Metrolink

R. McConnell

I couldn't find a thread for Metrolink-related items, so here goes.

- Spotted brand-new MP36 #901 at the central maintenance facility last week. Surprisingly, it was in the old purple colors.

- Does anyone know what Metrolink plans on doing with the ex-New Jersey Transit Comet I coaches? I saw one still in NJT paint at the CMF, and another with the UTA FrontRunner wrap on an outbound train at Los Angeles Union Station. Are they a stopgap measure to alleviate a car shortage until the new Rotem bilevels arrive?

- I'll have to find time to take some new Metrolink photos, especially as I don't have any photos of the locomotives with the new paint scheme (which, in my opinion, looks absolutely hideous.)

I couldn't find a thread for Metrolink-related items, so here goes.

- Spotted brand-new MP36 #901 at the central maintenance facility last week. Surprisingly, it was in the old purple colors.

Why is that a surprise? They were all delivered in that scheme, and I'm pretty certain that none have yet been painted into the new scheme.

- Does anyone know what Metrolink plans on doing with the ex-New Jersey Transit Comet I coaches? I saw one still in NJT paint at the CMF, and another with the UTA FrontRunner wrap on an outbound train at Los Angeles Union Station. Are they a stopgap measure to alleviate a car shortage until the new Rotem bilevels arrive?

They are leasing some cars from NJT (the ones still painted in NJT) for a term measured in years. The ones painted for UTA's FrontRunner are owned by UTA and leased to Metrolink for a couple of months. In both cases, they are temporary until enough Rotem's arrive.

Dan

Why is that a surprise? They were all delivered in that scheme, and I'm pretty certain that none have yet been painted into the new scheme.

Seeing 901 was a surprise within itself -- I didn't know that they had even taken delivery of any MP36s in 2009 (until I went home and checked online later) and I wasn't sure if they had arrived before or after Metrolink rolled out the new colors.

They are leasing some cars from NJT (the ones still painted in NJT) for a term measured in years. The ones painted for UTA's FrontRunner are owned by UTA and leased to Metrolink for a couple of months. In both cases, they are temporary until enough Rotem's arrive.

That's what I thought -- thanks.

Seeing 901 was a surprise within itself -- I didn't know that they had even taken delivery of any MP36s in 2009 (until I went home and checked online later) and I wasn't sure if they had arrived before or after Metrolink rolled out the new colors.

That's what I thought -- thanks.

They should have a few MP36's in service

I don't know if they ever intended to have the MP36's in the new scheme, to be honest. The Rotem cars were definately supposed to, but they were also supposed to be on the property by now as well.

As for the MP36's, all have been delivered and it seems that most, if not all, are in service. 902 is the highest number.

Dan

I don't know if they ever intended to have the MP36's in the new scheme, to be honest. The Rotem cars were definately supposed to, but they were also supposed to be on the property by now as well.

As for the MP36's, all have been delivered and it seems that most, if not all, are in service. 902 is the highest number.

Dan

Well Rotem is well behind on its SEPTA EMU order so this shouldnt be a surprise, also do they even have a pliot car ready for testing yet on the Metrolink order

...also do they even have a pliot car ready for testing yet on the Metrolink order

Yes, they do. The first couple of shells/bodies/cars left the factory a couple of weeks ago, and should arrive in LA around the end of this month.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

From what I've heard, the first of the new Rotems are in L.A. and their assembly and preparation will be completed out near San Bernardino. How long that takes...who knows?

As for the Front Runner cars, I still see them pass behind my house on occasion.

So far, I've only seen one locomotive with the new color scheme (and can't remember the fleet number). I don't know if any of the coaches have been repainted as of yet as I have not seen any.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...
Metrolink's first two Rotem bi-level cars have been delivered. Photos of them are available in Metrolink's "Metrolink Matters" newsletter: http://www.metrolinktrains.com/includes/me...rchAprilWEB.pdf

Looking forward to seeing these in service.

I dont know if all these "new safety standards" is going to make a difference, if some guy decides to park his jeep on the tracks and commit suicide. Resulting in one train derailing, and crashing into an on coming train.

So the BI-levels will only be used in mid consist? Or what will happen to them?

I dont know if all these "new safety standards" is going to make a difference, if some guy decides to park his jeep on the tracks and commit suicide. Resulting in one train derailing, and crashing into an on coming train.

So the BI-levels will only be used in mid consist? Or what will happen to them?

It was 2 on coming trains and yes the Bi-Levels will be used mid consist only IIRC

I think it's simply an issue of trying to reassure the public that Metrolink is safe -- they've had three major accidents resulting in a number of deaths, and they've only been around since 1991, so they need to show that they're actually doing something about this.

Coincidentally, Metrolink's operations contract with Veolia is about to expire, and they're switching to Amtrak, rather than re-hiring Veolia.

I think it's simply an issue of trying to reassure the public that Metrolink is safe -- they've had three major accidents resulting in a number of deaths, and they've only been around since 1991, so they need to show that they're actually doing something about this.

Coincidentally, Metrolink's operations contract with Veolia is about to expire, and they're switching to Amtrak, rather than re-hiring Veolia.

You mean switching back to Amtrak as they ran it before Veolia

• 13 years later...

Hello! I apologize for the FOURTEEN Year Bump in this thread! However, the Metrolink page is in a serious need of updates:

F59PHRs, 852 is now retired due to mechanical failures, 856, 861, 868 and 873 are back in service

A couple of MP36PHs are retired from the active fleet and are stored dead at the yard

Several Former Bombardier Cab Cars are now converted Coaches with the “Ribbon” scheme and one with the new “Metrolink Logo"

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: So one former cab car has been spotted in the new Metrolink scheme with the blue and light blue scheme arriving on the Southwest Chief. 

F125’s 926 and 929 are using the Nathan K3L as backup horns

If anyone can update the Metrolink page to include the new Arrow service with the Stadler FLIRTs that would be great. It’s long outdated

• Thanks 1