filled by the time they get to you, you'd be bumped and would have to bid to another division.

Ya seems weird since you usually book medical and get paperwork for it at the conditional offer. Maybe they're rushing you through though who knows.

When they called me they booked my conditional and medical appointments at the same timeover the phone...when I went to sign they gave me directions and instructionsfor medical.. That was in March

When is the Master expected, this year? Any reasoning behind it.

Also I hear once McNicoll is opened it will be contracted out, on both the operator and Maintenance side.

Nothing confirmed but management seems to think one is overdue. Don't understand but really does anyone.....

When is the Master expected, this year? Any reasoning behind it.

Also I hear once McNicoll is opened it will be contracted out, on both the operator and Maintenance side.

Oh I don't know, maybe something about a new division, like Leslie barn opening up? And it's because a lot of people will want to move around, depending on seniority numbers and curiosity. Some drivers i know would like to try the new streetcars, so why not? If they don't like, they bid back. I know people who moved last time just because they jumped 10 spots, that makes a big difference in work. It's happened every new division, so why this is new to some, is puzzling. You better pray that isn't true about McNicoll,...you will all lose if that happens.

Oh I don't know, maybe something about a new division, like Leslie barn opening up? And it's because a lot of people will want to move around, depending on seniority numbers and curiosity. Some drivers i know would like to try the new streetcars, so why not? If they don't like, they bid back. I know people who moved last time just because they jumped 10 spots, that makes a big difference in work. It's happened every new division, so why this is new to some, is puzzling. You better pray that isn't true about McNicoll,...you will all lose if that happens.

Well current contract will end about the time McNicol plus a year or two theoretically should open so will be interesting as current contract states no more contracting out. No one really knows in regards to the master but sooner or later one is coming. Lots of rumours are swirling as usual.....most untrue of course. TTC has a habit of making decisions and then back tracking on them.

Either way its a great job. I remember on day one of training our instructor told us "Welcome to the TTC, you've all just won cash for life!" Which makes sense as I take home $1000 a week after taxes... just like the scratch ticket lottery.

Master sign-ups are not based on curiosity or whether drivers like new streetcars. lol What an imagination.

Lesile won't be opened for a little while anyways so in responding to the idea Andyman brought up, I think it would make more sense to wait for Lesile to open. As I said earlier, But management makes that decision.

Either way we will find out eventually.

Either way its a great job. I remember on day one of training our instructor told us "Welcome to the TTC, you've all just won cash for life!" Which makes sense as I take home $1000 a week after taxes... just like the scratch ticket lottery.

Exactly, its the best job I've had, and I still enjoy it. It always great talking to people who have been around for 20-30 years that still enjoy working at TTC. that's who I like to surround myself with.