Winnipeg Transit Handi-Transit

transit boy

• 2 weeks later...
Just a note, Winnipeg Transit doesn't actually own these buses.

Really? How so? These newer ones have "handi-transit" stamped on the sides and with a large Winnipeg Transit logo on each side. There's something different about these newer Arbocs

True though, many Handi-Transit vehicles are not owned by Transit, but rather private owners.

Really? How so? These newer ones have "handi-transit" stamped on the sides and with a large Winnipeg Transit logo on each side. There's something different about these newer Arbocs

True though, many Handi-Transit vehicles are not owned by Transit, but rather private owners.

Exactly, they're owned by a private company.

Exactly, they're owned by a private company.

Yeah... which the owner's company name would be put on the vehicle. For example a van with "Bob's Transport" along with their logo and phone number would be put on it, as well as a small sticker with an older orange Flying T transit logo reading Handi-Transit.

I wish I got a photo to show you... the newer ones Dont have any company names on it, but rather several large Newer Blue Flying T logos along with "Handi-Transit" in a large font on each side as well as a 5 digit fleet number. [perhaps it's four digits, just go a glimpse of a few] Other than that, It's plain white. I will try to get a photo the next time I see one and the lighting is good... This is the first time seeing one.

Winnipeg Transit has contracted out all Handi-Transit service since June 16, 1996. No Handi-Transit vehicles are owned or operated by Winnipeg Transit. A good number of the contracted vehicles are owned and operated by First Transit and that may be who owns those Arboc's (although I haven't noticed them out there yet).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I think they put Winnipeg Transit logos on them so that we (WTS drivers) can be blamed for anything that happens with HandiTransit. Plus it gives WTS the ability to add more "Complaints are up this year" comments in the media. They seem to enjoy bragging about the number of complaints they get

• 7 months later...
Too bad we dont have any regular-fleet Arbocs. Could order lets say... 4, and test them on 4 different routes:

- 24 between 7 pm to End of Service

- Dart 101

- 98 and

- 82?

I don't think Winnipeg Transit would be for that. They are moving to an all New Flyer fleet, in order to stock more parts for one kind of bus, instead of having many different parts different buses. If anything, they would buy D30LFRs', or something smaller, if New Flyer built a cutaway style vehical.

I don't think Winnipeg Transit would be for that. They are moving to an all New Flyer fleet, in order to stock more parts for one kind of bus, instead of having many different parts different buses. If anything, they would buy D30LFRs', or something smaller, if New Flyer built a cutaway style vehical.

Oh! Speaking of which, have they constructed a D30LFR yet?

I think they put Winnipeg Transit logos on them so that we (WTS drivers) can be blamed for anything that happens with HandiTransit. Plus it gives WTS the ability to add more "Complaints are up this year" comments in the media. They seem to enjoy bragging about the number of complaints they get

Join the club.

• 1 month later...
I think Handi-Transit has some new buses I seen one numbered 14xx down portage?

Where do they keep the Handi-Transit buses?

I find it to be "Captain Obvious-like" that they put "Urban Transit" on the side. Pretty sure Winnipeg Transit MEANS Winnipeg...

As for where they keep the buses, thats a good question!