Park and Ride idea

armorand

How feasible would it be, to have Assiniboia Downs turn into a Park and Ride? It could provide service for out-of-towners, along with the Iceplex and Assiniboia Downs itself.

Possible route options:

23 - Pointe West Express (6 am - 7 pm Downtown with 20 min freq), 23 Pointe West (20 minute frequency with two D30LFs from Assiniboia Downs to Unicity)

82 - Route extension to Assiniboia Park and Ride

21 - Peak Service? (either Grace Hospital or Assiniboia Park and Ride)

4 - Centreport West (Assiniboia P&R, to Centreport Canada via Unicity. Spares commuters the drive, and opens the road for freight trucks). Frequency every 30 to 45 minutes? To start off with anyway

If a residential area across from Pointe West could be established, there will ALWAYS be transit commuters cause then:

- Schools are across Perimetre (Buchanan, Hedges, JT)

- Shopping Centres are across as well (Unicity as an example)

- No one would want to walk under the Overpass (especially with speeing cars and -40 winters) to get to the other side!!!

Again, just an idea needing other thoughts and input :lol:

Sounds like a good idea, but you have to realise that Winnipeg Transit isn't really interested in providing service. Their main interest is saving money from buses, routes, and drivers in order to keep management salaries as high as possible. And of course to increase their management numbers

How feasible would it be, to have Assiniboia Downs turn into a Park and Ride? It could provide service for out-of-towners, along with the Iceplex and Assiniboia Downs itself.

I believe when there are races the Downs gets service, or did the Race Track buses get cancelled?

My guess is that the biggest roadblock to you idea might be "service for out-of-towners". Winnipeg Transit is financially supported by the City of Winnipeg and isn't really motivated to provide service to non-Winnipeggers (except at full cost). I've heard that a number of neighbouring municipalities have over the years asked about extending bus service to them, but the cost has usually scared them off.

I believe when there are races the Downs gets service, or did the Race Track buses get cancelled?

My guess is that the biggest roadblock to you idea might be "service for out-of-towners". Winnipeg Transit is financially supported by the City of Winnipeg and isn't really motivated to provide service to non-Winnipeggers (except at full cost). I've heard that a number of neighbouring municipalities have over the years asked about extending bus service to them, but the cost has usually scared them off.

As well Headingley, MB had Winnipeg transit service back in the early 1990's. After they separated from the city of Winnipeg, the bus service ceased. It might be better for suburban communities/municipalities to run their own service(s) to connect to Winnipeg Transit. Even if that means with a private company such as First Canada.

The City border goes west on Sask to just west of the downs, then south to the west side of the cemetery to the Assin River (I think) and then back east to the Perimeter. So some of that area is covered by the City, but any service from there would be used by out of town residents

I think there is a Race Track shuttle from Ronald & Portage on race nights. Or maybe not. We used to have 3 or 4 from City Hall and 1 from Kingston Loop years ago, plus the shuttle from Ashern Loop. Full size buses and all packed full.