Possible retirement of a Burlington Classic

newflyerinvero

Just thought I'd post this topic up here just to give you all the heads up that there's a possibility of one of Burlington's 1985 Classics, 7008-84, may have been retired this past week by Burlington Transit.

A good friend of mine, who's also another fellow member of this board, BT Ultra LF, gave this information to me yesterday as he was at the Burlington Transit garage, organzing the floats for the Burlington Satna Claus Parade.

He had noticed that bus in the "Dead Line" there, missing an engine. Now seeing as I haven't seen this bus for many weeks now, close to a month and a half, I only assumed that it was getting maintaience done.

With it not having an engine in it, seems to me as if that this bus is the first of the 1985 Classics to go.

This possibly answers my question in wondering why the 78 GM Fishbowl had re-appeared into service back in October of this year, after many months of uncertainty, including possible retirement.

I am sure that many of us from this board, who will be attending the TTS charter, may get a first hand look at the 'retired' Classic and the Orion I as well. Questions will be answered, for sure. But for the time being, let's get some discussion going!

Additionally for those wondering, the Orion I is still active but in the garage. Perhaps this bus is only going to be used when it's aboslutely in need of it being on the road for service.

Just thought I'd post this topic up here just to give you all the heads up that there's a possibility of one of Burlington's 1985 Classics, 7008-84, may have been retired this past week by Burlington Transit.

A good friend of mine, who's also another fellow member of this board, BT Ultra LF, gave this information to me yesterday as he was at the Burlington Transit garage, organzing the floats for the Burlington Satna Claus Parade.

He had noticed that bus in the "Dead Line" there, missing an engine. Now seeing as I haven't seen this bus for many weeks now, close to a month and a half, I only assumed that it was getting maintaience done.

With it not having an engine in it, seems to me as if that this bus is the first of the 1985 Classics to go.

This possibly answers my question in wondering why the 78 GM Fishbowl had re-appeared into service back in October of this year, after many months of uncertainty, including possible retirement.

I am sure that many of us from this board, who will be attending the TTS charter, may get a first hand look at the 'retired' Classic and the Orion I as well. Questions will be answered, for sure. But for the time being, let's get some discussion going!

Additionally for those wondering, the Orion I is still active but in the garage. Perhaps this bus is only going to be used when it's aboslutely in need of it being on the road for service.

Thanks Nick!

Ok, and where is it sitting at? Are the license plate, farebox and radio still intact? There's a difference when location of the bus sits around the garage.

Ok, and where is it sitting at? Are the license plate, farebox and radio still intact? There's a difference when location of the bus sits around the garage.

When I saw the Classic, I was at the Transit Garage setting up for the Christmas Parade a couple of weekends ago. For the weekend, the trailers for the floats are stored in the garage where the buses usually go at night. When the floats are in the garage though, they park the buses outside in the yard and also put some of the older ones more likely to have trouble starting in the maintenance bays.

When I noticed the Classic (7008-84) without the engine, I was leaving and drove around the back of the garage. It was sitting in the area where the old Orion IIs used to sit before they were junked and near the area where the CNG equipment used to be. It was missing the entire engine compartment including engine, cover etc. I mentioned this to Nick and he posted it for me.

Since then however I am thinking that I thought of a possible reason/solution. Since the maintenance bays were filled with buses not needing maintenance but simply needing a wam place to stay the night they may have moved the Classic from there to free up the bays. One of the bays was filled with an Ultra LF that was being decorated by the transit staff so that one for sure wasn't there for maintenance. Also, when I was in the maintenance bays looking around I also noticed a giant V-6 that was clearly from an old bus (maybe a classic) It was on a dolly and obviously headed from or into a bus. So....my theory is that they were in the process of working on the engine when the parade weekend happened and they simply moved it outside and were going to move it back in afterwards. I am not sure though and I plan to head back to the garage to see if it is still outside...this will surely answer my questions.

Sorry for the long post but Nick assured me that I needed to add detail to this one.

Comments are welcome towards my theory...

Edit: I also throughout the weekend the 78 Fishbowl was one of the buses in the maintenance bays (to stay warm I presume) and the Orion I was outside next to the building behind the garage (not in the dead line). Neither bus was used all weekend but I don't think this is unusual.

I just found out at the Burlington garage last Saturday during the charter, 7008-84 is NOT dead! It's been sitting there for few months waiting for an rebuild engine.

They can't afford any bus retire as the spare buses have used up during rush hour.

Does someone have a Burlington current roster and could someone fill me in on their numbering system?

I seem to recall many years ago they used 3 digit numbering.

Thanks

From what I gather, its works like this:

7034-06 (D40LF)

70-all the buses have 70 at the start. 34-This is bus number 34. -06-it was built in 2006.

Nick C or BT Invero, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :lol:

your right

Example:

7019-03 =

70 Denotes Transit division of Burlington Public Works department.

19 Purchese order of the bus ( 19 out of say, 25)

03 YEAR of Purchese

If you look at the other city fleet equipment, you'll notice different numbers for the first 2 digits.

Hope this helps...

NICK, if I have this wrong CORRECT me please!

The last two digits are the year that the bus was purchased. It would also mean which year the bus was built too...

The only odd-ball scenarios were the 2005 D40LF's, which are 06's as they had received them in February of this year.

The 85 Classics...only 5 of the 8 are actually seen as 85's, where two of which are numbered 84 at the end and one of them is 86. I suspect it had went back to the original purchase year of the original system. Quebec City being that system.

Lastly, I think that the Invero order...out of the 10, only 09-03 was the one which was known as bus 9, seeing as no other bus which was active was using it so they numbered it 7009-03. I think this goes to any other bus that's purchased, old or new.

Lastly, I think that the Invero order...out of the 10, only 09-03 was the one which was known as bus 9, seeing as no other bus which was active was using it so they numbered it 7009-03. I think this goes to any other bus that's purchased, old or new.

Before the 2nd Classic arrived after QC and before the ex-Utah, the Invero fleet # was originally 7009-02 - 7018-02.

• 2 weeks later...

I have gotten information for what's going to happen with Classic 7008-84. Additionally, I've gotten information about what's been happening to the Inveros and when they're expecting back in service.

===================================================================

Bus 7008 is still in active service. We will be installing the rebuilt drivetrain next week.

All of the Invero's will be going to Eastway as part of a retrofit of the next stop buttons and software program change paid for by New Flyer.

Buses 7018 and 7022 are being worked on in our shop. We are behind in our work due to the Christmas holidays.

All three Invero's (7017,18 and 22) will be back in service in the next few days.

Bus procurement is based on the tendering process. We will be issuing a tender in the next couple of months. Once the tender closes we will review the bids to determine who we will recommend as the provider for the next series of buses.

I have gotten information for what's going to happen with Classic 7008-84. Additionally, I've gotten information about what's been happening to the Inveros and when they're expecting back in service.

===================================================================

Bus 7008 is still in active service. We will be installing the rebuilt drivetrain next week.

All of the Invero's will be going to Eastway as part of a retrofit of the next stop buttons and software program change paid for by New Flyer.

Buses 7018 and 7022 are being worked on in our shop. We are behind in our work due to the Christmas holidays.

All three Invero's (7017,18 and 22) will be back in service in the next few days.

Bus procurement is based on the tendering process. We will be issuing a tender in the next couple of months. Once the tender closes we will review the bids to determine who we will recommend as the provider for the next series of buses.

Wow, I can't belive they are installing the next stop buttons as none of the Invero have it when delivered.

None of the D40LF have it when delivered as well, don't know how well riders can reach the rope.

Wow, I can't belive they are installing the next stop buttons as none of the Invero have it when delivered.

None of the D40LF have it when delivered as well, don't know how well riders can reach the rope.

This I believe is for the lower deck. The ropes look like they're alligned where the window seperates from the main payne to the flipper.

But, why not just lower it...aka like Oakville VII's?