Guess what is different about these two bus photos!

1 minute ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

There is one difference that is in the photo. Try to find it! I just found this difference today.

IMG_1379.PNG

I see 3 differences, other than the obvious red vs white front.

1) "Exact fare required" decal was missing from 8917

2) 8917 had the newer 'priority seating' decal on the window.

3) The circular cone on the roof of 8923. I'm guessing this is what you're referring to? I've always wondered why a few New Looks and Classics had this cone on the roof and what it was for?

3 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

There is one difference between the buses that is in the photo. Try to find it! I just found this difference today.

IMG_1379.PNG

I remember some of the Classics had red in front. I don't know what it was for but some the ex-Grey Line buses (9110-9119) had it with some of the red stripe from the Grey Line still on it.

1 hour ago, 8792 said:

I see 3 differences, other than the obvious red vs white front.

1) "Exact fare required" decal was missing from 8917

2) 8917 had the newer 'priority seating' decal on the window.

3) The circular cone on the roof of 8923. I'm guessing this is what you're referring to? I've always wondered why a few New Looks and Classics had this cone on the roof and what it was for?

They ARE differences, but not the one I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, OCSTOFan said:

I remember some of the Classics had red in front. I don't know what it was for but some the ex-Grey Line buses (9110-9119) had it with some of the red stripe from the Grey Line still on it.

No, that's not the difference I'm looking for. The red front Classics were only like that to fix rust and because OC was too lazy to repaint them completely, which is why you often saw classics in the leaf, stripe or the stripe with the red front end. It surprises me how many "paint jobs" there are for the classics. The grey line classics that were painted back in the stripe livery didn't even have the diagonal line over the back windows.

10 minutes ago, JRM1000 said:

The driver's air vent on 8923 is black. Not the usual white which you would have seen.

It actually should have been red to match the rest of the front. Anyway, that is not the difference I found.

16 minutes ago, Charlie said:

The roll signs are different ?‍♂️

They are both Pylons, so no difference there. 

Ah here's one other difference. 8923 was equipped with the extra bar at the front door (on the inside steps). I think that signified a bus OC used to count ridership estimates.

What about the rooftop circle thing. What was that for?

On 2017-08-01 at 1:22 PM, 8792 said:

Ah here's one other difference. 8923 was equipped with the extra bar at the front door (on the inside steps). I think that signified a bus OC used to count ridership estimates.

What about the rooftop circle thing. What was that for?

You got it! Some of the '91s had this too. 9103 to 9109, and also 9120 and 9121 had it. No GMs or Novas had this. It's pretty much just random 89s and 91s that had it. About the rooftop circle (or whatever it is), I do not know what that was for. I think it was just on MCIs too because I saw no '93s with it. And every single GM I saw had no circle. 

IMG_1380.PNG

IMG_1381.PNG

Now for another one. This one is slightly easier to find. The second one is a bit blurry but you get my point. The photos came from Jan Boic of Ontario Buses on Flickr, and JCL respectively.

13 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

You got it! Some of the '91s had this too. No GMs or Novas had this. It's pretty much just random 89s and 91s that had it. About the rooftop circle (or whatever it is), I do not know what that was for. I think it was just on MCIs too because I saw no '93s with it. And every single GM I saw had no circle. 

IMG_1380.PNG

IMG_1381.PNG

Now for another one. This one is slightly easier to find. The second one is a bit blurry but you get my point.

The upper photo has a red and black rail, and the lower photo has a yellow rail.

2 minutes ago, OCSTOFan said:

The upper photo has a red and black rail, and the lower photo has a yellow rail.

Got it! And by the way, only 3 1992 Vs had them. All of the S50 Vs had them (the ones in the KFC livery). Why would only 3 of them have yellow rails? Also the only buses to have these were 9256, 9257, and 9258. And the 93 Classics, but that's pretty much it.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Got it! And by the way, only 3 1992 Vs had them. All of the S50 Vs had them (the ones in the KFC livery). Why would only 3 of them have yellow rails? Also the only buses to have these were 9256, 9257, and 9258. And the 93 Classics, but that's pretty much it.

Maybe it was discontinued at that point.

On 2017-08-01 at 2:13 PM, OCSTOFan said:

I like OC Classics better with red in front and the stripe LOL!.

What's wrong with the maple leaf one?? This may be a unpopular opinion, but I like the striped ones better when they have the black bumper and white front. I also like the completely red front, and the stripe on the sides.

What is the difference?

IMG_1386.PNG

IMG_1387.PNG

Photos by tomsbuspage, and Peter McLaughlin.

1 hour ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Yes, and that's the only 93 that was like that. Did it actually come like that, or was it removed later on?

What's the difference this time? BTW, the A/C does not count!

IMG_1384.PNG

IMG_1385.PNG

9303 did not come like that. IIRC, it had an accident at Merivale garage in which it hit a fuel truck. 

31 minutes ago, JRM1000 said:

9303 did not come like that. IIRC, it had an accident at Merivale garage in which it hit a fuel truck. 

Since when? That was 9302 you were thinking of. It also got retired in 2006 after the accident. The bus was completely demolished. They actually tried to fix it, but it was too much damage so it got retired. That doesn't explain why 9303 had no turn signals. BTW, if 9303 was in the accident, it would have been retired long before 2010 came. 

IMG_1388.PNG

Look at how stripped it is. There's basically nothing left of it.

2 hours ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

You got it! Some of the '91s had this too. 9103 to 9109, and also 9120 and 9121 had it. No GMs or Novas had this. It's pretty much just random 89s and 91s that had it. About the rooftop circle (or whatever it is), I do not know what that was for. I think it was just on MCIs too because I saw no '93s with it. And every single GM I saw had no circle. 

IMG_1380.PNG

IMG_1381.PNG

Now for another one. This one is slightly easier to find. The second one is a bit blurry but you get my point.

Yay! For the rooftop thing, I distinctly remember a handful of fishbowls had this on the roof too. I wish I could remember a couple of specific units. For some reason 7403 springs to mind.

Anyone know what those were for? To plug a hole in the roof? ;)

11 minutes ago, 8792 said:

Yay! For the rooftop thing, I distinctly remember a handful of fishbowls had this on the roof too. I wish I could remember a couple of specific units. For some reason 7403 springs to mind.

Anyone know what those were for? To plug a hole in the roof? ;)

Maybe? I'm actually kind of surprised you missed it the first time. I don't know why, but I am. You said something about the fare card in the window, but that rail was literally staring you right in the face, lol.

Why would they pick random buses to put them on?

2 hours ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

Since when? That was 9302 you were thinking of. It also got retired in 2006 after the accident. The bus was completely demolished. They actually tried to fix it, but it was too much damage so it got retired. That doesn't explain why 9303 had no turn signals. BTW, if 9303 was in the accident, it would have been retired long before 2010 came. 

IMG_1388.PNG

Look at how stripped it is. There's basically nothing left of it.

Oh, my mistake. Sorry.

I think I know what the rooftop thing is for on the Classics. Apparently, it is an APC unit, which provides data as to the number of passengers getting on and getting off on stops of a route.

Also, I take back what I said about the 93 Classics. 9301, and 9304 both had them. No other Nova had them except for those two. They were behind the air conditioner instead of being on the middle of the bus. As for the '89s, 8907, 8908, and 8923 are the only three that come to my head right now.