Transit in Hong Kong

Orion V

Man, these people are literally a different breed.

As much as I'm sad these things are going, I'm somewhat happy as well as the transitfans here really need to take a chill pill and see reality that they're gonna go sooner or later. as at least we would accept the truth particularly in the GTA when the Fishbowls were all gone, and even the last run we didn't tear the bus apart and inconvenience other passengers just because we didn't wanna see a bus retired.

They're very different compared to us... When I was chasing D40s i won't mob it, block lanes of traffic, or try to open the doors... Canadian transit enthusiasts are much more mature. Last thing I need is a group of them here on our charters... <_< :angry:

If you're that diehard into buses, I'm not surprised that you wouldn't want to find out how to start up and drive a bus...

haha i'm a fan, not a diehard fan though... but i have a few drivers that i talk to once in a while and they tell me a lot of info. For me knowing is enough, i wouldn't want to venture into unknown territory which could potentially get me into trouble. Knowledge is power, abuse of power is just plain ignorance =]

Fleet update:

MTR Bus is currently taking in an order of 9 Enviro400s. The first two arrived last week, and are numbered 140 and 141. I presume the fleet numbers will be 140-148. They all have Cummins ISL8 engines and ZF Ecolife transmissions.

More Enviro500s for Long Win Bus, with 8524 and 8525 arriving at Tung Chung Depot within the past week.

Another 14 KMB B9TLs with Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 bodies arrived in the past week, numbered AVBWU267-AVBWU280.

Fleet update:

MTR Bus is currently taking in an order of 9 Enviro400s. The first two arrived last week, and are numbered 140 and 141. I presume the fleet numbers will be 140-148. They all have Cummins ISL8 engines and ZF Ecolife transmissions.

More Enviro500s for Long Win Bus, with 8524 and 8525 arriving at Tung Chung Depot within the past week.

Another 14 KMB B9TLs with Wright Eclipse Gemini 2 bodies arrived in the past week, numbered AVBWU267-AVBWU280.

i love how they opted to stick with flipdot rather than an electronic LED sign <3

Fleet update:

I do hope MTR ordered their E400 with Voith, but it seems transits in HK tend to like ZFs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KMB to raise fares or revise bus routes to cover large losses

Loss-making Kowloon Motor Bus would be hard-pressed not to raise its fares if the government stops it from revising its routes to avoid duplication with rail lines, a company executive said.

Seventy percent of the company's 400 bus routes were running at a loss, managing director Edmond Ho Tat-man said yesterday. The company recorded a loss of HK$15.2 million in just the first half of the year, he said.

Many routes had become "outdated" with few passengers because of railway development and should be rearranged or eliminated, he added.

Since the beginning of last year, fuel costs had increased by 40 per cent while wages had gone up 9 per cent, Ho said.

The last time KMB raised its fares, by 3.6 per cent, was in May last year, but that was not enough to cover the overheads, he said.

The city's largest franchise bus operator said the 20 routes with the least passengers were losing on average HK$14 million in total a month.

KMB pointed to the enlarged railway network for its declining business. The impact was especially felt on routes in Tseung Kwan O, Sai Kung, Sha Tin and Ma On Shan, deputy managing director Evan Auyang said.

Bus routes connecting Sha Tin and Ma On Shan with MTR stations in the city centre had lost half their passengers since the Ma On Shan rail opened in 2004, he said.

KMB had yet to submit to the government any fare increase plan, but Auyang said the company could consider adjusting its plan if the authorities permitted a revision of its routes, which would allow it to deploy resources to buses with more demand.

The Transport Department said when handling applications, it would consider the public's ability to afford fare hikes.

Source: http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1059805/kmb-raise-fares-or-revise-bus-routes-cover-large-losses

-----------------------------------------------------

Other news: A 26 year-old Mainland Chinese female jump off the overpass bridge, landed on the A21 Cityflyer bus top deck windshield, then the body rolled down to the road and went under the bus, died instantly. http://tv.on.cc/index.html?s=150&ss=150&i=OBK-121013-12652-07M&d=1350084866

• 3 weeks later...

Couple pictures of Citybus's new Chinese Youngman JNP6105GR buses on Route M47. Probably wasn't the best bus for this route on a weekday morning (there's usually 1 Youngman on it plus either Volvo Olympians or MAN NL262's on it), it definitely cannot hold it's advertised capacity of 30 standee's since we were passing up people in Kennedy Town. It was also creaking and rattling pretty bad for a 2 month old bus, almost like Calgary's D40LF's.

Youngman1.jpg

Youngman2.jpg

Youngman3.jpg

Youngman4.jpg

Found this article posted on "Network Shuttle Diecast Model" page on Facebook, giving an account of recent bus orders submitted to Alexander-Dennis from all 4 operators in Hong Kong:

http://www.facebook....&type=1

491 buses in total, in which 410 of these buses are Enviro 500s. Furthermore, all but 28 will be the Newly redesigned Enviro 500s! In fact, here is a photo of the first Citybus prototype:

http://www.facebook....&type=1

KMB / LWB

220 x NEW Enviro 500 12m (22 for LWB, rest goes to KMB)

50 x Enviro 400

11 x Enviro 200

= 281 buses in total

Citybus

107 x NEW Enviro 500 12m (66 of these buses will be painted and assigned as "City Flyers"

49 x NEW Enviro 500 11.3m

20 x Enviro 400

= 176 buses in total

New World First Bus

28 x CURRENT Enviro 500 (no redesigned front)

MTRC

6 x NEW Enviro 500 11.3m

281 + 176 + 28 + 6 = 491 buses in total from ADL, all buses to be delivered between now and March 2014

I tried to find an official press release on ADL's website, but couldn't find anything. Generally I would prefer to verify the source of information before confirming the validity of its statements........but in this case, I guess we'll have to play the game of "wait and see". But after all, transit hobbyist magazines have served as first-account reporters in many cases......way before everything's set in stone, all documents signed and dated!

What I don't get is.........since Citybus and NWFB are both owned by the same parent company, why would NWFB order 28 current Enviro 500 model, instead of the new redesigned version?

Dave

I tried to find an official press release on ADL's website, but couldn't find anything. Generally I would prefer to verify the source of information before confirming the validity of its statements........but in this case, I guess we'll have to play the game of "wait and see". But after all, transit hobbyist magazines have served as first-account reporters in many cases......way before everything's set in stone, all documents signed and dated!

Here are the press releases, so looks like the rumours were true. But KMB actually ordered 370 instead of 220. And they have KMB's first LED signs (at least the prototype does). I guess both KMB and Citybus are looking to replace some of their Dennis Dragons and possibly some Tridents.

http://www.alexander...ID=1&itemID=150

http://www.alexander...ID=1&itemID=149

Insane.........and I still remember the days when ATR1, the first KMB Dennis Trident, was the biggest hype among transit fans back in 1998! It's GOLD, it's SLF = Super Low Floor, it's got a frameless front windshield from the top to bottom, what more could have been asked for? :P

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

violent crash on Monday involved a out of control, New World First Bus #4026 - Route 8 to Wan Chai Ferry Pier hitting KMB bus route 118 then collided Red Taxi. All 3 killed in the Taxi.

Blackout horror ... http://www.thestanda...1585&con_type=1

Three killed, 56 injured in Shau Kei Wan bus crash.... http://www.scmp.com/...i-wan-bus-crash

Bus driver collapsed at wheel shortly before deadly crash.... http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1086288/bus-driver-collapsed-wheel-shortly-crash-killed-three-taxi

Video shows driver fainting as bus veered out of control before Chai Wan crash.... http://www.scmp.com/...-chai-wan-crash

Celebrity chef Heston Blumenthal's senior staff die in horror crash.... http://www.heraldsun...o-1226520938007

TVB news video on the crash: http://www.fairchild...adlines_iid=819

violent crash on Monday involved a out of control, New World First Bus #4026 - Route 8 to Wan Chai Ferry Pier hitting KMB bus route 118 then collided Red Taxi. All 3 killed in the Taxi.

Yeah, that incline on Chai Wan Road is a bitch, drivers really have to watch out and be aware. Sad to hear he passed out at the wheel, and the three victims who died.

Fleet update:

i love how they opted to stick with flipdot rather than an electronic LED sign <3

Hong Kong has always stuck to flipdot. Wonder how they live with such old technology. Citybus and NFWB has made the switch, so it's just KMB lagging.

I do hope MTR ordered their E400 with Voith, but it seems transits in HK tend to like ZFs.

Well, here in Vancouver, we tend to like ZF. Voith is a bit squeaky and is more for Detroit Diesels.

Couple pictures of Citybus's new Chinese Youngman JNP6105GR buses on Route M47. Probably wasn't the best bus for this route on a weekday morning (there's usually 1 Youngman on it plus either Volvo Olympians or MAN NL262's on it), it definitely cannot hold it's advertised capacity of 30 standee's since we were passing up people in Kennedy Town. It was also creaking and rattling pretty bad for a 2 month old bus, almost like Calgary's D40LF's.

Youngman1.jpg

Youngman2.jpg

Youngman3.jpg

Youngman4.jpg

Well it's a China product. What do you expect?

BTW, is the guy in the last picture picking his nose?

In my opinion, flip-dots look better and is easier to be shot. You would really need specific aperture settings to capture the entire LED display.

-

ZF transmissions are generally better than Voith's. The DIWA gear ratios are way too widely distributed. 5.sth then suddenly 1.36 is not going to get you up a slope quickly.

In my opinion, flip-dots look better and is easier to be shot. You would really need specific aperture settings to capture the entire LED display.

This. I swear I've spent more time trying to figure out settings on how to capture the full sign for the LED display Citybus Olympians than actually taking photos of them.

What is interesting about this accident is that, someone posted a fake KMB internal notice online. The fake notice reminded KMB drivers to be awake of NWFB buses in wake of the recent accidents. KMB has since denied that it made such an announcement, and has called the police to follow up.