Freedom Transit (YATA-Rabbit Transit)

map.man (Darrin)

After a brief visit to Gettysburg last weekend to see the end of the 150th anniversary of Lincolns reading of the Gettysburg Address, I was a little disappointed to see that the York Adams Transportation Authority (YATA) is taking public comment on the possible elimination of the few years old (relatively new) Freedom Transit system in the Gettysburg borough.

I noticed that they only operate a few routes, but have been noted as being very capable of transporting quite a few residents and the visiting public during this years' festivities.

Interesting to note, they also operate fare-free, with service subsidized by the Gettysburg Foundation as well as Gettysburg College.

A couple years ago, the Rabbit Express subsidiary of YATA also began service directly from Gettysburg to Harrisburg during peak commuting hours, with buses returning on a schedule to and from Gettysburg as a sort of "reverse" commute option....would be perfect for visitors, since Greyhound, Martz and other Trailways operators don't service Gettyburg on any line run.

I never had the opportunity to use the service as of yet, but was happy to know it existed if I needed it due to a problem with transportation. I wouldn't exactly be "locked" in or out of there.

Any thoughts on this from others?

I personally think it would be sad to see a service so young not be able to make it work.

The link to their posting is here: http://www.rabbittransit.org/Home/PublicCommentInfo.aspx

"Freedom Transit has seen double digit increases each year since its inception in 2009 when it began as a three-year demonstration project, part of a Transit in the Parks initiative. It has grown by 76.7% from 2012 to 2013 and provided more than 67,000 trips during the 10-day period this summer for the Gettysburg 150thcommemoration events."

Adams County Commissioners need to step up and commit just $$22,139 more! This would access $938,809 in combined state and federal funds. If they allow this to happen I'm guessing its Tea Party affiliated Commissioners at work.

Well, it happened.

What a shame.

I'm curious what this holds for the rest of that region regarding multi-agency agreements.

BARTA and Lebanon Transit just started a cooperative service between Reading, Lebanon and Harrisburg, with coordinated schedules...taking over services that would have otherwise been abandoned when Bieber Tours pulled out of the line-run business in that corridor.

Well, it happened.

What a shame.

I'm curious what this holds for the rest of that region regarding multi-agency agreements.

BARTA and Lebanon Transit just started a cooperative service between Reading, Lebanon and Harrisburg, with coordinated schedules...taking over services that would have otherwise been abandoned when Bieber Tours pulled out of the line-run business in that corridor.

Is Bieber still around? I heard they were in trouble earlier this year.

From the looks of it, it's a lot less from where and what they had previously operated.

Looks like Bieber's focus cities are Philadelphia, Reading, New York, and the Allentown/Bethlehem area. They also service some of the smaller cities like Wescosville, Hellertown, and Kutztown.

Some of their previous services, IF I recall correctly, are now operated by Fullington Autobus (Trailways), which really did an expansion footprint further east in Pennsylvania.

Interestingly enough, it also appears that Greyhound doesn't show any interline service from Scranton to Baltimore or Washington via Harrisburg on their printed schedules of table 174, although it's still showing on their route map. The line is truncated to operate Harrisburg > Washington now.

Fullington operates the line-run service from Harrisburg to Scranton now.

From the looks of it, it's a lot less from where and what they had previously operated.

Looks like Bieber's focus cities are Philadelphia, Reading, New York, and the Allentown/Bethlehem area. They also service some of the smaller cities like Wescosville, Hellertown, and Kutztown.

Some of their previous services, IF I recall correctly, are now operated by Fullington Autobus (Trailways), which really did an expansion footprint further east in Pennsylvania.

Interestingly enough, it also appears that Greyhound doesn't show any interline service from Scranton to Baltimore or Washington via Harrisburg on their printed schedules of table 174, although it's still showing on their route map. The line is truncated to operate Harrisburg > Washington now.

Fullington operates the line-run service from Harrisburg to Scranton now.

If thats the case then thats why it shows on Greyhound's map since Trailways does interline/co share with them.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks as if YATA is trying to extend services on their Freedom Transit subsidiary at a special Board of Directors meeting on Monday, December 30.

Freedom Transit is expected to terminate all local bus services in the boro of Gettysburg on this date, and the Rabbit Express services from Gettysburg to Harrisburg this coming June, 2014.

Best of luck to the YATA board, and sincere hopes they will be able to either find the money, or convince Adams County legislators to find funding to continue service.

Excellent news on the Rabbit Transit website this afternoon...here's hoping that 6 months is enough time to find adequate funding.

Freedom Transit extends service until June 30, 2014

The Board of Directors passed a resolution to continue service for Freedom Transit until June 30, 2014. Due to the lack of municipal local match for state and federal grants, fixed route service in Adams County will end June 30, 2014.

A sustainability committee has been established to attempt to identify long-term local match resources. Interested parties should contact info@rabbittransit.org for more information.