Brantford Transit

Aztek985

Are you sure on that one ?

Last time I checked they both had the 6V71N :rolleyes:

They are not the exact same. If they were the same, it would be NO problem to put 9818's engine into 9793. I am not an engine expert, I don't take auto, and I don't honestly care about the engine types or any of that.

Great shots Kyle,

Can you get the VIN numbers of the Novas when you have a chance?

Ya, sure, next time I'm at the garage, which probably won't be for awhile.

Is 9818 a ex Utah one? if it is then it should have a 6v92TA?

Yes, 9818 is ex-Utah. Again I don't know about the engines.

They are not the exact same. If they were the same, it would be NO problem to put 9818's engine into 9793. I am not an engine expert, I don't take auto, and I don't honestly care about the engine types or any of that.

Ya, sure, next time I'm at the garage, which probably won't be for awhile.

Yes, 9818 is ex-Utah. Again I don't know about the engines.

Even if it were different, It shouldn't be a big problem putting a 6V92TA engine where a 6V71N was ( UNLESS ! It was a 1987? Onward engine where it has the larger computer crap on it. which isnt the case)

Even if it were different, It shouldn't be a big problem putting a 6V92TA engine where a 6V71N was ( UNLESS ! It was a 1987? Onward engine where it has the larger computer crap on it. which isnt the case)

That would take longer just to retrofitted another bus. Besides, why bother?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just curious, but what buses have been seen as of late in Brantford from the half-hour at the terminal?

Additionally, are there any plans for Brantford Transit to do some serious expansion? A second terminal?

Same old same old. Maybe something changed over Spring Break, I'll venture out to see tomorrow. 4A has been 100% lowfloor for 5 weeks, and 4C has been close to 100% lowfloor.

Currently there are no plans for expansion, certainly not a second terminal.

Same old same old. Maybe something changed over Spring Break, I'll venture out to see tomorrow. 4A has been 100% lowfloor for 5 weeks, and 4C has been close to 100% lowfloor.

When I was driving taxi I always heard about the complaining about the lack of decent transit service here, 20 yrs ago it was decent. Problem is for a lot of people riding the bus is not "cool". Ridership went down so BT slashed their service.

So until people ride the bus more, the service as it is now will remain the same.

Heck even the Greyhound counter inside the terminal is now closed weekends.

:mellow:

So what did you see on March 19th? I wouldn't mind in seeing one of those reports in the "General Transit Sightings" thread.

Anyways, I bring that up Kyle W only due to the fact that we've been trying to assemble a good route/schedule plan for Brantford. As you've mentioned to me not too long ago, you believe that a second terminal would be a viable option at the Lynden Park Mall.

Additionally, with the expansion of that ciyt as a whole, it seems to me as if that the transit service just doesn't seem to match the cities' growth or population. What do you think?

I wouldn't mind in seeing you come up with a good route/schedule plan so that others, myself included, can comment on what are good ideas.

Peace :mellow:

Bus # 9793 was scrapped today and left on the back of a tow truck. Maybe with some new money from the provincial and federal goverments some of the old tired buses can be retired, as they a really starting to show their age.

Bus # 9793 was scrapped today and left on the back of a tow truck. Maybe with some new money from the provincial and federal goverments some of the old tired buses can be retired, as they a really starting to show their age.

Well that sucks !! Our Cambridge Transit Pride is gone now :lol: Ohwell, Theres a photo of 9793 hanging in the Ainslie St. Terminal (Thanks to me :lol: ) (Don't go looking for it, Because its in the back area where access is restricted, I havent even Seen it, and its MY photo ! I've just been told about it by a few operators)

Well that sucks !! Our Cambridge Transit Pride is gone now :lol: Ohwell, Theres a photo of 9793 hanging in the Ainslie St. Terminal (Thanks to me :D ) (Don't go looking for it, Because its in the back area where access is restricted, I havent even Seen it, and its MY photo ! I've just been told about it by a few operators)

I know its sad to see some of the older buses to be sent out to pasture like that. Brantford Transit took very good care of these buses, but over time corrosion and decay have caught up and it's harder to meet the emission standards for these units. They just had one of there older Nova's hit over 200,000 kms with the first rear brake service. Probally some of the Utah buses will be the next to retire, later on this year. :lol:

Ah, so 9793 WAS scrapped? I drove by the garage today, and saw 9793 had been removed from it's resting spot. 9814 is still sitting out there though, being used for parts. According the the last photo I saw from GMC9812, 9793 hadn't had any parts removed ... as if they were preserving it :lol: .

Nick, expect expansion plans within the next couple years. There are a few hot spots for residential development at the moment around Brantford. The routes were expanded a year or two ago to incorporate these expansions, however they've grown much bigger since then. I'm specifically talking about Shellards Ln. Also, Brantford just bought a whole batch of land north, east, and south of the city from the county which is to be transfered to the city by 2008, expect Brantford Transit to look into expanding into these areas once development gets going, as these areas will consist largely of industrial, residential, and a small bit of commercial development.

BRANTFORD TRANSIT 2007 UPDATES:

Coming September 2007

Unless there is a change in plans, starting this September, Brantford Transit will be offering a U-Pass, the same one already offered by GRT. This will allow students of the Brantford Laurier campus to have a pass available for their purchase. With this news, we can expect major service changes coming to Brantford! One thing I know about is service will be expanded one hour, Monday to Friday; service will end at 1AM, not 12AM. I'm sure more details are to come, stay tuned and I'll let you know when I hear more!

Brantford's 2007 Tender is IN!

Brantford Transit has placed their 2007 tender. The tender is for the supply and delivery of up to 5 lowfloor transit buses. April 19th, 2:00PM. Any bids placed after this time and date will not be accepted. My money is going on Nova again ...

BRANTFORD TRANSIT 2007 UPDATES:

Coming September 2007

Unless there is a change in plans, starting this September, Brantford Transit will be offering a U-Pass, the same one already offered by GRT. This will allow students of the Brantford Laurier campus to have a pass available for their purchase. With this news, we can expect major service changes coming to Brantford! One thing I know about is service will be expanded one hour, Monday to Friday; service will end at 1AM, not 12AM. I'm sure more details are to come, stay tuned and I'll let you know when I hear more!

Is there any information on the Brantford Transit website? Thus far I've been unsuccessful at finding any information.

I do think that Brantford needs to expand seeing as there could be more buses which they have on their roster then compared to what they use in any regular service day.

My opinions...the Dial-A-Bus routes gotta go and to be replaced by some of the routes which would use hourly service.

Saturday service can certainly use an upgrade. Half hour service on the more busier routes and hourly on others.

With a route to the NWIA, why not have an NEIA route? Makes sense...

Is there any information on the Brantford Transit website? Thus far I've been unsuccessful at finding any information.

I do think that Brantford needs to expand seeing as there could be more buses which they have on their roster then compared to what they use in any regular service day.

My opinions...the Dial-A-Bus routes gotta go and to be replaced by some of the routes which would use hourly service.

Saturday service can certainly use an upgrade. Half hour service on the more busier routes and hourly on others.

With a route to the NWIA, why not have an NEIA route? Makes sense...

You won't find any information yet, the pass has to be passed by the city first, then this will all take effect. Seems like it will, it has a lot of support, all the university kids want it, and Brantford Transit is more than willing to create this pass, so stay tuned.

Yes, Brantford Transit needs to expand its routes. NEIA is pretty much all serviced by routes 7 and 9. I am hoping for more advanced route expansions too, but only time will tell ...

• 4 weeks later...

Found out today from Paul, route expansions are being planned. The NWIA special will soon become a regular route (obviously route 3 or 10) however no word on the schedule. I'm assuming it'll follow the current special's schedule. Also, the 8 Holmedale-Mayfair route will be expanded further north, torwards the city's new development areas around Powerline Road.

Also, routes 2, 4A, and 4C, are now 100% accessible! B)

Also, I'm trying to find out who the tender of 5 new lowfloor buses was awarded to. Paul didn't know, I'll try to find out. Most likely Nova.

Found out today from Paul, route expansions are being planned. The NWIA special will soon become a regular route (obviously route 3 or 10) however no word on the schedule. I'm assuming it'll follow the current special's schedule. Also, the 8 Holmedale-Mayfair route will be expanded further north, torwards the city's new development areas around Powerline Road.

Also, routes 2, 4A, and 4C, are now 100% accessible! B)

Also, I'm trying to find out who the tender of 5 new lowfloor buses was awarded to. Paul didn't know, I'll try to find out. Most likely Nova.

Sounds to me as if we'll know where the lowfloor buses will be going. This would at least allow some of the other routes to be given some highfloors. So with that said, the sightings would be more for the routes which would be mix-floors...do you agree?

Expanded further north? The 8 can do that, but with that in mind, it'd have to split from its "Holmedale" portion of the schedule and route, making it a full hour where as the regular Holmedale route would be seperate with its own route and schedule for its ridership situation.

I'm not surprised that the NWIA would become a regular route. I'd say, more likely Route 10 would be the best choice. Specials' schedule? If you're referring to the fact that it won't be every half hour then I don't know what it'd do.

Lastly, what about the other expansion situations?

• 2 weeks later...

9825 was retired from service Friday night.

R.I.P. #9825. :P

9825_1.jpg

Is 9825 sitting out back or did they already scrap it?

Just looked at my transit website, gotta update it soon! I'm hoping somebody at city hall drinks the coffee and opens their eyes, and this is going to sound weird coming from a taxi driver... :lol: Brantford Transit needs to revert back to normal 30 minute service everyday of the week.

That has got to be the chief complaint I hear from passengers getting in my cab at the terminal who get sick of waiitng for the bus. Also lots of people are moving here and they don't realize the wonky service after 6pm and on weekends, I've stopped many times and told Transit's passengers their bus isn't coming or it'll be an hour before it does.