Orion I's with Cat 3208?

Benjamin

I've known of several TMC Citycruisers who had 3208's retrofitted. I believe some 30ft Orion 1's have had them retrofitted as well, along with Cummins C8.3.

Brian,

Of course... if you mean those that were originally delivered with Detroit Diesel 6V53 engines. Any Orion I sold in the U.S. from 1979-82 is a rarity since the TMC City Cruiser was the same thing in all but name.

Montgomery County Ride-On had the rare case of ordering 57 Gillig Phantoms in the fall of 1988 with the 3208T engine... but one question remains: weren't those supposed to have been Orions before Montgomery County (Rockville, MD) awarded the order to Gillig?

~Ben

• 3 months later...

Apparently, Jefferson Transit (Port Townsend, WA) repowered their 1982 Orion I buses with Cat 3208T engines around 1989. Chris Osbjornsen told me via Facebook chat that the one bus in this fleet JT still had, number 96, has that engine in place of the original 6V71N Detroit Diesel.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin

• 5 months later...

It seems that most early Orion I's (1976-1981) had 6V53N's, but do you know if many TMC T-30 CityCruisers or Orion I's originally had CAT 3208T's? It seems like the only ones I can find had 6V53N's, but I've been wanting to know some agencies that got TMC's originally with CATs. Thanks in advanced.

It seems that most early Orion I's (1976-1981) had 6V53N's, but do you know if many TMC T-30 CityCruisers or Orion I's originally had CAT 3208T's? It seems like the only ones I can find had 6V53N's, but I've been wanting to know some agencies that got TMC's originally with CATs. Thanks in advanced.

I do have a 1981 TMC CityCruiser T30 brochure and it catalogs the 6V53T.

I did find reference to a Cat 3208T in a 1989 edition of the Orion I brochure (printed June 1988), which is how this topic originally started.

~Ben

Edited by Benjamin