What are your favourite STM buses - and why?

SMS

I know, but that's the thing. I saw most fishbowls with blank rollsigns after 1994. As you said, after 1994 all the rollsign buses had all the routes on their rollsigns and still didn't bother to show the routes.

Could be slow or dead motors, or buses that interlined once or more during the day, and the operators couldn't be bothered to change the signs everytime there was a route change, especially if they were doing something like changing from the 17 to the 215, which would have involved a lot of scrolling! I agree with your point, though.

Makes you wonder why the STCUM did not retrofit their rollsigns as OC Transpo did with their Pylon (?) system... punch in the number on a control panel, and the rollsign will roll itself! Surprised that the greedy selfish union didn't push for that.

Makes you wonder why the STCUM did not retrofit their rollsigns as OC Transpo did with their Pylon (?) system... punch in the number on a control panel, and the rollsign will roll itself! Surprised that the greedy selfish union didn't push for that.

Didn't the STCUM have a button that you push beside the rollsign in the fishbowls that made it scroll automatically?

Didn't the STCUM have a button that you push beside the rollsign in the fishbowls that made it scroll automatically?

What button?? U mean the up and down button to make it scroll automatically?

Of course all the recent STCUM fishbowls had this :D

I don't understand what u guys are talking about. Can u clarify?

As far as i understand, SMS is talking about a type of thing where u punch in the route number and the thing rolls itself to the correct location, and Steve is talking about an Up/Down button in which the motor scrolls it to the location in which u have to find urself. Are U asking if STCUM fishbowls had this Up/Down button like the GM classics did? ;) As far as i remember of course they did.

In fact i was shocked when i first saw the Hand Roller for the front roll sign on 14-008 since it was manual and NOT motorized.

Are U asking if STCUM fishbowls had this Up/Down button like the GM classics did? :D As far as i remember of course they did.

Yes Dave. That's what I was talking about.

OC Transpo did his because they were smart and knew the value of keeping the fishbowls around.

Unfortunately no... ;)

But I can make my memories come back to life, thanks to your fantastic galleries! B)

Well if you join the FHTCQ next year, you'll get to re-live a lot more fantastic memories..:D

OC Transpo did his because they were smart and knew the value of keeping the fishbowls around.

Well if you join the FHTCQ next year, you'll get to re-live a lot more fantastic memories..:D

I'll join you guys... ;) how do I pay? (i think it's 7$ innit?)

Well yes Steve, I'm pretty sure all the recent STCUM fishbowls had this, I don't remember the driver manually rolling a knob in the front all the time, i remember a button (well two) and the noise of the motor inside.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

But this brings up another question, when did most of the drivers stop using the smaller one next to it that displayed, NORD, SUD, OUEST, and EST?? My guess is a looooong time ago. What happened? Did they just get fet up with it? Or did the STCUM tell the drivers it wasnt that important and it was ok if they didnt display that? I remember it was always either white blank, black blank, or 99% of the time displaying STCUM with the logo

But this brings up another question, when did most of the drivers stop using the smaller one next to it that displayed, NORD, SUD, OUEST, and EST?? My guess is a looooong time ago. What happened? Did they just get fet up with it? Or did the STCUM tell the drivers it wasnt that important and it was ok if they didnt display that? I remember it was always either white blank, black blank, or 99% of the time displaying STCUM with the logo

Good question. As far as I can remember, I never saw it displaying Nord, Sud, Est, Ouest or Metro. I always saw it white blank or with the STCUM letters.

I thought the logo and STCUM was a sticker they put to cover up the direction (N/S/E/W)

Yes, the STCUM lettering was a sticker placed over the front side auxiliary box. I guess when they officially stopped using the N/S/E/W and metro, they put the sticker on. They probably figured it would look nicer then just leaving a blank white box.

Yes, the STCUM lettering was a sticker placed over the front side auxiliary box. I guess when they officially stopped using the N/S/E/W and metro, they put the sticker on. They probably figured it would look nicer then just leaving a blank white box.

Wow, i always thought it was on the roll sign, because somtimes i thought it appeared to be mis-positionned.

I'll join you guys... :lol: how do I pay? (i think it's 7$ innit?)

Just go to the FHTCQ website and print out the form, send a check or money order (no cash!).

Here's the link to fill out the form:

http://www.geocities.com/fhtcq/Membership.htm

See ya next year! BTW, I am one of the members of the activities committee. I plan some of the charters. I have two that I want to run by our prez.

Just go to the FHTCQ website and print out the form, send a check or money order (no cash!).

Here's the link to fill out the form:

http://www.geocities.com/fhtcq/Membership.htm

See ya next year! BTW, I am one of the members of the activities committee. I plan some of the charters. I have two that I want to run by our prez.

Thanks! I can't wait to get on a New Look again...

• 3 weeks later...

What button?? U mean the up and down button to make it scroll automatically?

Of course all the recent STCUM fishbowls had this.

In fact i was shocked when i first saw the Hand Roller for the front roll sign on 14-008 since it was manual and NOT motorized.

The 21-000s were the first buses to have the motorized destination signs. The STCUM has always credited two mechanics at St-Denis for inventing it.

• 2 months later...
  • 48XX series CanCar TD-51, don't remember which one I saw, it was around 1977-78 on my way to school, it was on the 159MB.
  • 5051-5100 Canadair-Flxible CL-218, I rode one once on the 32 with my dad, around 1976.
Does anyone know what engine/transmission combo the CanCar TD-51's had? I can't find any information on them at all.

And what about the Canadian Flxibles? Did they have Spicers or Allisons?

My favourite bus is the Flyer D700. Winnipeg was the the last city to retire them (around 1990 I believe). They remind me of being a young child. :lol:

Does anyone know what engine/transmission combo the CanCar TD-51's had? I can't find any information on them at all.

And what about the Canadian Flxibles? Did they have Spicers or Allisons?

My favourite bus is the Flyer D700. Winnipeg was the the last city to retire them (around 1990 I believe). They remind me of being a young child. :lol:

I believe the TD-51s had Hall-Scott engines, but for the transmission, I'll have to look that up in my Montreal '62 book that I have at home... if I can get my hands on it.

My favourite bus is the Flyer D700.

Montreal had 11 D700's. I wish there were more pictures of them on the net. There's only the one from Peter's site and the one's from Jacques Matte's site. I know some even got painted into CTCUM blue. That would have been interesting to have seen.