Blue Line/Southwest Transitway

DavidW

• 4 months later...

Anyone know what they are doing in the Transitway tunnel? There is scaffolding and orange tarp enclosing the north half of the west wall. It's odd that repairs might be needed on a tunnel that's only one year old...

• 6 months later...

There is going to an open house for Phase 2 of SW Transit Way

• Monday, November 18th: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm

• Tuesday, November 19th: 3:30 pm – 5:30 pm and 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm

CanadInns Fort Garry (1824 Pembina Highway)

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/southwest-transitway/stage-2---southwest-transitway

Busways get me excited!

Thats a heckuva dog leg in the route. What do folks think of that?

Nimby's wanted that because how dare they have public transit next to their street.

Personally, I'm not very happy about this "Rapid Transit" not taking the quickest, and most direct route.

I'm deeply disappointed by the dog leg route. Most significantly it takes the service through very low-ridership territory, away from where people live and work in any density. There is one large employer, a tractor factory, but the rest of the walk-up areas around the proposed stations are low-density industrial warehouses. One proposed station (at McGillivray) is next to a cemetery.

For more than a Century people in Fort Garry have lived and worked along Pembina Highway. It's where the housing is, the apartment buildings, the retail, the supermarket, the high school, and a number of one and two story office buildings. That's where the Rapid Transit should have been.

They argued in favour of the dog-leg on several grounds:

Redevelopment potential

The empty land along Parker Avenue west of Pembina has redevelopment potential, but I think it could have been served with a short branch (towards Waverley at Wilkes) instead of taking the whole service pattern out of the way. I think it's more likely there would be densification along Pembina than amongst the warehouses.

Higher Speeds

The route along Pembina between Jubilee and McGillivray would have been limited to 60 km/h because of the proximity of housing and several cross streets. The dog-leg is all projected at 80 km/h. I think this argument is smoke and mirrors. The dog-leg has one more station (and one more kilometre) than the proposed direct route, and given the acceleration and deceleration characteristics of a transit bus the amount of time or distance spent above 60 km/h on the chosen route will, I think, be miniscule. On balance it'll likely be longer by a few seconds.

Land Acquisition

The engineers identified less property to acquire along the dog-leg than along Pembina. They may be right about that, but I would argue that a cheaper route that serves fewer people is not a bargain. Since they are avoiding where people live and work in Fort Garry they will be compelled to maintain fairly high levels of service on Pembina in addition to whatever service they send over the dog-leg. In time the cost of dual services will make the up-front savings of cheaper construction irrelevant.

The route selection is a done deal. I think there's really no point in trying to reopen the discussion again. I've tried and been shut down. It was my impression attending the public consultations a couple of years ago that the decision had already been made, and the point of the public "consultation" was to try out various justifications and get feedback. I was so disappointed at the time I threw my "feedback" form in the garbage and left the open house.

A walk along the Transitway a couple of weeks ago led me to this. Orange stakes marking the location of future Jubilee Station.

October 27th, 2013.

JubileeStn-2013Oct27a.jpg

The stakes are labelled "future bus station".

JubileeStn-2013Oct27b.jpg

The stakes are in the area just before where buses leave the Transitway to join the Jubilee overpass. They have also graveled (but not yet paved) a new street (called "Station Place" on the billboards) which runs from Argue to meet an extension of Rathgar Avenue forming a bay in front of the future station.

Just saw this today:

Southwest Transitway Project:

Public Information Session

Winnipeg's City Council recently approved the alignment for the extension of the Southwest Transitway from Jubilee Avenue to the University of Manitoba.

As part of the design of the precise location for the transitway within the approved alignment, the project team is currently identifying opportunities and constraints.

Please attend to find out more about the project and to provide input on such topics as station sites, active transportation pathways, transit routes, and other considerations for the transitway.

Where: Canad Inns,1824 Pembina Hwy.

When: Drop in between 3:30 to 5:30 pm and 7:00 to 9:00 pm

on Monday, November 18th and/or Tuesday, November 19th

For more information please contact:

Donovan Toews, Landmark Planning & Design Inc.

204-453-8008

http://winnipegtransit.com/en/southwest-transitway

The University of Manitoba has unveiled the winner of its international campus redesign competition. The winning design designates that the Southwest Transitway will enter campus from the corner of Pembina and Bison drive. Buses will proceed parallel to Chancellor Matheson Avenue to a new transit terminal to be constructed on the south side of Chancellor Matheson on what is presently the west half of U-Lot. From there the winning design proposes a circular shuttle bus around the perimeter of campus to distribute transit riders to their destinations.

Add the travel time of the circular shuttle route to its headway/transfer wait and I think it might add 10 to 20 minutes to a trip.

The University of Manitoba has unveiled the winner of its international campus redesign competition. The winning design designates that the Southwest Transitway will enter campus from the corner of Pembina and Bison drive. Buses will proceed parallel to Chancellor Matheson Avenue to a new transit terminal to be constructed on the south side of Chancellor Matheson on what is presently the west half of U-Lot. From there the winning design proposes a circular shuttle bus around the perimeter of campus to distribute transit riders to their destinations.

Add the travel time of the circular shuttle route to its headway/transfer wait and I think it might add 10 to 20 minutes to a trip.

The result of the design competition is nowhere near binding, though -- it's just a source of ideas and inspiration for future planning. I'd be very surprised if the transit elements of the design were actually adopted. According to the final report of the RT Stage 2 alignment study, neither U of M nor Transit wants the busway to run along Chancellor Matheson. And I heard from someone who was involved in the design panel that Dave Wardrop had nothing good to say about the circular shuttle bus idea.

The result of the design competition is nowhere near binding, though -- it's just a source of ideas and inspiration for future planning. I'd be very surprised if the transit elements of the design were actually adopted. According to the final report of the RT Stage 2 alignment study, neither U of M nor Transit wants the busway to run along Chancellor Matheson. And I heard from someone who was involved in the design panel that Dave Wardrop had nothing good to say about the circular shuttle bus idea.

Because if it was a free circular shuttle, Winnipeg Transit would lose tens of thousands of dollars in boardings possibly! That and from what I've heard in Calgary, circular shuttle routes have little to no layover time. I doubt the driver is going to do his runs for 8 hours straight, without using the washroom or getting something to eat/drink, or smoke, or just rest. The drivers of this route would be quite mad at this. Plus also, how many buses would we need for this? To be honest, a local tram/LRT network would work better for the University, versus buses. At least its quieter, so students may actually study/learn in peace. Plus it'd help with sustainability! Connect the LRT/Tram to St. Vital Mall, or even Fort Richmond/St. Norbert... we may just be able to spare a good 15-25 buses crossing the river, feeding the main routes or running down to St. Norbert! Turnbull Road though...

At the Winnipeg Transit Riders' Association meeting last week it was reported by our Winnipeg Transit guest that the University of Manitoba will still likely get a busway from near the corner of Pembina and Markham across the "Southwood Lands" to somewhere in the vicinity of University Crescent and Dysart Road, and that the transit terminal would remain where it currently resides, on Dafoe Road between Alumni Lane and MacLean Crescent.

• 2 months later...

Another Open House for Phase 2 of the SW Transit Project

Got a Postcard in the mail today. Nothing of the website yet.

Monday Feb 24 3:30pm - 5:30pm and 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

Tuesday Feb 25 3:30pm - 5:30pm and 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm

The first round of stakeholder and public consultation concluded in early December 2013

and a draft functional design for the transitway has now been prepared.

Please attend to provide feedback on the functional design and the active transportation pathway plans.

• 4 weeks later...

Display boards for the 2nd Open House are up

http://winnipegtrans...s2_R7_lores.pdf

Am I reading it right that the rt route that runs the full length of the Transitway between downtown and the University of Manitoba is the #161? Currently the #161 is a peak-direction-only service (southbound only weekday AM [last bus leaves Balmoral Station at 11:58], northbound only afternoons 11:23 - 17:30). Seems kind of a pity to struggle for 40 years to build rapid transit to the University to provide only a peak-period/peak-direction low frequency express...

First of all the map is of poor quality

It looks like the main Transitway route will be route 139 (orange dot) than runs from Downtown to the University via the full-length of the transitway.

It looks like they don't need route 170 anymore. The 170 (late evenings and Sundays) follows the same routing at 162, but at a local service level.

The new 162 can't offer local service until it leaves the Transitway at Markham. Currently the 162 offers local service when it reaches University Cres.

The display board from last November had a route 200 go from Downtown via the Transitway to Markham to UofM

http://winnipegtransit.com/assets/1028/017_SWT_Boards_R3_lo_res.pdf

First of all the map is of poor quality

AGREED. I can't even see the feeder routes on it... it kind of pisses me off. I can make out the 95, but the 84/86/94 all looks like a giant blur.

I'm also intrigued by a 2nd tunnel being built for the RT system. That one, I wasn't expecting!

I'll just have to go down to the open house and see it for myself, tomorrow night. I'd say tonight, but I just got home, legs are hurting :(

I attended the open house and spent some time talking with the transit people. The full-size map on display was (of course) much more legible than in that pdf. The two transitway routes to U of M are the 161 and the 199 (orange on the map). The 199 will run all day and stop at all the transitway stations. The 161 will skip *all* of the stops (even its current stops at Harkness, Osborne, and Fort Rouge) -- completely express between downtown and the university.

As shown on the map, the plan now is for university buses to use Southpark Drive to exit the transitway, rather than Markham. There will be a stop at Pembina & Southpark, although it is not shown on the map.

BusRider -- the 160 via Transitway is the same 160 that currently runs. Transitway to Jubilee and then Pembina to U of M.

Once the new leg opens, they will be boosting the frequency of the 160 and 60 in order to make up for the buses that will be diverted off of Pembina.

As trebor204 said, the 170 will no longer exist.

Eventually they would like to extend the transitway at its northern end (Queen Elizabeth & Stradbrook) via an overpass over Main parallel to the railway overpass, continuing through Union Station, thus getting buses out of the congestion on Main. The eastern transitway could tie into this route if it comes in via the St. Boniface alignment. This would be a phase after the SW and eastern transitways are both complete.

• 1 month later...