Foothill Transit (CA) to receive NABI 42-BRTs

I came across this article in Foothill Transit's monthly newsletter, "Footnotes", last week. Foothill will be receiving a number of NABI 42-BRTs (possibly CNG, I'm not sure) later this spring, with redesigned seats.

foothillarticle.jpg

They look nice, that's for sure. I wonder what the seats will be like (the article stated that the seats will receive a massive redesign, although it didn't say what that entailed.)

If they're replacing the Gillig Advantages, then those will be very attractive secondhand buses if they're resold -- only 9 years old, if I'm not mistaken. It would be interesting if Torrance Transit could use them (they have an all-Gillig fleet, including some older Phantoms that need replacement soon.)

Hmm, I was on one of these yesterday and the driver had told me that they've had nothing but problems with these busses. His (4201) had been stalling all day and had already gone back to NABI once.

I'm not even sure Torrance would be allowed to buy the second hand diesel busses?

I'm not even sure Torrance would be allowed to buy the second hand diesel busses?

I thought the restriction was on new purchases only (as LADOT was able to buy at least one secondhand RTS from LACMTA), but I'd have to read the law itself to come to a conclusion.

I'm not sure they'd be interested in 40ft busses as they're gearing up to purchase new busses from New Flyer. However, they may be interested if Foothill wanted to get rid of the 30ft Advantages, they haven't had a bus smaller than 40ft since they got rid of the Gillig Spirits. But that's probably unlikely since Foothill is getting the NABI 42's, so they'll probably be replacing/adding to the 40ft fleet.

By the way, does anyone know if a transit agency can apply for a waiver to buy a new diesel bus?

Edit: I forgot to mention that 4201 didn't have the cord to request a stop, but instead had buttons on the poles. Additionally the lights inside the bus seem to be a thinner florescent light, one is already broken on the driver side at the very back.

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread...

Metro Magazine article

MET8Biz-NABIFull.jpg

West Covina, Calif.-based Foothill Transit is placing 30 new North American Bus Industries (NABI) 42-foot bus rapid transit (BRT) buses into service in key areas of the San Gabriel and Pomona Valleys, east of Los Angeles.

The buses feature low floors for quick, easy boarding, disc brakes, LED lighting and automatic next-stop announcements.

With more than 300 buses deployed from multiple operating divisions, Foothill Transit covers 327 square miles and transports 15 million passengers annually throughout the eastern part of Los Angeles County. In 2002, Foothill introduced the use of compressed natural gas (CNG) fuel. And now, including its 30 new 42-foot BRTs, more than 80 percent of Foothill's fleet uses clean CNG fuel.

The paint scheme looks a bit different than the initial rendering -- more like Foothill's existing 60-BRTs. I like the way that they're painting the top half of the front door black, to blend in with the frameless windows.

It's now confirmed that these buses will be numbered in the F1700 series, and that they're ordering 30 (not 40.) I'll make the changes on the wiki to reflect that.

• Board Admin

Oops, I think I beat you to adding some info - thanks for correcting the fleet numbers! I agree that I like the door painted black too. Wonder why they didn't continue to the front. Oh well, I think it looks good as is!

Do you know what propulsion system those have? Or do you just have the info from that article as well?

Do you know what propulsion system those have? Or do you just have the info from that article as well?

Unfortunately, I don't know what propulsion they're using -- it obviously isn't the same as LACMTA's 42-BRTs, as those are gasoline-electric and Foothill's are CNG.

I welcome the design of ANY transit bus we got running here up in Canada now over that thing! Thank god NABI is not in Canada!

To be fair, the photo is squished a bit, making the bus appear narrower than it truly is. But to each his own.

• 4 weeks later...
Wonderful pics.

I see that they don't have the front wheels covered---unlike their LACMTA twins.

I assume that when you say "LACMTA twins", you refer to the 60 BRT's (pictured below) - correct?

These buses never had the front wheels covered merely because their turning radius would be severely limited.

Very shortly, you will see the disappearance of all wheel covers on L.A. 60 BRT's due to time consumption in wheel changing and the continuous dings and outright rip offs they receive in traffic.

Also, all first generation NABI's are in the process of having their driver's outside rear view mirrors raised to the tops of the windows because of like damages.

Now, about this Foothill NABI 42;

If they had a TV show called 'America's Ugliest Bus' - you guessed it! - this NABI would take first prize (unless, of course, the photo is distorted!).

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

NABILA5.jpg