TTC Application Process

ericgu22

I am unable to print the email they sent me for the interview, in the email it states that i must print the email and bring it with me on my interview. Since i dont have an access right now, will they make it a big deal if i failed to print the email?

35 minutes ago, 1stklas said:

I am unable to print the email they sent me for the interview, in the email it states that i must print the email and bring it with me on my interview. Since i dont have an access right now, will they make it a big deal if i failed to print the email?

Do exactly what they tell you. Print it at a library if you must.

2 hours ago, 1stklas said:

Yes, if you don't do exactly what they have asked of you, it could mean the difference between you getting the job or not. Follow every instruction given to a T.

I got 2 managers at work. The head manager I'm not sure about using but the assistant manager says he has no problem being my reference. Not sure what to do, especially if they're asking for direct supervisor as reference. Need advice. 

21 hours ago, Mrsb2you said:

You get your divisions welcome guide with routes, emergency info, codes etc etc  spareboard is back up per say when someone books off calls in etc so you can get some good work from the senior ops that took the day, when you pick a crew you do the same thing depending on the crew ( some are swing where it changes ) yes you do the same thing every weekday, your sat work is pre closen based on your crew choice and Sunday you select it's easy once you get used to it .. Focus on the shadowing if you have not done that and the rest will follow 

You're at Wilson, right? Could you please tell me what kind of crew is considered good work that attracts senior ops? Is it the quieter routes like 42 and 169 or something else?

1 hour ago, dayone said:

You're at Wilson, right? Could you please tell me what kind of crew is considered good work that attracts senior ops? Is it the quieter routes like 42 and 169 or something else?

senior ops are everywhere .... really boils down to how much the work pays, you will find them there. 10, 125 are a few more 

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 0:47 PM, Mrsb2you said:

Anything is possible it depends on how much you really want it. I went from office work to bring an operator , I have Young kids , my husbands an operator .. You can make it work :) 

Thank you. This is the kind of response that makes me feel I am in the right direction. Once again Thank you.

Alright guys for those who attended June 21st info session I got an email yesterday to attend my interview on the 5th. I will be doing job shadowing the weekend (July 30th for the late night) and Friday (July 29th for downtown streetcar) if anybody is interested to join we can work it out.

Anyone from the west end of the city who has done the job shadowing can you tell me how did you do it interms of scheduling/routing the job shadowing just so you don't waste too much of time going here and there taking transfers.

2 hours ago, afk1975 said:

Alright guys for those who attended June 21st info session I got an email yesterday to attend my interview on the 5th. I will be doing job shadowing the weekend (July 30th for the late night) and Friday (July 29th for downtown streetcar) if anybody is interested to join we can work it out.

Good luck! When I did my shadowing assignment the night routes had interesting personalities. There is a longer wait time for streetcars at night so make sure you plan for that. Plan the route in advance and bring enough snacks. I started at 1.30 and didn't get home until 4.30 because the streetcar was late and the Yonge bus was packed.

14 hours ago, Mrsb2you said:

senior ops are everywhere .... really boils down to how much the work pays, you will find them there. 10, 125 are a few more 

Are you talking about routes with lots of overtime?

3 hours ago, leylandvictory2 said:

169 is definitely a senior route.  Back when it was at Eglinton, it is first to go.  I only got it through swing crew (only one day argh).

That's cool how you got to operate it!

2 hours ago, dayone said:

Are you talking about routes with lots of overtime?

That's cool how you got to operate it!

Mrsb2you was referring to the crew value. Some crews pay more than others. Smallest ones usually pay 8 hours straight whereas larger ones can pay you 11 hours and more.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RocketPilot said:

Hi, thought I'd introduce myself. Was recently hired as a transit operator. Went through orientation and am currently awaiting my first day of training which starts in August.

Welcome! Which division and mode?

3 hours ago, TTCOpITM said:

Mrsb2you was referring to the crew value. Some crews pay more than others. Smallest ones usually pay 8 hours straight whereas larger ones can pay you 11 hours and more.

Sorry, I thought the maximum was eight. Doing 11+ hours for 6 weeks is tough!

14 hours ago, afk1975 said:

Thank you. This is the kind of response that makes me feel I am in the right direction. Once again Thank you.

Anyone from the west end of the city who has done the job shadowing can you tell me how did you do it interms of scheduling/routing the job shadowing just so you don't waste too much of time going here and there taking transfers.

That weekend is caribana weekend and will be a hot mess on the 320 . If the routes are still 1 east one west, etc take one where the line meets a station with east and west routes like wilson or Yorkmills

16 hours ago, afk1975 said:

Take the 300 across Bloor to Yonge then 320 down to Queen and then the Queen car back west.....and your done 3.

1 hour ago, Mrsb2you said:

That weekend is caribana weekend and will be a hot mess on the 320 . If the routes are still 1 east one west, etc take one where the line meets a station with east and west routes like wilson or Yorkmills

Best work during Caribana is the extra shuttles but any route that conects to them sucks that weekend.

16 hours ago, Betablocker said:

Good luck! When I did my shadowing assignment the night routes had interesting personalities. There is a longer wait time for streetcars at night so make sure you plan for that. Plan the route in advance and bring enough snacks. I started at 1.30 and didn't get home until 4.30 because the streetcar was late and the Yonge bus was packed.

Yeah I have planned it accordingly... Thanks for the heads up.

1 minute ago, TTCOpITM said:

With most crews you'll be at work for more than 8 hours except for specials, where you work less than 8 hours but get paid for 8.

If your not doing night bus right off the start then be prepared for big splits. Work 4 off 4 and back work another 4. It doesn't make for an easy social or family life. Add in any commute, sleep, etc...and it doesn't leave time for much else.