The Random Thoughts Thread

buswizard

Another thought that just came to me recently:

Racial Profiling (coupled with Mistaken Identity and Discrimination for example) still continues to hurt everyone (and will be the norm) for the rest of our lives.

I've stumbled to upon reading a BlogTO article in which it shows a customer at a Shoppers Drug Mart store - and the store (along with their "security guard") allegedly accused him of stealing from their store.

Only problem is - that security guard misidentified that "Innocent" man as one of their own! Eventually, the store's manager intervened and apologized to the innocent customer - for simply a misunderstanding.

Further reading: 

https://www.blogto.com/city/2022/10/shoppers-drug-mart-racial-profiling-toronto-store-reciepts/

This brought me memories in which mall security stopped me for an unexplained reason back in 2011. They literally thought that I matched their description and they asked me for ID (which I complied). After a few embarrassing minutes in which mall security relays the details to their management and advise if I'm on their "records", I was free to go. Fearing retaliation by the mall security, I left the mall - "out of abundance of caution" (they may eventually file a "notice of trespass" (or a "Trespass to Property"  notice document) towards me - all simply because of mistaken identity).

I would have filed a complaint against not only the mall, but the security guards and their management as a result of that ordeal. Sadly, I didn't end up filing one as it was a waste of time. Had I went through that route, I would have been persistent.

A follow-up from my last post, it appears that the person behind the "embarassing incident" (which deemed to be discriminatory) has finally made a follow-up video about the aftermath and what the outcome resulted (spoiler alert: the case of "human error" does not sit well with the person): 
https://www.tiktok.com/@lewis.chia/video/7158180365234900230?is_from_webapp=v1&item_id=7158180365234900230

TD has (finally) phasing out their antiquated Mobile Payment app this month (for their customers in Canada). That particular app is designed for Android devices to may mobile payments linked to their TD Credit Card. 

To this day (and at the time of writing), TD is one of the last remaining holdouts - not offering Google Pay support (aside from offering Apple Pay and most recently (as of September 2021), Samsung Pay) for their customers in Canada.

This brings me memories when the Canadian province of Ontario didn't offer (until 2011) a photo identity card for people who don't drive. Will the treatment of that will apply similarly for TD (eventually) offering an option for customers with non-Samsung (but Android-powered) devices?

The simple answer to this is - I don't know.

10 hours ago, FutureHeartsJunkie said:

TD has (finally) phasing out their antiquated Mobile Payment app this month (for their customers in Canada).

Why finally, if they still refuse to make their cards compatible with Google Pay? As bad as the app was, it was the only solution.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, T3G said:

Why finally, if they still refuse to make their cards compatible with Google Pay? As bad as the app was, it was the only solution.

Excuse for the misunderstanding, but - it's an (eventual) sign that the bank I mentioned may (at some point) one day, provide an offering to accommodate the users with non-Samsung devices.

BMO is another bank similarly that doesn't over Samsung Pay (but still offers Google Pay).

• 2 weeks later...

It's a good thing that the big airport was built near Gander, Newfoundland instead of Dildo. While I suppose the locals from Dildo would have probably been as kind to the people whose flights were diverted on 9-11-01, I'm not sure if the music "Come From Away" would have been produced or had the same impact as it does in real life.

• Haha 2

My local station in Toronto, Canada called 98.1 CHFI - has decided to play all Christmas (I mean, holiday) music today.

At first, it may be too early for some but usually when the Toronto edition of the Santa Claus Parade takes place each year, the radio station has decided to get into the holiday spirit by airing Christmas music.

Speaking of the Santa Claus Parade, many communities are planning to hold (or have already held) those parades already. Some have brought back the in-person events - others have scaled down to a drive-thru (drive up) format.

Changing tunes (pun intended), FTX one of the cryptocurrency exchanges has (at the time of writing) filed for bankruptcy. Trading/selling crypto can be very risky (even with the regulatory insight).

• 2 weeks later...

Lately, every building I go into (in Canada), I found out that the "Green Running Man" Exit signs are an "emotional" fixture.

I'm more used to those Red (and sometimes Green) EXIT/SORTIE (or SORTIE/EXIT) signs that are frequently common.

What does everyone have to say about those? Any Thoughts?

On 11/17/2022 at 1:32 PM, 81-717 said:

Why is water boiling in a kettle so damn loud. I swear the whole damn neighborhood can hear you trying to sneak an extra cup of coffee for yourself 😂

I was having the same thought in the kitchen a few minutes ago.  I picked up a chill I couldn't get rid of so I was boiling the kettle to make some hot chocolate and the noise it was making buried the music that was drifting in from the living room.

The hot chocolate and bumping the thermostat up slightly have helped fix the chill.

• Like 2

RBC (one of the Big Five (plus one) banks in Canada) has announced that they will buy the Canadian operations of HSBC Bank. 

Over the years, many foreign banks who used to do business in Canada have been sold off for many reasons.

In this competitive market, banks have to find ways to appeal to their customers - especially newcomers.

Another random (but more financial-related) thought just now: Many banks (and credit unions) in Canada have started to phase out support for a service by  Interac (one of Canada's nationwide debit card network) called "Interac Online".

I remembered when Interac Online made it's debut back in early 2004 (although a few banks and credit unions in Canada had taken part in the service during its inception back then).

With the popularity of PayPal along with many banks/credit unions now offering VISA Debit and/or Debit MasterCard (the most recent addition is Simplii Financial now offering Debit MasterCard) coupled with those so called "Prepaid Credit Cards, the way we use our bank accounts to buy stuff online - has changed.

Anyone else prefer paper maps over digital maps?

Of course I'll use Google Maps to plan out travel and stuff, but when it comes to learning about a place, I much prefer sitting down and poring over an atlas. Not really a paper map, because those are a pain of biblical proportions to fold and unfold, but a proper book. A much better way of learning a place, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T3G said:

Anyone else prefer paper maps over digital maps?

I prefer paper route maps. When I first moved to Vancouver 11 years ago, a friend of mine printed out maps of all the trolley routes for me. I would ride a route end to end and follow it on the paper map as we went along. I could put a 'face' to the lines on the map and probably learned the routes in half the time it would have taken otherwise.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, captaintrolley said:

probably learned the routes in half the time it would have taken otherwise.

I feel like this about the places I have represented in the atlases I own. I bought a NYC street atlas a few weeks ago and I've learned more about the geography of the outer boroughs than I have in the 15 years I've been interested in NYC put together. I partially blame Google for making their maps as un-contrasty as possible, making it impossible to tell an arterial road from a side one, and making the thought of exploring the streets of the city (not on Streetview) hugely unappealing. Fortunately the paper map makers of the world haven't gotten the memo!

Another great thing about paper maps is it serves as a quasi-permanent archive of the way things were. When I was young and green, my parents got TTC ride guides which have somehow survived the purges of unneeded papers and such from over the years and are now in my collection. Trying to find old maps from that era could be difficult digitally, but I have them right there to refer to on paper. Paper all the way!

This is my current collection of atlases.

• Like 3

I really wished that Apple should introduce a new "call screening" feature - similar to what the Google Assistant offers for it's Pixel smartphones.

I have a Pixel 6 Pro and I took advantage of that feature. Whenever someone tried to scam me (or someone calls me from an unfamiliar number), I took action on screening that call. The good thing is that the assistant talks to the caller and advise them that "the caller is using a screening service from Google and may get a transcript of this call. Go ahead and why you're calling." (Or something like that).

It has options whether to take the call or even advised them to remove the number off the list.

While it may be useful, some people (and even businesses) have a "pet peeve" with that feature and why they have to go into this type of prompt.

20 minutes ago, Chris_the_traveller said:

I have a ton of old transit schedules and tickets that I don’t know what to do with. Mostly from the Montreal area. They are becoming clutter. Should I give away or swap with anyone for other cool transit paraphernalia? Or just toss.

There's an app (topic) for that..

https://cptdb.ca/topic/5161-buy-sell-trade/

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I really wished that Apple should offer a feature that allows callers to screen calls with the form of an Siri-like assistant.

This feature has been available for Google Pixel devices for a while now. I have the Pixel 6 Pro and I've been using that feature very well - when someone called me from a phone number that I'm not familiar with.

Whenever someone tries to call me, I summon the Call Screening feature on my Pixel phone. Sometimes, people can often get "peeved" by the feature because it's wasting their valuable time trying to get the caller directly - however I dispute that. It gives the caller more control on screening the calls.

I really also wished that the Call Screening feature found on the Pixel - should be available to all phones running Android.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2023 at 1:45 PM, J. S. Bach said:

I use an app called "Should I Answer", it works for me on a ZTE Android pnone.

I thought that ZTE devices (and equipment) are banned in the USA (along with Huawei).

Changing tones (pun intended), I really wished that the USA should enable "CHIP and PIN" transactions for their credit and debit cards.

We've been using them in Canada for many years and while the USA is catching up for secured payments, they still rely on the "CHIP and Sign" (aka "CHIP and Signature) for credit cards. Nowadays, they have recently jumped into the contactless bandwagon.