LYNX (Central Florida Regional Transit Authority)

MVTArider

22 hours ago, BrownD said:

This whole time, I thought it had voith lol

I've ridden 289 a few times when it was the newest bus in the fleet. Since my interest has tanked, I would've never knew the difference between Voith or ZF Ecolife (if that's what is being used on 289). 

• Thanks 1

On 3/11/2024 at 6:00 PM, Big CJ said:

I've ridden 289 a few times when it was the newest bus in the fleet. Since my interest has tanked, I would've never knew the difference between Voith or ZF Ecolife (if that's what is being used on 289). 

As of now 39-410, and 48-410 are now Training Buses…

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BrownD said:

As of now 39-410, and 48-410 are now Training Buses…

Not surprised. It seems that nearly all of the 2009s and a good chunk of 2010s are retired out now. Not sure if all of the recently retired units are reflected in the roster though.

• Thanks 1

I just saw 50-410 heading to OIA on the 436S, so the 2010s are still running around. Despite Lynx placing that order for 25 buses, it's going to be interesting when they show up. I can imagine with just two bus builders in the US, that's going to create a huge backlog. With that said, here is a couple of photos from my collection back when Lynx was treated with respect in the city, and when we had many bus builders around. Most of these shots were taken by A.J. Reinschmidt on Saturday, May 6, 1995, except for the second shot. That shot was taken in 1994.

53353365337_ee628c3c65.jpg

50941003682_9fa8b17cb4.jpg

49864528913_94ca6b36fb.jpg

53353360132_3ccafac706.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 3/14/2024 at 6:29 PM, Big CJ said:

I just saw 50-410 heading to OIA on the 436S, so the 2010s are still running around. Despite Lynx placing that order for 25 buses, it's going to be interesting when they show up. I can imagine with just two bus builders in the US, that's going to create a huge backlog. With that said, here is a couple of photos from my collection back when Lynx was treated with respect in the city, and when we had many bus builders around. Most of these shots were taken by A.J. Reinschmidt on Saturday, May 6, 1995, except for the second shot. That shot was taken in 1994.

53353365337_ee628c3c65.jpg

50941003682_9fa8b17cb4.jpg

49864528913_94ca6b36fb.jpg

53353360132_3ccafac706.jpg

Btw the 2022 order is voith 

• Thanks 1

I just visited Orlando and saw a good mix of their buses - Lynx, as well as private operators like Mears.

The 2022 and 2023 Gilligs are a common sight around the city now. Below are 350-422 and 367-423. I do have more photos/videos but they weren't as good - these were my best photos taken at the Universal Orlando bus lanes.

y8miXEU.jpg

65mjD9J.jpg

2016 New Flyer XN60 234-616:

Vk6Ija3.jpg

(Not sure if the following belongs here, as they are Orlando's non-Lynx buses. If there's a better thread for them let me know.)

In addition to Lynx, I got a lot of photos of Mears Transportation-operated XD40s and XD60s used for Universal Orlando service. For the XD40s (3500s) I saw units up to 3528 - I know that 3501-3515 are 2016 models; does anyone know what year the units above 3516 are and how many units they have in the 3500-series?

2016 XD40s - 3502, 3507, 3509, 3510, 3514:

ZRgZEGk.jpg

AMHQJFo.jpg

nABTdpa.jpg

FUcBOVe.jpg

mkAmR6q.jpg

Newer XD40s (unknown year) - 3520, 3528:

zplgCyX.jpg

XH0rnCi.jpg

2016 XD60 - 3652:

0mJtdn8.jpg

Some additional information on Mears:

Mears Transportation also operates shuttle service for Swan & Dolphin hotels now - when I stayed there in 2017 it was Disney Transport buses. I didn't get any good photos of them, but they are primarily New Flyer D40LFs. Looks like 3753 is ex-Valley Metro 2007 New Flyer D40LF 6515, and a Google search shows units as high as the low 3760s.

I didn't get any good photos of Disney Transport, but I did see a number of their 2023 Gillig Low Floors which are currently under delivery. Saw a good number of 2004 Gilligs still running as well. I didn't see any 2000-2002 Nova LFS, although I believe a number of them are still active.

In the Universal Studios bus lanes I saw a number of 3900-series Gillig Low Floors operated by Escot Bus Lines wrapped for Universal partner hotel shuttle service. Looks like they had 3900-series New Flyer D40LF and Gillig Phantoms, so I'm guessing these 3900-series Gillig Low Floors are later acquisitions using the same unit numbers (correct me if I'm wrong). I'm also unsure which agency these came from. Below are 3921 and 3928.

mo0WZuW.jpg

TiB0wUT.jpg

Lastly, an operator called OT Destination provides shuttle service from several hotels in the area to Disney/Universal/SeaWorld. I rode their 417 (ex-WMATA 2006 New Flyer D40LFR 6113) and 411 (ex-Lynx 2007 Gillig BRT 628).

LWEOvSE.jpg

kKKve8H.jpg

All in all, Orlando has a very interesting collection of bus systems. Besides Lynx and Disney Transport, the number of private operators in the area running shuttles to theme parks means a lot of used buses from other agencies could find their way here. I'm still looking for more information on the higher 3500-series Mears XD40s and the 3900-series Escot Gillig Low Floors; if anyone has any information on those that would be really helpful!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2024 at 1:24 PM, JLiu1596 said:

All in all, Orlando has a very interesting collection of bus systems. Besides Lynx and Disney Transport, the number of private operators in the area running shuttles to theme parks means a lot of used buses from other agencies could find their way here. I'm still looking for more information on the higher 3500-series Mears XD40s and the 3900-series Escot Gillig Low Floors; if anyone has any information on those that would be really helpful!

Well I can answer the 3500s. They were purchased new by Mears for a contract Universal had for their properties. 3501-3515 built in 2016. As for the 3900 series Gilligs, those might have come from HART in Tampa, but I'm not sure. A lot of HART's buses seem to end up in the Orlando area, as Maingate Transit and Empire Coach have former HART Gilligs. In addition to Lynx's older diesel buses being purchased by shuttle companies, you also have those New Flyer D40LFs from Marta too that are around. Empire Coach also has some of those too. Discover USA Tours has a few former Lynx buses, one of them being a Phantom (567). 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Big CJ said:

Well I can answer the 3500s. They were purchased new by Mears for a contract Universal had for their properties. 3501-3515 built in 2016. As for the 3900 series Gilligs, those might have come from HART in Tampa, but I'm not sure. A lot of HART's buses seem to end up in the Orlando area, as Maingate Transit and Empire Coach have former HART Gilligs. In addition to Lynx's older diesel buses being purchased by shuttle companies, you also have those New Flyer D40LFs from Marta too that are around. Empire Coach also has some of those too. Discover USA Tours has a few former Lynx buses, one of them being a Phantom (567). 

I seen that USA Tours also has Ex-Lynx 586 and 606

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Big CJ said:

3501-3515 built in 2016

I know 3501-3515 are 2016 models. Do you know what year are the buses 3516 and above, and at what number does their 3500-series XD40s end at? The highest I got a photo of was 3528, but I'm pretty sure I saw higher ones (maybe low 3530s).

Edit: found a picture of 3520 from here, it's an article from October 2023 so I'm guessing 3516-353X are rather recent acquisitions.

16 hours ago, Big CJ said:

New Flyer D40LFs from Marta

I saw a blank white D40LF in the Universal bus lanes...wonder if that's one of those. Mears has ex-Valley Metro D40LFs for the Swan & Dolphin shuttles.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JLiu1596 said:

I know 3501-3515 are 2016 models. Do you know what year are the buses 3516 and above, and at what number does their 3500-series XD40s end at? The highest I got a photo of was 3528, but I'm pretty sure I saw higher ones (maybe low 3530s).

Edit: found a picture of 3520 from here, it's an article from October 2023 so I'm guessing 3516-353X are rather recent acquisitions.

I saw a blank white D40LF in the Universal bus lanes...wonder if that's one of those. Mears has ex-Valley Metro D40LFs for the Swan & Dolphin shuttles.

I'm surprised they got ex-WMATA 2006 D40LFRs down there. Wonder if Fairfax Connector will send some of theirs down too.

Any reason why LYNX don't have XN40 CNGs?

• Confused 1

On 3/21/2024 at 5:42 PM, JLiu1596 said:

As for everything from 3516 and up, I have no idea. I do know some XD40s that were rejected by Mears are operating for Yankee Line up north. The rejects are 2021 units. As for the D40LFs, I think more maybe on the way from Georgia (not Atlanta), but I need more confirmation on that, based on a Facebook post I just saw. As for Mears using those D40LFs, I'm not surprised.

They're finding work elsewhere, as Academy Bus has taken over a lot of the contracts Mears had. Mears still have their 1997 NABI 416s on their property, but I heard from a friend they're about to be or in the process of disposing those. He's hoping to get at least one of those buses saved, so far I haven't heard back from that friend on what's going on with them. All were parked running when COVID happened. 

10 hours ago, New Yorker 2001 said:

I'm surprised they got ex-WMATA 2006 D40LFRs down there. Wonder if Fairfax Connector will send some of theirs down too.

Any reason why LYNX don't have XN40 CNGs?

Reason why Lynx doesn't have XN40s, they've had some reliability issues with the XN60s. The XN60s have caught on fire numerous times last year. Not sure how many have been retired due to fires, but it's been getting out of control. I hope Lynx has had a conversation with New Flyer about it. Page 19 of this thread, I explain to everyone I've never seen this happen with any other bus in this city before.

Even when the diesel Gillig BRTs were new, they weren't this bad, and they had a more drama filled entry into revenue service than any other bus Orlando has had in its entire 52 years as a public transit property. Despite that, the oldest XN60s are now in their eighth year of service, so the new bus problem can't be used anymore, along with the units built in 2019.

The CNG Gilligs have their issues too, but I think Lynx is confident they can make them work, despite the issues they have. Lynx has seemed to have abandoned electric buses, cause nothing is mentioned about further acquisitions of them. Just more CNG buses being acquired to eliminate diesel buses by 2025, which is dumb on their part.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Big CJ said:

As for everything from 3516 and up, I have no idea. I do know some XD40s that were rejected by Mears are operating for Yankee Line up north. The rejects are 2021 units. As for the D40LFs, I think more maybe on the way from Georgia (not Atlanta), but I need more confirmation on that, based on a Facebook post I just saw. As for Mears using those D40LFs, I'm not surprised.

They're finding work elsewhere, as Academy Bus has taken over a lot of the contracts Mears had. Mears still have their 1997 NABI 416s on their property, but I heard from a friend they're about to be or in the process of disposing those. He's hoping to get at least one of those buses saved, so far I haven't heard back from that friend on what's going on with them. All were parked running when COVID happened. 

Reason why Lynx doesn't have XN40s, they've had some reliability issues with the XN60s. The XN60s have caught on fire numerous times last year. Not sure how many have been retired due to fires, but it's been getting out of control. I hope Lynx has had a conversation with New Flyer about it. Page 19 of this thread, I explain to everyone I've never seen this happen with any other bus in this city before.

Even when the diesel Gillig BRTs were new, they weren't this bad, and they had a more drama filled entry into revenue service than any other bus Orlando has had in its entire 52 years as a public transit property. Despite that, the oldest XN60s are now in their eighth year of service, so the new bus problem can't be used anymore, along with the units built in 2019.

The CNG Gilligs have their issues too, but I think Lynx is confident they can make them work, despite the issues they have. Lynx has seemed to have abandoned electric buses, cause nothing is mentioned about further acquisitions of them. Just more CNG buses being acquired to eliminate diesel buses by 2025, which is dumb on their part.

Most of the 2015-16 CNG Gilligs have reached over 600,000 miles I heard from an operator… time flies by nowadays.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BrownD said:

Most of the 2015-16 CNG Gilligs have reached over 600,000 miles I heard from an operator… time flies by nowadays.

The Grummans had that mileage when they were 14 years old, and in their last year of service for Lynx, maybe a little more, but there is a reason why many of them got sold off. About 6-8 Grummans went to Transit Sales, where the exteriors were repainted and they were used as shuttles at Grand Canyon, a number of them stayed here in Orlando, and some went out of state. I wonder what Lynx plans to do as the CNG fleet ages? That's going to be a very interesting case there, as a diesel bus needs little to be pressed back into service for another bus company. CNG buses are a different, but I assume if the tanks are recertified they should be good, since the buses I assume have 20 year tanks in them. In a couple years, it'll get even more interesting when the X10 engine becomes available for buses, discontinuing the L9 engine, and I assume it's CNG variation. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Big CJ said:

The first incidents have been alarming, and not just LYNX, but a few of the northeast agencies have dealt with the same recently too.

As for electrics, if anything, they'll order Gillig EVs since no one wants to gamble with Proterra anymore due to the bankruptcy.

The other big problem that LYNX has with relation to the CNGs is that the facility that they lease out in Kissimmee has no CNG infrastructure, which is why the older diesels hang out there. I have no idea if a permanent south region facility is planned at this time or not.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Big CJ said:

MARTA is another system with multiple XN60 fires, Like 5-6 of them, and they got a very small fleet of those buses. Around 20 units.

• Sad 1

Here is a very interesting situation. Lynx has been hinting in some of the board reports, that they plan to phase out diesel buses come next year. Are they realistically going to deadhead buses from LOC to Osceola? IDK if they're planning to build a new facility between now and 2025, but even then, that's ambitious for even this region. I've been scratching my head about this for a bit now. 

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Big CJ said:

Here is a very interesting situation. Lynx has been hinting in some of the board reports, that they plan to phase out diesel buses come next year. Are they realistically going to deadhead buses from LOC to Osceola? IDK if they're planning to build a new facility between now and 2025, but even then, that's ambitious for even this region. I've been scratching my head about this for a bit now. 

It's really a conundrum that I hope they resolve sooner or later. Deadheading buses from Orange County isn't going to do them much good.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, HR2012TPA said:

It's really a conundrum that I hope they resolve sooner or later. Deadheading buses from Orange County isn't going to do them much good.

I think they're going to do it. It's not odd for buses in Osceola to find their way to routes coming out of LOC and vice versa. When I use to actively fan, 353 (1998 Gillig Phantom) got around, despite being a 14 year old bus in 2012. On some days it would run on the 38, but I've seen it and ridden it on routes like 54, 7, and even 56 on several occasions. Right around the time the BRTs started showing up for Lynx in 2006, buses like 268 and 271, were often in the same situation. One day on the 38, the next week or so out there on the 10 or 26. Buses were not always assigned to one place back then, something to remember. So I guess Lynx maybe willing to do it, despite the mileage on the CNG buses getting higher that way.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BrownD said:

I got news on 132-613, it’s not retired, but it’s sitting in the back of the depot, Been back there for some years.

I wonder what they're planning to do with it? I guess the Novas have been out of service due to all the issues they've had with the hybrid buses, but the Novas, Lynx has had issues getting parts from Nova, which doesn't make sense. So I hope that means further use for those buses. 

• Thanks 1

I was just informed all of the 2015 diesel Gilligs are being rehabbed. It includes new rims, engines, seat upgrades, and other stuff being repaired. No word on whether any buses older than the 2015s will get a similar rehab, but that's something new. Before anyone asks, no I don't know why Lynx is doing this. Also, a number of Mears' 1997 NABIs are now owned by Escot Bus Lines. Two have been spotted running by someone, and I have a feeling Escot has more thin just two buses as it wouldn't make sense to get just two buses. Going back to Lynx, a Nova artic was spotted running on OBT yesterday, I presume it was 189? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Big CJ said:

I was just informed all of the 2015 diesel Gilligs are being rehabbed. It includes new rims, engines, seat upgrades, and other stuff being repaired. No word on whether any buses older than the 2015s will get a similar rehab, but that's something new. Before anyone asks, no I don't know why Lynx is doing this. Also, a number of Mears' 1997 NABIs are now owned by Escot Bus Lines. Two have been spotted running by someone, and I have a feeling Escot has more thin just two buses as it wouldn't make sense to get just two buses. Going back to Lynx, a Nova artic was spotted running on OBT yesterday, I presume it was 189? 

That’s interesting, but I always wondered how did 554 get wrecked…

• Thanks 1