New BZ driver

MailGuyy

Hi guys,

I recently got my BZ license and I am looking to apply to any of the major transit companies in the GTA. I don't have much commercial driving experience, the only experience I have is at Canada Post delivering parcel in Downtown Toronto. Canada Post is great I like the people, I like the company and I like the delivering part, but I'm looking for more. So my next step is to tackle the transit sector, is one company easier to apply to? Is there any private or public companies I should look into? maybe I need more experience?

11 hours ago, MailGuyy said:

So my next step is to tackle the transit sector, is one company easier to apply to? .....maybe I need more experience?

Cool stuff. 

I can't speak for which companies are easier to apply to; however, there are many members that can help you out with that on here. I know GO will start you off part time, then move you up to full. If you're looking at TTC, some of the pages in the app thread are a good read. Your experience should be an asset, but I do know for sure that the agencies value experience in customer service when looking at applications. Which is a given when you're a bus operator of course. It also depends on where you live too, right? Can't be living near Campbellville and working for DRT lol.  

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MailGuyy said:

Hi guys,

I recently got my BZ license and I am looking to apply to any of the major transit companies in the GTA. I don't have much commercial driving experience, the only experience I have is at Canada Post delivering parcel in Downtown Toronto. Canada Post is great I like the people, I like the company and I like the delivering part, but I'm looking for more. So my next step is to tackle the transit sector, is one company easier to apply to? Is there any private or public companies I should look into? maybe I need more experience?

Congrats!

Just keep in mind with this career change, you are dealing with "People who do talk back" so customer service experience is a must! Transit can be repetitive depending on your route but the people on your bus can change that, whether an incident or lame arguments. You do have split break in your shift in most cases its 4 hours. You can start with TTC, Go Transit (Part-time), Mi-Way, Oakville Transit and Burlington Transit. You can also try the private sectors who have contracts such as Pacific Western doing Durham Region Transit, Veolia, Miller and TOK doing York Region Transit. Hopefully this helps!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeOn Bus Rider said:

Congrats!

Just keep in mind with this career change, you are dealing with "People who do talk back" so customer service experience is a must! Transit can be repetitive depending on your route but the people on your bus can change that, whether an incident or lame arguments. You do have split break in your shift in most cases its 4 hours. You can start with TTC, Go Transit (Part-time), Mi-Way, Oakville Transit and Burlington Transit. You can also try the private sectors who have contracts such as Pacific Western doing Durham Region Transit, Veolia, Miller and TOK doing York Region Transit. Hopefully this helps!

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a decade worth of experiences in customer service environments such as delivery, call center, and retail. customer service is not a problem, I have been in the front line of customer service for years. After trying to apply to the public transit sector for a few years, but yet no calls, I think I will try to tackle the private transit companies you mention above. Cheers!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MailGuyy said:

Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a decade worth of experiences in customer service environments such as delivery, call center, and retail. customer service is not a problem, I have been in the front line of customer service for years. After trying to apply to the public transit sector for a few years, but yet no calls, I think I will try to tackle the private transit companies you mention above. Cheers!

There you go!

All the best with future endeavours

• Thanks 1

You say driving experience from Canada Post and that you have your BZ.  I'll take a guess you got the BZ through a driving school.  That might be a problem.  All transits offer free training.  You will go through their training program regardless of your license or experience.  By being pre licensed, means they not only have to train you, but they have to retrain you.  Most HR depts will know this and you could be filtered out because of this.  When I was being trained at Mississauga Transit back in 1988, the worst trainees were the school bus drivers.  They thought they knew everything because of their B and we only required a C.  About half were washed out or quit in the first 5 years.  My class had 2 and neither lasted beyond 5 years.  The other 7 stayed.  Not sure if this is your situation but just some info.

• Like 1