Ben Franklin Transit

ziggzagzac

• 1 month later...

http://www.metro-mag...t-zeps-bus.aspx

Ben Franklin Transit (BFT)is working with Southern California-based Complete Coach Works (CCW) to develop an all-electric remanufactured transit bus that has the capability of going more than 100 miles.

Ben Franklin Transit’s bus, when completed, will have all electrical components, auxiliary wiring, seats, air conditioning systems and flooring replaced with high quality new parts. The all-electric drive system, motor, controller and advanced Li-ion battery packs will be installed, as will a new, energy efficient air conditioning system.

The remanufacturing process is so detailed and complete that the bus will be issued a new title and current year registration. Because CCW made a point to source as many U.S. parts and components as possible, the bus is “Buy America” compliant.

Ben Franklin Transit, in collaboration with CCW, evaluated the bus route that will benefit the most from the deployment of the electric transit bus. Ben Franklin Transit Route 23/26 is currently a good fit for this all-electric transit bus. Because of frequent stops within a total eight-mile loop and low average speed, the route provides ideal conditions for the regenerative braking-enabled ZEPS bus.

L-BFT.jpg

Zack, did you apply for the MS/IT position? You should consider it, it pays well, and it'd be cool to have somebody like yourself at BFT.

The newest are "probably" numbered sequentially from 293. I had heard mention of a coach 305 over the radio system a couple days ago. I don't know for sure because I only see the coaches from a distance, usually in the dark. Their lower bodices are painted the ST base purple coat, the body above the rub strip is all white, so they might put the swoop decals on them. They parked most of the new arrivals in the commuter line (next to the dial-a-rides).

Lastly, I can say that the last of the MCI's are off the property.

Oops, I went by this evening (Boxing Day, December 26) and saw the 4 B3's, sitting in their usual spot.

Edited by bradfordbrian

Just so you know, thats not what 248 looks like.

Just a mockup of the paint scheme. The final product is probably going to have a roof hump for the batteries, and the 240 series coaches have narrow rear doors.

Thanks. Thats lame that its a mock-up. I wonder when the bus will be in service. The article only says "in the new year"

http://www.metro-mag...t-zeps-bus.aspx

Ben Franklin Transit (BFT)is working with Southern California-based Complete Coach Works (CCW) to develop an all-electric remanufactured transit bus that has the capability of going more than 100 miles.

Ben Franklin Transit’s bus, when completed, will have all electrical components, auxiliary wiring, seats, air conditioning systems and flooring replaced with high quality new parts. The all-electric drive system, motor, controller and advanced Li-ion battery packs will be installed, as will a new, energy efficient air conditioning system.

The remanufacturing process is so detailed and complete that the bus will be issued a new title and current year registration. Because CCW made a point to source as many U.S. parts and components as possible, the bus is “Buy America” compliant.

Ben Franklin Transit, in collaboration with CCW, evaluated the bus route that will benefit the most from the deployment of the electric transit bus. Ben Franklin Transit Route 23/26 is currently a good fit for this all-electric transit bus. Because of frequent stops within a total eight-mile loop and low average speed, the route provides ideal conditions for the regenerative braking-enabled ZEPS bus.

I wrote about a post on my blog about this back in October. It covers a bit more about the ZEPS Bus and how it works. At that time, they were saying that the bus was going to be in service by the end of the year. From what I've read, I think there might have been a delay with the grant process though I'm honestly not sure. And as Brian pointed out, that is just a mockup using a bus from a different fleet series (Either 251-253 or 259-267). #248, the bus being used for the ZEPS Bus project, looked like this previously.

Any update on if the newest of the ex sound transit 9000s are in service yet and what they have been renumbered to?

They bought 16 used Phantoms this time around, so presumably the fleet numbers will be 293-308.

• 1 month later...

New article regarding the electric bus from Complete Coach Works that will be coming to BFT.

http://www.fleetsandfuels.com/fuels/evs/2013/02/completes-complete-e-bus/

The current range of the prototype is 85 miles between charges (of course that will vary based on the terrain, use of a/c, aggressive driving, etc.) but they say the BFT bus will get 120. Delivery is now expected in late March 2013.

The specs lead me to think it will perform well in town, but poorly on the freeway. Also, based on the continuous power ratings, it probably won't climb Garfield Hill very well.

They also got some specifics mixed up on the coach. It's a 2003 model, not 1995 (Gillig didn't manufacture their first low-floor until 1996, and that went to SKAT/WTA)

If they can get the range up to 120 miles, they'll be able to keep it in service a full day.

Here come the buggies.

The specs lead me to think it will perform well in town, but poorly on the freeway. Also, based on the continuous power ratings, it probably won't climb Garfield Hill very well.

They also got some specifics mixed up on the coach. It's a 2003 model, not 1995 (Gillig didn't manufacture their first low-floor until 1996, and that went to SKAT/WTA)

If they can get the range up to 120 miles, they'll be able to keep it in service a full day.

Here come the buggies.

I'm sure you are right about the freeway. No freeways for this bus-- and hills will be a test.

I think the Jay Leno program on the bus confirmed that the top speed of the prototype is 50 mph.

• 1 month later...

It is being shown around (recent APTA Legislative meeting) and being calibrated and debugged by the superdriver. My guess is I'll get to see it on Monday night.

I'm sure you are right about the freeway. No freeways for this bus-- and hills will be a test.

I think the Jay Leno program on the bus confirmed that the top speed of the prototype is 50 mph.

The coach will have to deadhead to and from the routes it operates on over a freeway where the speed limit is 60mph. My guess is the debugging work has been to get it to operate at that speed or slightly higher. The limitation isn't the motor (as the peak ratings will show you) but the controller pack and batteries. CCW has upgraded the batteries on this bus so it can go 120 miles instead of 90. We'll see, I guess.

One more thing, Ben Franklin Transit no longer has any MCI coaches in their fleet.

Didn't get to see it, it hasn't come onto the property yet.

Hang on though, it'll be around soon enough.

Thanks b for b.

New report at fleetsandfuels.com (dated April 11, 2013) says the following:

"Ben Franklin’s bus, a 1995 Gillig that had logged some 386,000 miles on diesel, is being fitted now with its all-electric drive at CCW’s facility in Riverside, Calif. It’s to be shown at the APTA Bus & Paratransit conference May 5-8 in Indianapolis." http://www.fleetsand...cs-battery-bus/

Thanks b for b.

New report at fleetsandfuels.com (dated April 11, 2013) says the following:

"Ben Franklin’s bus, a 1995 Gillig that had logged some 386,000 miles on diesel, is being fitted now with its all-electric drive at CCW’s facility in Riverside, Calif. It’s to be shown at the APTA Bus & Paratransit conference May 5-8 in Indianapolis." http://www.fleetsand...cs-battery-bus/

We will probably get to see it locally first. It's one of the 2003 LF's, as stated previously.

How ironic about the APTA conference being in Indy... I have a couple of friends who live there.

A few of them ended up at Kitsap Transit for worker-driver service to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

Yes, that was the plan. It took them a fairly long time to accept though.

They should be the 102B3's with 6v92's in them.

We will probably get to see it locally first. It's one of the 2003 LF's, as stated previously.

(snipped)

You locals are on the cutting edge with this project!

BFT must be holding their breath, hoping that the battery and bus is ready for heavy-duty service. With the low price of electricity they stand to save immense amounts on operating costs (operating costs of just 7¢ per mile, as compared to the current $1.03 per miles for diesel, says fleet manager Dick Ciccone) if they ever get a fleet of battery buses that stand up to real work.

• 4 weeks later...

Ben Franklin Transit has the best drivers!

2013 Bus Rodeo:

In the 40-foot bus competition, which is the ultimate test of a bus operator’s driving skills, Paul Klimesh of Iowa-based Ames Transit Agency was named best driver in North America, beating out 50 other competitors to win first place. Taking second place in the 40-foot bus competition was Daniel R. Schmidt of Ben Franklin Transit in Richland, Wash. Third place was claimed by SEPTA’s Zenon Rinylo.

In the 35-foot bus competition, Gabriel Beliz of Ben Franklin Transit won first place as the best bus operator in North America, beating out seventeen of other competitors. Taking second place was Julian Carranza Jr. of Texas-based Corpus Christi Regional Transportation Authority, while third place went to the Central Ohio Transit Authority’s Howard Yoder.

http://www.metro-mag...pion-award.aspx

Brian, you made the call early on that it would have batteries on top.

How did you know? The electric bus (remanufactured from a D40LF) CCW has been showing off does not feature big boxes on the roof.

99% lucky guess, 1% gut feeling based on BYD design having battery packs over front wheelwells and a knowledge that wouldn't fly around here. The only other places to place the battery pack would be the roof or in the former engine compartment.

The BFT ZEPS bus is an improved design over the prototype that is touring the country right now. So there are likely some other differences as well.