The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

Metro (one of the big three grocery store chains in Canada) - is making a grand departure from the long time loyalty rewards program, Air Miles later this year. This marks the loss of a major grocery store partner since BMO (Bank of Montreal - one of the big five (plus one) banks in Canada) bought Air Miles last year from LoyaltyOne (a company which filed for bankruptcy last year). 

That announcement comes when Metro is expanding it's Quebec-exclusive program, "Moi" into Ontario. At the same time, the "Moi" rewards program is going to be offered at Food Basics in Ontario.

Over the years, Air Miles had lost a variety of retail partners. We saw that LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) has joined Aeroplan for it's rewards partner to Sobeys offering Scene+. Most recently, Petro-Canada (a gas station chain in Canada) has partnered with Canadian Tire on offering Triangle Rewards members to earn Triangle Rewards at Petro-Canada, while Petro-Canada allows Petro-Points customers to earn at Canadian Tire (or something like that).

Loyalty Rewards programs must find ways to stay revelant for customers of today's generation while balancing those who were long-time customers.

• 3 weeks later...

Galaxy Cinemas in Brockville, Ontario will be closing in July 2024 since they are not renewing the lease. The nearest theatres that handle first run releases is either in Kingston or Ottawa. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/galaxy-cinemas-in-brockville-ont-to-close-in-july-1.6883078

Final comments:

The big issue is decreasing demand for movie tickets. Depending on the film, the bigger theatres can still sell the format such as 4DX charging a much higher premium for the experience. Plus the contracts for the earnings of the film are pretty steep depending on how they are written regarding the take for the movie distributor and theatre depending on the week of release and time. 

Some people are willing to wait a few weeks to see it on a streaming service. I know I only see a movie if it is a blockbuster film like Mission Impossible. While others simply join CineClub receiving one free movie ticket a month with 20 percent off the concession stand. 

CineClub is $10/month or $110 for the year with a bonus 1,000 Scene points which the free ticket only covers a standard film. For a premium format, the fee difference applies. 

Tuesday is still the cheap day to see a film at Cineplex. If you want to avoid the rush of people wanting to see it on day one. 

The last film I have seen is Oppenheimer in 70 mm IMAX because of National Cinema Day which I only pay $4 for a movie ticket plus the $1 online booking fee. 

For me, I only see a film in the theatre once a year if any good releases happen. Bad Boys: Ride or Die is the next film that I plan on watching. 

17 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Galaxy Cinemas in Brockville, Ontario will be closing in July 2024 since they are not renewing the lease. The nearest theatres that handle first run releases is either in Kingston or Ottawa. 

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/galaxy-cinemas-in-brockville-ont-to-close-in-july-1.6883078

Final comments:

The big issue is decreasing demand for movie tickets. Depending on the film, the bigger theatres can still sell the format such as 4DX charging a much higher premium for the experience. Plus the contracts for the earnings of the film are pretty steep depending on how they are written regarding the take for the movie distributor and theatre depending on the week of release and time. 

Some people are willing to wait a few weeks to see it on a streaming service. I know I only see a movie if it is a blockbuster film like Mission Impossible. While others simply join CineClub receiving one free movie ticket a month with 20 percent off the concession stand. 

CineClub is $10/month or $110 for the year with a bonus 1,000 Scene points which the free ticket only covers a standard film. For a premium format, the fee difference applies. 

Tuesday is still the cheap day to see a film at Cineplex. If you want to avoid the rush of people wanting to see it on day one. 

The last film I have seen is Oppenheimer in 70 mm IMAX because of National Cinema Day which I only pay $4 for a movie ticket plus the $1 online booking fee. 

For me, I only see a film in the theatre once a year if any good releases happen. Bad Boys: Ride or Die is the next film that I plan on watching. 

I thought discounted movies on Tuesdays are extinct, no?

Anyhoo, the other day - I went to a Canadian Tire gas station (and no, I don't drive but I paid the gas for my dad - in return of driving me around) and I heard that Canadian Tire gas stations now offer Petro-Points. I swiped my Petro-Points card at the pump and it accepted it.

Another thing is that if you have both a Triangle Rewards and a Petro-Points Rewards card, you can link those together and earn up to 20% more Petro-Points. What's more, after linking those rewards accounts - you can swipe either one at either a Petro-Canada or Canadian Tire gas station.

The other day, I was watching CityNews (the Toronto edition) and they recently revamped their news format and presentation.

Until recently, the anchor person stands at the studio but it changed to an anchor desk format (or something like that).

Also, the graphics/on-air branding had changed from blue to red. This is what I'm talking about: