Metro Transit

SMS

• 3 weeks later...

The 2007 RTS spec hybrids are starting to retire, in addition to the two on auction 7113 also appeared to be in sell-off state at South:

49343868026_a1922810fe_t.jpg 49343867406_d80692627f_t.jpg

I'm guessing with the hybrids they want to be rid of them as soon as feasible, instead of pushing them to 14 years like the diesels. Plus if those batteries are shot then it would be foolish to replace them for just an extra year of standby service. The two listed are gutted and scrap though, so not sure.

3105 - 5FYD2NU093U025849

3139 - 5FYD2NU093U026029

3201 - 5FYD6YU016B029948

7110 - 15GGD301671077871

7114 - 15GGD301371077875

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some questions for the Minneapolis area wiki editors:

• My understanding is that all of the D4500's that were running under contractors are now operated by Metro Transit. Perhaps it makes sense to move these to the retired MTS list and the active Metro Transit list.
  • I seem to recall that 60036-60039 and 60044 were renumbered from Metro Transit's Gillig LF fleet, but it's very likely that I am misremembering, and these buses were delivered directly to MTS - any way to confirm either way?
  • Are the 2600s transferred from Plymouth Metrolink to MTS still in operation? How about 6046-6049 D40LFs?
  • The list I am using has 3 2015 Glaval Universals and 24 2018 Glaval Universals in operation for MTS. Any idea on fleet #s?
  • The list I am using also shows 13 2016 Gillig LF 30' and 6 2016 Gillig LF 40' buses. I put the number ranges as 60101-60113 and 60114-60119, respectively. I know that Plymouth has a 60100, so I am assuming that this is the numbering.
  • I have updated the Plymouth list according to the roster. I have yet to update the SouthWest Transit, MVTA, Maple Grove, and University of MN rosters, nor the Transit Link, Metro Mobility, or Vanpool rosters. FYI, the roster I am using is missing fleet numbers. It has a lot of other main attributes of the bus, however.

All of the information is coming from FTA's 2018 Annual Database Revenue Vehicle Inventory:

https://www.transit.dot.gov/ntd/data-product/2018-annual-database-revenue-vehicle-inventory

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tcmetro said:

Some questions for the Minneapolis area wiki editors:

• My understanding is that all of the D4500's that were running under contractors are now operated by Metro Transit. Perhaps it makes sense to move these to the retired MTS list and the active Metro Transit list.
  • I seem to recall that 60036-60039 and 60044 were renumbered from Metro Transit's Gillig LF fleet, but it's very likely that I am misremembering, and these buses were delivered directly to MTS - any way to confirm either way?
  • Are the 2600s transferred from Plymouth Metrolink to MTS still in operation? How about 6046-6049 D40LFs?
  • The list I am using has 3 2015 Glaval Universals and 24 2018 Glaval Universals in operation for MTS. Any idea on fleet #s?
  • The list I am using also shows 13 2016 Gillig LF 30' and 6 2016 Gillig LF 40' buses. I put the number ranges as 60101-60113 and 60114-60119, respectively. I know that Plymouth has a 60100, so I am assuming that this is the numbering.
  • I have updated the Plymouth list according to the roster. I have yet to update the SouthWest Transit, MVTA, Maple Grove, and University of MN rosters, nor the Transit Link, Metro Mobility, or Vanpool rosters. FYI, the roster I am using is missing fleet numbers. It has a lot of other main attributes of the bus, however.

All of the information is coming from FTA's 2018 Annual Database Revenue Vehicle Inventory:

https://www.transit.dot.gov/ntd/data-product/2018-annual-database-revenue-vehicle-inventory

• Yes, all the D4500s are operating under Metro Transit.
  • No, 60036-60039 and 60044 were never renumbered. All are assigned to East Garage
  • Yes, the 2600s are still in operation and operate on Met Council regional routes operated by First Transit (both Blaine and Minneapolis bases), and so are the 6046 series D40LFs
  • I think the Ford/Glavals have fleet numbers that begin with 643xx, at least the 2018 ones. I've seen 64331-64333 out and about
  • Yes, I believe that is correct. 60101-60113 are all assigned to Schmitty and Sons (I think, some might be assigned to First Transit) and 60114-60119 are assigned to First Transit Minneapolis and commonly run on the 670/671 (I've seen them run on the 30 before)
  • Cool! Just a heads-up MVTA has 3 new buses that went into service last year and have some more coming. Maple Grove also received new buses recently (60125 and up). Also, Midwest Paratransit is being released from their TransitLink Hennepin County contract in March, with First Transit assuming operations.
  • Like 1

Was poking around the RFP section and stumbled upon this: https://vw.questcdn.com/questvw/action/pdfViewer?jobNo=6635747&itemIndex=0&page=1

MTS put out an RFP looking for contractors to operate the 16, 67, 84, 801, 805, and 831 routes. 16 and 84 are currently operated by Metropolitan Transportation Network, while the 801, 805, and 831 are operated by First Transit. The 67 is operated in-house by Metro Transit and is based at East and Nicollet. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:55 PM, Tcmetro said:

Dang! Nice find TC! I remember MnDot used to have something similar but when they redesigned their website a while back I was unable to locate the files.

I've saved a copy myself and will have a go at updating Mankato, Rochester, and a few other US operators I have some knowledge of.

60036-60039, 44 entered service with Lorenz as MTS units originally and then transferred to Metro when they took over the odd runs on 62 and 80 got re-assigned in a new contract to First.

11 hours ago, hp2ena said:

Was poking around the RFP section and stumbled upon this: https://vw.questcdn.com/questvw/action/pdfViewer?jobNo=6635747&itemIndex=0&page=1

MTS put out an RFP looking for contractors to operate the 16, 67, 84, 801, 805, and 831 routes. 16 and 84 are currently operated by Metropolitan Transportation Network, while the 801, 805, and 831 are operated by First Transit. The 67 is operated in-house by Metro Transit and is based at East and Nicollet. 

Very interesting. IIRC MTN got the 16 and 84 on a trial contract basis. There was that audit of MTN a few months ago that found a lot of issues, so I wouldn't call them a shoo-in. From the plan holders list it looks like there's going to be some competition on this one. Coach USA, Transdev, First, Schmitty, Lorenz, MV and Voigts. Granted downloading docs doesn't mean they'll bid. I hope it can stay local though. :)

9 hours ago, MVTArider said:

Dang! Nice find TC! I remember MnDot used to have something similar but when they redesigned their website a while back I was unable to locate the files.

I've saved a copy myself and will have a go at updating Mankato, Rochester, and a few other US operators I have some knowledge of.

60036-60039, 44 entered service with Lorenz as MTS units originally and then transferred to Metro when they took over the odd runs on 62 and 80 got re-assigned in a new contract to First.

Very interesting. IIRC MTN got the 16 and 84 on a trial contract basis. There was that audit of MTN a few months ago that found a lot of issues, so I wouldn't call them a shoo-in. From the plan holders list it looks like there's going to be some competition on this one. Coach USA, Transdev, First, Schmitty, Lorenz, MV and Voigts. Granted downloading docs doesn't mean they'll bid. I hope it can stay local though. :)

Where did you find that audit? Can you post it here?

I do believe this is the case. Looks like SamTrans received the last NABI 436s in 2002, and Port Authority of Alleghany County got the last Neoplan AN460s in 2005. I recall talk of NYCMTA looking for high floor artics after 2004 on Buschat. New Flyer wouldn't do a new contract for them, but Metro Transit was able to get the 2006 order as it was an option on a preexisting order. 

Hi Minnesotans,

I’m planning a road trip out to the central-northern Plains region and though Minneapolis is a bit of a diversion from my path, I’m willing to make it for a few D60s and Gillig Phantoms. Will any have a chance of being in service come July 2020 or should I just bypass Minn. and return at a later date?

FWIW, are there any other buses (new or old) that may be of interest in Minneapolis or the entirety of Minnesota? I combed through the wiki and the D60s and Phantoms were all i could come up with, but if anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears.

Thanks

On 1/16/2020 at 3:17 PM, hp2ena said:

DD 6V92TA and I were talking about the 2006 D60s and wondered if they were indeed the last high-floor artics ever built in North America. We can't seem to think of any hi-floor artics built after that. 

I don’t know what’s going on in Mexico but at least in the states + Canada, those are definitely the last

5 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Hi Minnesotans,

I’m planning a road trip out to the central-northern Plains region and though Minneapolis is a bit of a diversion from my path, I’m willing to make it for a few D60s and Gillig Phantoms. Will any have a chance of being in service come July 2020 or should I just bypass Minn. and return at a later date?

FWIW, are there any other buses (new or old) that may be of interest in Minneapolis or the entirety of Minnesota? I combed through the wiki and the D60s and Phantoms were all i could come up with, but if anyone has any suggestions I’m all ears.

Thanks

I don’t know what’s going on in Mexico but at least in the states + Canada, those are definitely the last

2020 is the last definite year that the D60s will be in service. Get them while they're still around. All of the active D60s operate out of MJ Ruter and serve express routes that serve the North and Northwestern suburbs. They will also likely be on the 5 on the 2nd State Fair Saturday. Not sure about the Phantoms, but they will likely be out again this summer. Aside from the two, you might also want to ride the XE60s as well. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, hp2ena said:

2020 is the last definite year that the D60s will be in service. Get them while they're still around. All of the active D60s operate out of MJ Ruter and serve express routes that serve the North and Northwestern suburbs

Well it's encouraging at least to see that it looks like there aren't any articulated bus orders due before July 2020 (Assuming the D Line XD60 options are only exercised once the D Line is ready to open). Really as long as any number is in revenue service (NOT the fair) I'll be happy.

but they will likely be out again this summer

As part of the fair stuff or in revenue service?

Aside from the two, you might also want to ride the XE60s as well. 

Good idea, I completely forgot about those.

-----

Thank you for the advice by the way. I'll probably end up stopping by as long as I don't see too many D60 auction links being posted here lol

^ During the State Fair in late August would be the best time to spot any remaining Phantoms or D60 out and about. Yes they may run some on the Fair shuttles, but the majority this past Fair seemed to run on peak period revenue service while newer (probably more reliable) equipment ran on the all day Fair shuttle services.

If you aren't here during the Fair however there will likely still be a couple of the 32xx D60 on the express routes, they seem to pop up on the 850 branches.

In addition to the Xe60 on C Line, you may also want to swing by the U of MN as they're likely be a Van Hool A300L or two on the 121 and possibly the 122 even during the summer break.

Otherwise just checking out the bus action on the MARQ2 corridor in downtown Minneapolis during the weekday AM and PM rush hours is always interesting. Yesh it's mostly MCI D4500 and 20 flavors of Gillig Low Floor / BRT, but it is an interesting sight anyways from an operational perspective.

---

In LRT news Metro Transit is getting new high rez cameras with livestream capability installed on all trains. This will allow transit control to better monitor the service and respond to crimes and incidents more efficiently. Council Presentation PDF

There was also recently a RFP for replacement seat inserts for all the LRV as they are planning to transition from the current upholstered seat panels to solid panels.

They do already have a few cars with solid panel inserts for testing. I barely ride the LRT lines though so haven't had the opportunity to see one myself.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MVTArider said:

If you aren't here during the Fair however there will likely still be a couple of the 32xx D60 on the express routes, they seem to pop up on the 850 branches

Yeah this is going to be my situation. I guess I’ll be staking out in Downtown Minneapolis. University starts when the fair happens so I can only go in July. Not ideal but it is what it is and as long as at least one 2006 shows up, I’ll be good.

In addition to the Xe60 on C Line, you may also want to swing by the U of MN as they're likely be a Van Hool A300L or two on the 121 and possibly the 122 even during the summer break

Not a huge fan of the van fools but for variety’s sake they seem like a fun hour long activity at least.  Hopefully the AG300s are out; but i could easily settle for an a300L

Otherwise just checking out the bus action on the MARQ2 corridor in downtown Minneapolis during the weekday AM and PM rush hours is always interesting. Yesh it's mostly MCI D4500 and 20 flavors of Gillig Low Floor / BRT, but it is an interesting sight anyways from an operational perspective

Yeah, I’m largely consigned to just dealing with the normal buses at this point. “Old” or “rare” buses aside, it’s always great to get out and visit and experience another city and transit agency, even if it comes in the form of a Gillig milk crate. Thanks for the advice; I think I can put something good together everything considered.

• 3 weeks later...

Crime aboard the buses and trains has been in the news a lot lately. Sadly it has been an increasing issue in recent weeks.

Just a few hours ago two people were shot on board a C Line bus downtown, 1 dead, 1 in critical condition. The suspect is in custody: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/02/06/minneapolis-police-1-dead-after-double-shooting-in-downtown/

A few weeks previous an individual was stabbed to death on a Blue Line train following an earlier altercation: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/01/23/1-dead-following-stabbing-on-blue-line-train/

These sort of events, along with various media reports and various complaints from constituents has gotten the attention of the state legislature.

Lawmakers proposing new oversight to Met Council to combat crime on light rail system - KSTP

MN Legislators propose change to improve Metro Transit experience for riders - KSTP

• Sad 1

On 2/7/2020 at 12:45 AM, MVTArider said:

Crime aboard the buses and trains has been in the news a lot lately. Sadly it has been an increasing issue in recent weeks.

Just a few hours ago two people were shot on board a C Line bus downtown, 1 dead, 1 in critical condition. The suspect is in custody: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/02/06/minneapolis-police-1-dead-after-double-shooting-in-downtown/

A few weeks previous an individual was stabbed to death on a Blue Line train following an earlier altercation: https://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2020/01/23/1-dead-following-stabbing-on-blue-line-train/

These sort of events, along with various media reports and various complaints from constituents has gotten the attention of the state legislature.

Lawmakers proposing new oversight to Met Council to combat crime on light rail system - KSTP

MN Legislators propose change to improve Metro Transit experience for riders - KSTP

There is a House hearing this Thursday at the Capitol at 12:45pm about this bill. 

I am in the process of mining links of old auction listings and adding them to the Wiki. Along the way, based on information here, I've been able to identify some of the bidders for the auctions and am slowly updating their dispositions as I happen upon them. 

One question: does anyone know where Metro Transit buses generally go to get scrapped? I noticed that the buses that have been parted out tend to go to one bidder in particular (6198). I seem to recall seeing photos of old Metro Transit buses at a scrap yard in Owatonna. Are they usually scrapped in Owatonna?

Meanwhile, if anyone wants to help, I can outline some basic instructions. Basically, all listings are posted in sequential order, and the earliest I was able to find (https://minnbid.org/Mobile/AuctionLot/442) dates back to 2008. From there, start moving one up in sequential order, and if you find a listing that involves a bus, archive it, and put the archive link in the resulting status page. 

• Like 2

On 2/15/2020 at 3:53 PM, hp2ena said:

I just went by Heywood. 7111, 7113, 7121, 7122, 7123, 7124, 7127, and 4 additional units are parked at the Annex lot. Not sure if they're retired or in contingency. 

I have to wonder how well hybrids do in mothballed status, I would think the batteries would drain after not running for an extended period. I guess we'll just have to keep watching Minn Bid.

---

Route changes are up already for March 14th. One of the big ones that will affect hundreds if not thousands of riders is the 54. Almost all 54 service to the airport will be suspended when hwy 5 reconstruction starts. Due to hwy 5 being restricted or completely shut down depending on the construction phase the 54 will run regular to 7th/Maynard, then detour to American Blvd. via Shepard, I35E, I494. Obviously MT needs to work with what they get so I understand their revised service plan. If late night Blue Line service is still routinely delayed as it was a couple years ago when I was riding regularly those transfers between train from MSP to 54 EB at American Blvd. are gonna suck.

https://www.metrotransit.org/routes-will-change-march-14

Three more popped up on Minnbid today:

All 3 are being stored at Overhaul Base.

I was going through the VINs for the series and noticed that the VINs aren't in sequential order (7121 is the 1st bus in the VIN series). Is 7121 ex-RGRTA 901?

12 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

I believe the 2007 Gillig Hybrids were RGRTA rejects. It's possible that they were numbered for RGRTA and renumbered nonsequentially for Metro Transit. 

All of the hybrids have sequential VINS except for 7121, which has a VIN that comes before 7110. I was told the only hybrid that made it out was 901. Could 7121 be ex-901?

Some updates for next Monday's Transportation Committee meeting:

I noticed this in the March 14 service change GTFS, routes 415, 452, and 664 are becoming contract routes. Checking the new schedules, it shows that the contractor will be First Transit out of the Como garage. 

The transportation committee also had a work plan for this year, and it suggests that the new route 323 will be a contract route. The CMAQ change requests show that it will use 30' buses.