King County Metro - Seattle, Washington

Orion VIII

On 11/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, Kennys bus drawings said:

I saw a bunch of trolleys on the i-5 apparently it's cause the university bridge is closed, but I wonder if the trolleys on the battery can get up to freeway speeds

Screenshot_20211112-113041.png

Screenshot_20211112-131857.png

Woah that's cool... wish I knew about that then I could have gotten a ride on one of those

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kennys bus drawings said:

weird question, does anyone have a picture of a rapid ride xde60 6246 running the new route 79 on the 12th of november? I could've sworn I saw a picture of that somewhere but now i can't seem to find it anywhere.

Wasn’t a good picture, but it’s better than nothing. Was going to try and get a better picture later, but was so busy with the bridge stuck open that night.

192478DA-E9F3-46E9-86E5-F70807043463.jpeg

• Like 2

On 11/19/2021 at 4:52 PM, Kennys bus drawings said:

weird question, does anyone have a picture of a rapid ride xde60 6246 running the new route 79 on the 12th of november? I could've sworn I saw a picture of that somewhere but now i can't seem to find it anywhere.

I think I might have seen it somewhere on Instagram? Not sure where else it would've been other than here or Instagram haha

• Like 1

stupid off topic statement, but yesterday 7247 was the only green colored bus at north base and I thought it was gonna stay that way but today it seems to have transferred to south base, so north base no longer has anymore green xde40's. I remember riding 7250 and 7242 and a bunch of other higher numbered ones until they all got transferred to south base

4 hours ago, Kennys bus drawings said:

stupid off topic statement, but yesterday 7247 was the only green colored bus at north base and I thought it was gonna stay that way but today it seems to have transferred to south base, so north base no longer has anymore green xde40's. I remember riding 7250 and 7242 and a bunch of other higher numbered ones until they all got transferred to south base

North will retire the 26/27/2800’s by Dec 3rd. They will need some of the twenty 7200’s that were sent to south, back, in order to have enough coaches. 

The plan was to send those coaches back any, each time a 4700 went into service, but now they’ll need to come back sooner

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, caseyrs77 said:

North will retire the 26/27/2800’s by Dec 3rd. They will need some of the twenty 7200’s that were sent to south, back, in order to have enough coaches. 

The plan was to send those coaches back any, each time a 4700 went into service, but now they’ll need to come back sooner

Oh, you for sure?

41 minutes ago, caseyrs77 said:

oh cool, I wonder if they'll be the 7240s and 50s that north used to have, or even the 7220's that got transferred.

interesting that they're replacing 30 60 foot buses with 20 40 foot buses tho.

I don't know if I believe that. They were originally retired from North in June, but brought back in October. Even if they are taken off the roads by the 3rd. They'll most likely return to service again in 2-4 months. In fact, I can count five coaches originally pulled from the roads in Late 2020 to Early 2021, but they came back. Those coaches are 2649, 2690, 2694, 2705 (my favorite coaach out of the whole series), and 2812. Plus, I know some people at Atlantic Base and I've heard 2600 itself is being completely refitted with an all-new electronic system. It's sitting down at Component Supply Center (CSC) waiting to be refitted with an automatic driver shield.  CSC specializes in remanufacturing engines, transmissions, etc. It is adjacent to South Base.

6 hours ago, Kennys bus drawings said:

I hope the retrofit them with automatic driver shields, then more drivers would be willing to drive the 2600's

I'm not even a driver at Metro, but I'd drive 'em with or without the shields.I've rode them hundreds of times and they're, second to the 3200's, 1100's, and 2300's, my favorite buses. They share the second place spot with the now retired 3600's and the now retired 2005 D60LF's (2870-2899).

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kennys bus drawings said:

I hope the retrofit them with automatic driver shields, then more drivers would be willing to drive the 2600's

It’s $8K per bus to retrofit. The coaches were supposed to be retired awhile ago, so they’re not going to spend the money, 

• Like 1