Counters

M. Parsons

Recently, a lot of Ferrier buses have been showing up with passenger counters installed. Then, it was announced ETS was installing GPS junk on some buses to help speed up trips by holding green lights.

Finally, mike from edmonton posted this:

I had heard that all of the D40LF's (except the 200 class) were built with the gps wiring/harness installed for the "eventual" installation fleet wide. Had also heard that not only location, but it would also be able to transmit engine data, passenger counts etc.

So, it could be that the GPS equipped buses are getting passenger counters as well...

I figured I will start up a thread to track the buses with passenger counters.

4065, 4072, 4073, 4142, 4445, 4485, 4486, 4487, 4490, 4492?, 4493, 4494, 4495, 4498, 4500, 4510

Where do you find the passenger counter/GPS equipment inside a D40LF? Something I'll watch for if I ever catch a Ferrier bus.

Look and the front and rear doors. There will be some black boxes attached to the top of the door frame. 2 or 3 at the rear doors and 1-2 at the front doors. There is also a black box attached to the bottom of the side destination sign.

This is only the passenger counting equipment, as far as I can tell. So far I can't recall seeing the counters on anything but Ferrier buses. However, I don't ride many non Ferrier low floors, as, if it is something from Mitchell or Westwood I'm usually riding the bus for pleasure which automatically eliminates the D40LF!

I have a couple pictures of them, except on a MT 03XX, which uses 3M equipment!

Will that do?

Thanks for posting those. The shots showing the unit in the door is similar to Edmonton's, except, Edmonton has either 2 or 3 units it there.

We do not have the thing on the front of the bus.... yet.

Thanks for posting those. The shots showing the unit in the door is similar to Edmonton's, except, Edmonton has either 2 or 3 units it there.

We do not have the thing on the front of the bus.... yet.

Wow, 2 or 3 units, our D60LFs have even wider doors then that and only have two counters. (0152 and 0152 are the only D60LFs with the equipment)

• Board Admin

Was riding 1036 to the U today and at Churchill the announcements started to mess up and were out of sync. So at Central it said Churchill, at Bay it said Central, at Corona it said Bay, at Grandin it said Corona, then on the bridge it announced "Next stop, Grandin Station, Government Centre", but when it arrived to University, it had fixed itself (or the motorman had fixed it) and it announced "University Station". Another thing I noticed was that all the announcements were being made on the external speakers all the way ther.

I caught the same car back, and the announcements were very faint, coming from probably only one speaker in the entire vehicle...

Was riding 1036 to the U today and at Churchill the announcements started to mess up and were out of sync. So at Central it said Churchill, at Bay it said Central, at Corona it said Bay, at Grandin it said Corona, then on the bridge it announced "Next stop, Grandin Station, Government Centre", but when it arrived to University, it had fixed itself (or the motorman had fixed it) and it announced "University Station". Another thing I noticed was that all the announcements were being made on the external speakers all the way ther.

I caught the same car back, and the announcements were very faint, coming from probably only one speaker in the entire vehicle...

The announcements being played through the external speakers seems to be a common affliction with the new system, or perhaps i've just had 1036 a lot, either way it's been happening since at least march of this year.

• Board Admin

Yeah I've noticed that a lot of the time the external speakers get used. More often than not it is like the case of 1020 today, where in the middle of the announcement (usually after the first two-tone chime) it cuts from broadcasting on the external speaker to the cabin speakers.

• 4 weeks later...