Saskatoon Updates

I wonder why Van Hool didn't bid on the contract with their AG300? Really emjoyed riding those in Toronto and Oakland, CA

Van Hool transit buses are done in Canada now. Transit systems that ordered Van Hool in the past have opted for local Canadian manufacturers with VIVA and RTL switching to Novabus Artics now.

• 2 weeks later...
Martin has called in with the following updates for Saskatoon

>1992 MCI Classic 434 has now been painted into the new Blue and White colour scheme. *This makes the 3rd set of colours for 434 since being delivered in 1992

>the storage/parts yard now hold 7 busses (up from 5 in June)

-388 -1980 T6H 5307N

-389 -1980 T6H 5307N

-390? -1980 T6H 5307N

-399 -1981 T6H 5307N

-406 -1984 GMDD Classic

-731 -1990 NFI D40

-732 -1990 NFI D40

Next Stop: Moose Jaw and Regina

All 3 of the Artics have arrived today # 1005, 1006 and 1007. They said end of April and they delivered. Way to go Nova Bus. I wonder how long before they are put into service. It would be nice to have them ready for the NickleBack concert for May 29 its sold out. I guess it all depends on how training goes. We also have all of the Flyer buses in 1001, 1002, 1003 and 1004.

There will also be some new routes coming on Sept.5, 2010 a new #40 AirPort serving the downtown hotels and downtown terminal and heading stiaght up to the Airport conecting with the # 11 @ 39th and Idylwyld Dr.th #40 will interline with the #23 @ the Airport. The #24 and #25 servicing the north end of the City on peak Service Monday - Friday Credit Union Centre and area and Norh on Warmen Rd to 71 st not sure which route does what . Change in routing fro #23 to go to the Airport from the west side of the city. I think they ae also interlining the #11 and #13 @ St Henry and Hilliard and extending #13 to full service not just Monday - Friday. At night the #5, #11 and #23 will interline making it a 6 hour total loop.

We are supose to be having a meeting on Wednesday to confirm this. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the info, Bus Driver. I was wondering what the plans were for this service package, the information to council wasn't very specific.

Do you know if the 50/60 is still being severed from the feeder routes in Lakewood? Do they need to sever the trunk from the feeders routes then west of Confed as well?

Have the Nova Artics been wrapped in Saskatoon livery?

They have thier own livery. I don't understand why maybe so they can be used on regular runs? They colors that they do have are of he Dart but in a different pattern. Mostly white boday with green and silver stripping down the sides.

Thanks for the info, Bus Driver. I was wondering what the plans were for this service package, the information to council wasn't very specific.

Do you know if the 50/60 is still being severed from the feeder routes in Lakewood? Do they need to sever the trunk from the feeders routes then west of Confed as well?

There are changes coming for the 50/60's however they will not be implamented until Dec. sometime. From what I saw the 50 will saty on the west side having a 50A and a 50B one will do the Confederation loop and one will do the Pacific Hieghts loop. The 60 will stay on the east side with 60A, 60B, and 60C, One will do a Lakeview loop one a Lakeridge loop and one a Lakewood loop.

They will interline with each other requiring the operators to change the signs beore the get downtown.

I don't likw the A, B and C thing. I guess we will all have to get use to it. It will be a tough go for the operators and the public for the first while.

Oh I forgot there will be a new #17 doing Stonbridge to Uof S and a #28 doing Willowgrove feeder route.

So the new routes will be #17,#24, #25 and #28. Four new routes for Sept. 5.

Unit 1001 was put into service yesterday.

It's no so bad, Winnipeg has a similar system with Bus 62. U of M, St. Nortbert and Thurnball!

Does the route 62 in Winnipeg still have the Richmond West terminus? If so, that would be 62 Richmond Express... Richmond West/U of M/St Norbert and Turnbull Drive.

They have thier own livery. I don't understand why maybe so they can be used on regular runs? They colors that they do have are of he Dart but in a different pattern. Mostly white boday with green and silver stripping down the sides.

There are changes coming for the 50/60's however they will not be implamented until Dec. sometime. From what I saw the 50 will saty on the west side having a 50A and a 50B one will do the Confederation loop and one will do the Pacific Hieghts loop. The 60 will stay on the east side with 60A, 60B, and 60C, One will do a Lakeview loop one a Lakeridge loop and one a Lakewood loop.

They will interline with each other requiring the operators to change the signs beore the get downtown.

I don't likw the A, B and C thing. I guess we will all have to get use to it. It will be a tough go for the operators and the public for the first while.

Oh I forgot there will be a new #17 doing Stonbridge to Uof S and a #28 doing Willowgrove feeder route.

So the new routes will be #17,#24, #25 and #28. Four new routes for Sept. 5.

Unit 1001 was put into service yesterday.

I forgot to add #40 so there will be 5 new routes and some changes to the #4 Willowgrove, #6 Broadway will change into #16 Clarence at the Market mall and visa versa. #80 Arbor Creek/ Erindale. It seems like the new planning Supervisor is going back to the old feeder system that Saskatoon Transit spent all that money on consultants for nothing. I just hope that we have enough buses to cover everything. At the end of March we were cancelling extras because we did not have enough buses. With the addition of the 7 new buses and we don't retire any buses we will have 145 buses. When U of S is in full session we have 107 buses out at peak times right now.

Artic right? Pics?

Nope, just a regular NFI 40'.

The city has posted new route plans on their website. It's great to see bus service in the North-West - too bad with the poor economy I no longer work there! Route #28 is an interesting idea, essentially a suburban loop (one-way) not connecting anything to anything, however accessible by DART 70/80. Funny seeing Saskatoon copy Prince Albert's routing. As well the #12 express on Idlewild is dead, now taking the slow route via Lorne replacing #11.

May 10 2010 824 on Route # 21

The city has posted new route plans on their website. It's great to see bus service in the North-West - too bad with the poor economy I no longer work there! Route #28 is an interesting idea, essentially a suburban loop (one-way) not connecting anything to anything, however accessible by DART 70/80. Funny seeing Saskatoon copy Prince Albert's routing. As well the #12 express on Idlewild is dead, now taking the slow route via Lorne replacing #11.

I like the 12 to get from downtown to Market Mall. It's the only freeway bus in Stoon. After it is moved to Lorne, though, it has fewer turns through Stonebridge, so in the end, it will take the same amount of time.

The proposed changes are quite drastic, but many are much needed. I'm not sure they are the best solutions to the problems, but it's better than nothing. The transit planner, Kevin, is rarin' to change things, thats for sure. I like how he is really trying to communicate the reasoning behind these changes to people, rather than keeping it a big secret.

I have seen unit 1001 and 1002 in service. They are both in the blue livery and not all the exterior decals have been applied. They are D40LFR diesels, not hybrids as I thought. I'm not sure what happened to this federal hybrid top-up funding.

Council has approved Stoon Trans' new plan to focus on refurbs rather than purchasing new units. The plan is to refurb 30-40 older vehicles to get 5-7 years of life out of them, all for the cost of purchasing 2 new buses. Link to council agenda.

How is Saskatoon Copying P.A.'s routing? I fail to see this. Idylwyld.

How is Saskatoon Copying P.A.'s routing? I fail to see this. Idylwyld.

PA's routing is all made up one-way loops:

http://www.citypa.ca/Portals/0/PDF2/Maps/P...%20Brochure.pdf

Today many Saskatoon routes use such loops in the suburbs, i.e. all the DARTS, #5, #4 etc. With the new shematic now there's a whole route that's nothing but a one-way loop, i.e. PA style.

Some of the coming service changes eliminate one-way loops (the new 60A/B/C feeders operate in both directions thru Lakewood), while some add new loops (the 17, 28, the 23 in Blairmore, etc). It depends on the situation, but I think transit is trying to remove one-way loops whenever feasible.

I think that PA uses loops because the city is literally too small to warrant much two-way service. Their route system is way too confusing and should be simplified.

Martin has called in with the following updates for Saskatoon

>1992 MCI Classic 434 has now been painted into the new Blue and White colour scheme. *This makes the 3rd set of colours for 434 since being delivered in 1992

>the storage/parts yard now hold 7 busses (up from 5 in June)

-388 -1980 T6H 5307N

-389 -1980 T6H 5307N

-390? -1980 T6H 5307N

-399 -1981 T6H 5307N

-406 -1984 GMDD Classic

-731 -1990 NFI D40

-732 -1990 NFI D40

Next Stop: Moose Jaw and Regina

I had the privlege to drive one of the new artics on Tuesday. What a comfortable ride the Novas are. I forgot how nice they road. Its too bad that I won't get the oppertunity to drive them more often. I should have stayed a driver! Nah Suping is better.

In the latest council agenda, buried amongst the taxpayer-subsidized land-grabs that some suburbanites are making in closing walkways, there is a report to council from transit requesting approval of the purchase of four Crestline Arboc shuttle buses instead of a 40' diesel that was supposed to be purchased this year. They will be used on the new feeder routes primarily. If successful, transit intends to purchase more (3 for the price of 1!)

Link

• 2 weeks later...